I have some great news! We have the chance to be a bigger part of the Lucasfilm float building experience than we had originally anticipated. The float building company really needs our help and we will have a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be a part of something unique in Star Wars fandom!
To that end, see below for a handful of dates we are targeting for group decorating efforts. Also, please note the following guidelines:
1. All volunteers must be at least 11 years of age.
2. Each volunteer should bring a pair of scissors. If you are volunteering on a dry decoration day, you should also bring a chair and wear weather-appropriate attire as you may be asked to work outside.
3. Wear "grubby" clothing and close-toed shoes. Costumes are allowed, but wear them at your own risk.
4. If you sign up for a shift, please be prepared to stay for the entire time. Each shift is given a 40 minute lunch break. You are encouraged to bring a sack lunch, although there are several fast food restaurants within a mile.
5. You must be able to provide your own transportation to/from Azusa. We will arrange carpools to the best of our ability. Street parking is available around the facility.
6. Cameras are allowed but the float decorating company is not responsible for loss or damage. No radios, CD players, MP3 players or headphones are allowed.
Dates & Shifts
Dry decorating (working with dry materials, cutting, prepping, blending, application of dried material to the floats). Deadline to sign up is November 26th:
Dec 9th 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Dec 10th 8:30am - 4:30 pm
Dec 16th 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Dec 17th 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Decoration Week (all of the above, plus application of fresh material to the floats). Deadline to sign up is December 3rd:
Dec 29th Shift 1: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Dec 29th Shift 2: 6:00 pm - 12:00 am
Dec 30th Shift 1: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Dec 30th Shift 2: 7:00 pm - 3:00 am
Dec 31st Shift 3 3:00 am - 10:00 am**
**According to our contact at the float building company, this is a very important shift. Although it sounds challenging, there is one cool incentive for those working 3am - 10am: This is when the judging happens! You will get to see the float up close with the characters on board and with the animation going and music playing.
Please EMAIL ME at firstname.lastname@example.org the following required information:
Names of all participants in your party
And finally, our contact at the float building company has assured me that anyone signing up with our group will be able to work on preparation for, or decoration of, the LFL floats. She also indicated that we can take group photos (in or out of costume) before or after our shifts, but work on the float cannot stop while we do so.
As a last thing, if anyone has a dying urge to help decorate but none of the dates/times work fo you, email Kim Knight at email@example.com and she will try to work something out.