Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6f4cef7b1799cd16ff317045047c5cf7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Skywalker (Tally Smith)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A Reply with quote

I'm working on the EpIII green velvet dress. My problem is putting the symbols on it. I made a stamp of the symbol and laid the material over it and put the iron on the material. After about an hour, the stamp started to melt so I took a break letting it cool down. When I came back ten mintute later, all the symbols that I had done had vanished!

My plan is to try again, but this time after it dries form the iron, paint clear nail polish over it to keep the fibers down (since I will be painting over it with a purple fabric pen anyway). Do you think that this will work? Any suggestions?

Thanx!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Queen Amidala (Mary Alice Ladd)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A Reply with quote

Note: Edited the topic name to make it more descriptive.

And here is some info from Ep III Padme & Handmaiden MINIMUM Costume Standard thread were Tally mentioned the problem she was having:

Quote: Originally posted by TSkywalker on 27 November 2006

Green velvet: I'm having a very difficult time putting the designs in the velvet.

If your having problems replicating elements in your costume, I'm sure one of the ladies that has completed the costume will be able to give you pointers on how to make the designs. Also see Construction Details & Making of Tips for some excellent tutorials.

The original costume uses a burnout/devoré method, but hand paiting, stenciling, embroidery, appliqué would all be acceptable techniques to use.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A Reply with quote

Here are few tips I have found (many are the same tips recycled from other sites):

Most of the directions only call for 20 to 30 seconds of heat. One hour  , that sounds way too long. Was that total time your worked on all of your designs, or just one design  

Tips from the various sites include:

• Always test your fabric and embosser first. What works for one may not work for another.
  • If you're not sure about a velvet's compatibility with this technique, purchase a small amount to take home and test before investing in yardage for a project.
  • Velvet with a high rayon content (all rayon or rayon-acetate/rayon-silk blends)
  • Choose a silk, rayon or rayon/acetate velvet (or any velvet that blends these fibers). Avoid nylon, polyester or any washable velvet.
  • Rubber stamps with strong, bold design lines (if you're not carving your own)
    A warning: some foam stamps may be ruined by the heat. 
  • Press firmly for about 20 seconds, and lift the iron straight up off the fabric. If it's not completely dry, you may want to press again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A Reply with quote

An hour for one design?! geez!!! No, in an hour I had done all the designs around the bottom of the dress. Thank you for you help, but I'm afraid that I can't use those site to emboss it because it's not real velvet so it would melt (That's what padwans guide said anyway.) I just wanted to see if anyone thought that the nailpolish idea was a bad idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A Reply with quote

• Have you just tried stamping the design directly on the fabric using textile paint?
  • Or stenciling the design on with textile paint?

Wouldn't nail polish make it hard for the paint to stick?

Ewok78 (Mange Caroline)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A Reply with quote

I think you should use this : http://www.silkpaint.com/fiberetch/index.htm
Arsinoe ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A Reply with quote

Fibre etch only works on materials with two different types of fibers...a protein and a cellulose.  You need the rayon pile on a silk backing for the process to work in the case of this dress - ie Silk Velvet.  If her dress isn't made of silk velvet .... then the fibre etch could do a fair bit of damage depending on what the fibers are.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A Reply with quote

http://www.silkpaint.com/fiberetch/index.htm

*Cotton, linen, and rayon yarns ("plant" fibers) are completely removed with Fiber Etch. With blended fabrics, the synthetic, silk, or wool yarns which remain after etching leave decorative effects, appearing almost as if they were woven into the fabric.

The same tip for embossing applies to etching:

• If you're not sure about a velvet's compatibility with this technique, purchase a small amount to take home and test before investing in yardage for a project.
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help! I'm afraid that etching it it wll ruin it because It's not silk velvet. And the dress is already made and I don't have any scarp material left to test. I decided to make the designs way after this dress was made.

I think I'll try the textile paint idea. I like that!

Arsinoe ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A Reply with quote

Piece of advice, do small test patches of the textile paint on the hem on the underside of the skirt.  That way you get an idea of how to use the paint and how it will look but it's on a part of the dress no one will ever see.  If you don't like the type of results you're getting there's  no harm done.

Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A Reply with quote

Thank you Arsinoe!! I will do that and I'll post my reults once I get the chance to do this.
Arsinoe ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A Reply with quote

Cool.  I can't wait to see the results!

btw, if folks want to know more about fibre etch, what it works on, how it works and safety issues with it, here's a really good link from someone that's worked with it.  Beware, there are pictures of skin damage to illustrate the necessity for proper safety gear.

http://www.naergilien.info/tutorials/burnoutvelvet.htm

Princess Dee ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A Reply with quote

Tally,

I hope your project turns out well! I know how scarry it can be appling paint to perfectly good fabric. Done it several time myself.

I've used the etching technique several times, and have had no problems with it efecting my skin or the fabric. I've only ever used the Fiber Etch from Silkpaint though. (Just another option for anyone wanting to try etching.)

Dee
scarlet ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A Reply with quote

wow...talk about scaring me out of using FiberEtch!

Good luck, Tally!! I was thinking of doing the same thing when I make my green gown, too. Did you get the olive velvet from syfabrics?

I was actually thinking of making a stencil, or stamping it, but I've yet to do test runs. I'd love to see your results! Very Happy

Has anyone found any sources for metal beading rasters? I can't ever find them-- save dismantling my own, old jewelry, and I lost my last Padme brooch, so it's looking like I'm going to need another.
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A Reply with quote

The other day I took my Dressing the Galaxy book with me on a troop I did with the 501st (they let me come because I'm the only Rebel in Tallahassee), but we were looking at it on the long car ride.

Anyway, when we were looking at this dress in there I told them my delima and they has a pretty interesting solution. Nose trimmers! SIne that's basically all it is, clearing out the tiny fibers.

So I'm gonna make a stamp to put an outline on the material and use nose trimmers. Don't worry, I'll test it on the hem first.

Now I just gotta go buy some nose trimmers...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: