Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fa64b9b780d3b960718bd949221deb49Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tutorials on D-ring/Hook attachment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iheartbooks (Kara)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Tutorials on D-ring/Hook attachment? Reply with quote

I'm making a Generic Jedi and am trying to decide how I want to attach my lightsaber to my belt. The costume standards say this:

Lightsaber Clip: Covertec or similar style lightsaber clip OR a hook/clip for lightsaber on belt.
a. For the “hook/clip” type of lightsaber attachment, the lightsaber (itself) will likely have a D-ring (similar to the connection system for the armored Darth Vader and Old Ben lightsabers).

For the covertec route, it's easy, I order the two parts and am done. What I'm trying to find are examples of how others have done the d-ring/hook type of attachment.

Are there any tutorials on these?
Are there any really good WIP threads about this?

I appreciate the help! The search function is not helping me find specifics.
dannv ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any tutorials. The originals were pop riveted to the base of the sabers. You can mount a d-ring with a tab without a lot of trouble.

What saber are you trying to put the d-ring on? If it's a TCSS build, you could try the forums there.

If I get my swotr era saber done soon, I'll take pics of how I go about mounting the d-ring, but I haven't gotten that far yet. I've just turned the main aluminum parts.
iheartbooks (Kara)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the super basic Ultrasaber Initiate v2.

So, you're putting a d-ring on the end of the saber and on the belt (what the purpose of this one)? What kind of hook will you use? Unless I'm missing something, 2 d-rings do not equal an attached saber?

I would love to see pics of how you mount the d-ring when you get to it!
dannv ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You put a d-ring on the saber and a hook on the belt. A hook with a bit of spring to it will keep the saber from falling off arse easily, but doesn't look like the hook on Luke's belt.

I just went and looked at their pics for the Initiate V2. If you have it with a solid screw-in pommel, you've got it easy. Get a d-ring with a tab, either like this or like this or like this . Drill and tap one or two holes, depending on the d-ring and screw the d-right on.

It will hang something like this . The hook is a replica of Luke's and a few vendors sell them online as well as other hooks that should work.

If you have sound in the bottom and a vented pommel, you'll need something more like the first d-ring and mount it on the side of the saber with the curved side towards the saber.

(Note I found these images by searching Google for "light saber d-ring" if you need more ideas. None of these pics are mine.)

I hope that helps. Smile
iheartbooks (Kara)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be super sleep deprived because I hadn't thought to add "d-ring" to my google search of "lightsaber hooks." I feel a little dumb, but I do appreciate the help. I know that Tandy sells those little d-rings with metal tabs and spring hooks.

And yes, I do have the screw-in pommel.

Thank you!
dannv ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're most welcome. If you run into questions, give a shout.
cla0903 ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: saber design Reply with quote

Dannv I was look at your saber Dring pictures. I am making a Luke ESB saber and I was wondering if they would approve the simple D ring or if it needs to look more like the first picture you posted with the thicker metal bracket? Ben
dannv ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: saber design Reply with quote

cla0903 wrote:
Dannv I was look at your saber Dring pictures. I am making a Luke ESB saber and I was wondering if they would approve the simple D ring or if it needs to look more like the first picture you posted with the thicker metal bracket? Ben

For a face character, make it look like the character's.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: saber design Reply with quote

cla0903 wrote:

they sell the "D-ring with the thick metal bracket" at the custom saber shop.
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/D-Rings-C46.aspx
out of stock right now, unfortunately, you just need to wait for them to get it back in stock.

read about it here:
http://www.partsofsw.com/esbsksab.htm

Quote:
The D-ring assembly on the bottom of the lightsaber is the same type used on Luke's Droid Caller from A New Hope (which became the Fusion Cutter for ESB). The piece originally came from an old Kobold camera flash....

There were several different Luke lightsabers made for The Empire Strikes Back, all of them had this assembly. One version, seen most clearly stuck in the ice inside the Wampa's cave, had the assembly flipped over....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: