Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8a8dd4525aa62e9a1d2a5cf8f53a5ae1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Helmet lining

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jupiter Thunderbolt ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:28 am    Post subject: Helmet lining Reply with quote

I'm finishing up my X-Wing helmet and all that's left is the lining. Right now I have a bunch of cut up yoga mat pieces inside of it, which does the job but is super ugly. I've read quite a bit about using foam, or knee pads, or other options, and I have a few questions...

If I cut my own foam, what is the best foam to use? Specifically, what is the best foam to have squished up against my forehead? I was looking at window insulation foam, but I have sensitive skin and I'm worried about having a bad reaction to industrial materials. Does anybody know what kind of foam do they use in hockey helmets?

What about after-market motorcycle helmets? I'm tempted to buy something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/LS2-Helmets-Liner-FF386-X-Large/dp/B00CBWLBS0/ref=sr_1_24?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1435979675&sr=1-24
But I can't tell if it's the right general shape or what size to get. I mean, it's $20, I could just take a chance and see what I get, but I'd certainly appreciate any advice from someone with more motorcycle helmet knowledge than I have

Any other ideas? Thanks!!
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know that a lot of the pilots do use knee pads, like this one...
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/ultimate-knee-pad-inserts-35536.aspx?src=T13WFSHP1&admkt=&mkwid=s6EmjOJpu_dc&pcrid=59582417761&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CO6Q-IyAwcYCFUdhfgod26AFnQ

If you wanted to user a motorcycle helmet liner that would probably work but, yeah, I don't know about the shape. You might have to modify it a bit. You could try looking through a motorcycle helmet shop and see what they have. There's a Harley Davidson motorcycle shop across from the Washington Square Toys 'R Us, and there's another store around there, too, that has a ton of motorcycle stuff... I went looking there for a visor for my B-wing pilot helmet a couple years ago, though I can't really remember what it's called or where exactly it is... I'll have to think on it.

Also, Deek & Brian's Next Adventure might have something in their bicycle gear. Like a bicycle helmet liner or something. There's also Andy & Bax, they might have something in the military gear or downstairs in their adventuring gear. Andy & Bax has some military tank helmet liners if I remember correctly, over in their bins of vintage and surplus military helmets.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jupiter Thunderbolt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So smart! I didn't even think of Andy & Bax or Next Adventure. I've pretty much just wandered around the sporting goods section of Freddie's and looked on Amazon. I'll check them out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: