Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=471b7ce99d00c6798f9890d66906cdffMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

[New] Prequel Jedi
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO Standards Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: [New] Prequel Jedi Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

Please have a look at the following costume standard proposal and post your thoughts, ideas, suggestions in this thread.

The LCJs have been discussing this for a while and this is a proposal we'd like to put forward.

This will be one of a few 'generic' jedi categories. As there are many eras emcompassing many different looks, the idea was to categorise each era with their specific generic looks.

Currently, the generic categories we have are:

Generic Old Republic Jedi
Generic KOTOR I Jedi
Generic Jedi General (Clone Wars)
The Old Republic Armoured Jedi
and the standard Generic Jedi

This proposal is for Prequel Jedi (covering episodes I-III)

This is a proposal and not set in stone, we can tweak it!

Initial discussion I'd like to set as two weeks, but I understand we may need longer, let's see how it goes

Smile

Prequel Jedi Costume Standards

Required:

1. Outer tunic (OT):
a. Full sleeve to the wrist.
b. No martial arts wear allowed. (E.g. judo/karate gi).
c. Sleeveless or half sleeve (to the elbow) outer tunics may be used with an IT. No vests, or sleeveless V-neck type sweaters may be worn as a sleeveless OT.
d. OTs must have a collar (approximately 1 inch to 2 inches wide).
e. OTs length may be mid-thigh (to at least cover the buttocks), knee length, floor/ankle length or anywhere inbetween those lenghts.

2. Tabards:
Must extend at least to or past the bottom hem of the OT on the front. The back tabards may end under the obi or may extend to or past the bottom hem of the OT (e.i. be the same length as the front tabards). For OTs that are longer (past the knee or to the floor or where a full length skirt is worn), the tabard length may be shorter. (Around or past knee length).
a. Tabard construction should be such that the front tabards do not overlap. This is often accomplished by constructing the tabards in a “Y” formation where any seam joining the tabard below the obi to the tabard above the obi is covered by the obi. Tabards may cross in the back. Tabards may be sewn together in the back.
b. Scarf-style tabards, having an around-the-neck design, are permitted.
c. A single front tabard, centrally located (covering the crotch area) is permitted.
d. The end of the front tabard(s) may have a variable design (square, rounded, triangular, octagonal, etc.)
e. Tabards may have borders and/or varying decorative symbols or other decorations (such as Aurekbesh, etc.). The decorations/designs should not obviously be from an Earth-bound period or culture (Renaissance, Celtic, Asian, tribal, etc.)
f. Leather or pleather tabards are permitted.
g. Tabard width should generally be from the seam at the collar of the OT to the edge of the shoulder (and be a similar width as the obi). A common sense should be used in selecting tabard width, and the width should be proportional to the costumer’s body.

3. Obi (Sash):
The obi wraps around the waist, and must be wider than the belt and/or of a similar width as the tabards.
a. Obi closures (velcro, snaps, etc.) should not be visible.
b. Leather or pleather obi are permitted.
c. Obi may have borders.

4. Jedi Belt:
Black or Brown Utility Belt. All belts should be proportional to wearer:

* Style A: Similar to Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon belt: Wide leather main (inner, against the obi) belt with a thinner secondary belt (outer) on top of the main belt, and a movie-style or similar buckle on the secondary belt.
a. Thinner secondary belt cannot be loose or "sag".
b. The inner belt should be held in place by button studs. (Used to help anchor the outer/thinner belt to the inner/wider belt). Generally, Sam Browne button studs are permitted.

* Style B: Similar to Adi Gallia's belt: Wide leather main belt with a smaller belt woven through the wider belt. Smaller belt should have a buckle in front. Belt can be two color, but one color is preferred.

* Style C: Similar to Barriss Offee, Saesee Tiin and Shaak Ti belt: Singular wide belt with a big (adorned) buckle. The buckle must not be obvious Earth-bound. Buckle can be round, square, rectangular, octogonal, oval. Exact replications of face character buckles should not be used for non face character jedi.

a. Belts are generally two inches to two and a half inches wide, but the width should be in proportion to the wearer. Very tall or large costumers may need a wider belt. Very short people may need a narrower belt.
b. Belt closures (velcro, snaps, etc.) should not be visible.
c. No Earth-bound buckles or buckles that obviously belong to an Earth-bound period, culture or to other sci-fi/fantasy genres.

5. Lightsaber:
No plastic toy sabers, no Ultimate FX short saber. The lightsaber may be a static prop (hilt-only). Attached blade(s), LED lights, and sound effects are allowed, but not required.
a. Metal hilt lightsabers are preferred, though custom lightsabers constructed of other materials are permitted.
b. Blade colors accepted are: blue, green, yellow, orange, white and violet. No red, pink or black blades.
c. Double-blade sabers are allowed.

6. Lightsaber Clip:
Covertec or similar style lightsaber clip.

7. Pants or skirt:
a. Pants should largely be non-descript without decoration. Traditional pants pockets are permitted, but must not be visible (e.g., hidden under the skirt of the OT).
b. No cargo pants.
d. No hakamas.
e. Skirts should be long enough so that no bare skin is visible, and may be floor length.
f. No Corellian Blood Stripes (Han Solo Pants).

8. Boots.

Brown or Black Boots – Leather or leather-like (no rubber boots).
a. Over-the-calf or half way up the calf, but not above the knee.
b. No visible laces or outside zippers. Inside zippers are permitted.
c. Straps & shin-spats are allowed but not required (though can be used to cover laces and zippers).
d. Boots and belts should match, i.e., black and black or brown and brown. No black/brown combinations.
e. Buckles are permitted, but should complement the boot and not detract from the overall look of the Jedi costume.
f. Flat or low-heeled, 2 inches maximum. Spike heels are not permitted.

9. No visible t-shirts.

10. Permitted Colors for Outer Tunics, Inner Tunics, Tabards, Obi, Pants/Skirt and Robes/Cloaks(capes): Earth tone colors, preferably shades of brown, gray, black and white. Other earth tones are allowed:

Other earth tones are allowed: greens, blues, yellows, violets and reds (where the reds are darker and in the burgundy family), but they should be low saturation. (subdued/muted).

No bright or loud (sharp) colors are allowed (examples would include: bright red/blue, pink, neon green, canary yellow etc.).

Combinations of red and black are not allowed, as they are considered Sith colors.

Colors of the Prequel Jedi costume may be mixed and matched, but should always be harmonious. Legion Costume Judges are the final authority on color. If in doubt, contact a Legion Costume Judge for an opinion on proposed color combinations before construction.

Minimum Required Extras:

You must have at least three items from the following list:

1. Inner Tunic (IT):
Inner Tunic or Under Tunic may be any of the styles as seen in Episode I-III.
( If the OT is sleeveless or short sleeved, then an IT must be worn and must have long sleeves. )

Examples of acceptable Inner Tunics can be found here-

http://www.kjo.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=generic-jedi-inner-tunics

a. If the OT is sleeveless or short sleeved, then an IT must be worn and must have long sleeves.

2. Jedi Pouches:
Two (or more) utility pouches or resin cast utility boxes. ( Leather or leather-like material or resin cast boxes, as seen in the Star Wars universe. )
b. The paint scheme on resin cast boxes should blend well with the overall costume.

3. Food pellets (at least one set of four)
Food pellets/capsules should be painted a metallic color and may be gold, silver, bronze, copper or pewter. Other metallic colors are not permitted.

4.Jedi Robe or Cloak (Cape):
Large Jedi robe or cloak (cape) with attached over-sized hood, similar to Prequel movie canon robes/cloaks, in the same color scheme as listed for the main costume (see #10. above).
a. A hooded cape with side splits is permitted, or a sleeveless surcoat simlar to that worm by Ki Adi Mundi and Sarrissa Jeng.
b. The hood should be large enough so that (1) when the hood is up, the sides of the hood drape to extend to or cover the shoulders and (2) when down, the tip of the hood should fall near the small of the back (or lower).
c. The sleeves should be full and flare larger on the hand end. The circumference of the robe sleeve opening (at the hand) should be at least as long as the sleeve (from shoulder to the hem).
d. The overall body of the robe or cloak/cape should be full.
f. The length of the robe or cloak/cape should be hemmed no shorter than the ankles.
g. A Prequel Jedi may not wear a robe/cloak that is unique to a face character. Example: Count Dooku's cloak with neck chain or Barriss Offee's blue and grey pattern.

Additional Notes:

a. Accessories may include: eye-wear, face coverings and jewelry.
Though not required, applicants are encouraged to provide precedence (of their accessory of choice) within the Star Wars universe.
b. Arm wraps are permitted provided they are of a style similar to what is seen in the Star Wars universe.
c. They may also include other accessories used by jedi like the aqua breather and comlink. The comlink must be in the styles seen in the PT movies and CW series.

edited for spelling error- angles changed to ankles
http://www.rebellegionuk.com/forum/

Last edited by sarah_d (sarah drummond) on Sun May 10, 2015 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
dannv ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
e. OTs length may be mid-thigh (to at least cover the buttocks), knee length, floor/ankle length or anywhere inbetween those lenghts.

I'm going to point out that this is poorly written. Covering the buttocks and mid thigh or totally different. Mid thigh is longer than most of the prequel trilogy tunics and should not be included.

I would suggest:

"OT's must at least totally cover the buttocks of the wearer plus an inch and may extend to the knee or floor length."

That would be more in accordance with what is seen on screen.
Shay Kenobi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan.

We have discussed this point for what seems an eternity and the problem lies with its subjectivity.

What we are trying to avoid in all our attempts at verbalising the standard, are those costumes that are not short because they are based on a screen reference but are simply from big mass producers of Jedi costumes that A) have a one size fits all approach ( so the taller members look like they are wearing a micro mini ) and B) are trying to save money and skimp on material in the first place.

We have all seen them. They don't look authentic and are below the standards of the Legion, usually poorly made and I'm sure we all agree, are not approvable.

We have tried ( and struggled ) to find a description that discourages the submission of these costumes as well as ticking the other boxes.

How would we feel about " the Outer tunic should comfortably cover the butt but then may extend to any length" ?

This is the reason we post the proposal here, so we all have a chance to comment and determine the direction of the standards we operate with.

Thanks for bringing up this point Dan Thumbs up

" Another happy landing "
dannv ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're wording would work. I suggested cover the butt plus an inch so that you don't get someone hemming right at the bottom of a butt cheek. I know the LCJs have issues with them being too sort, so I tried to give something precise enough for a costumer to be sure they meet. Smile
ionicdesign (Michael)
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay Kenobi wrote:
" the Outer tunic should comfortably cover the butt but then may extend to any length"

I like this way of stating it. I'd much rather see the tabards be longer than shorter (in ways that don't match reference).

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011-2013 LCJ Takodana Base XO A. Legion Webmaster
dannv ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only issue with that wording is that it is open to interpretation which means it's open to arguments. It's definitely better than the originally proposed.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have also discussed writing it as 'the OT must be 2 inches past the crotch and must cover the butt. It may be floor length or any length in between minimum length and the floor.'

But it's hard to find a good way to word it.

We have also discussed whether we should add in white and grey for the boots and belts as options, as I know at least one member has asked about this.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi costumes are very dear to me, I think some of you know that Wink

I do find it a bit hard to decide what I think about this standard, while not knowing how the other standards are gonna be worded? And is this completely gonna replace the Generic Jedi Standard we have today? Sarah mentions several other standards, so I am not sure if this is adding on to those, or replacing the "old" generic jedi standard?

Mynocks deliver Babies
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anna,

This will replace the current 'Generic Jedi' Standard we have now.

We've taken the current generic jedi standard as it was heavily based on the prequel costumes and adjusted it.

As there are many different Jedi looks, the idea to categorise them to make it easier.
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my question is this, then - will there also be a new jedi order standard? And what will you base that upon?

ah, I'm not sure I'm fond of splitting the jedi standard up into PT and OT jedi again Razz

Mynocks deliver Babies
stroudy (Peter Truscott-Stroud)
Active Legion Member

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of minor points

1. We mention black or brown belts, if this is prequel jedi then should this not just be Brown?
2. Same as above really but in relation to tabards, shouldn't it just be material, not leather or pleather?

For the above, can't remember seeing black belts or leather tabards on any prequel jedi.

Perhaps I'm being a little harsh or stupid...I'm knackered Smile

Elstree Base XO
Event Co-Ordinator
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! Forgot Anakin. Black belt comment still stands Cool

Elstree Base XO
Event Co-Ordinator
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Active Legion Member

Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mara Skywalker wrote:
my question is this, then - will there also be a new jedi order standard? And what will you base that upon?

ah, I'm not sure I'm fond of splitting the jedi standard up into PT and OT jedi again Razz

There could numerous categories, as the current Generic Jedi Standard is based on the prequels and the most popular, this is the one we've looked at first.

There's not a huge amount of changes, more guidelines added in to the current standard.

Other categories can be looked at, if anyone has any ideas/suggestions for more categories then please post them up in a new thread for discussion
Smile

stroudy wrote:

1. We mention black or brown belts, if this is prequel jedi then should this not just be Brown?
2. Same as above really but in relation to tabards, shouldn't it just be material, not leather or pleather?

For the above, can't remember seeing black belts or leather tabards on any prequel jedi.

Hey Pete

Anakin has leather tabbards Smile

We've left the black in, as we don't want to be too restrictive.
Jerrick Sunrunner (Mark Mulcaster)
Elstree Base CO
Elstree Base CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are a few of face character jedi Anakin for instance does wear black leather tabs - although maybe he's the only one?
but we'll let you off as you've been a busy boy ;-)

I like the colour swatches, i suppose there is some evidence that Jedi have worn white belts\boots.

Sometimes its very hard to read this from an "uninformed" noobie perspective, so whilst i can see that every attempt has been made to make the descriptions clear and free from ambiguity personally i think all standards should have a line at the bottom stating that: these costume standards are designed as guidelines and that if in any doubt on any requirement please contact the BMO, DCO,DXO or costume judge. OR better still create a Work In Progress thread on the rebellion forum.
Just an idea
Very Happy
OT X-Wing Pilot Judge

Last edited by Jerrick Sunrunner (Mark Mulcaster) on Sun May 10, 2015 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarah_d wrote:
Mara Skywalker wrote:

There could numerous categories, as the current Generic Jedi Standard is based on the prequels and the most popular, this is the one we've looked at first.

There's not a huge amount of changes, more guidelines added in to the current standard.

Other categories can be looked at, if anyone has any ideas/suggestions for more categories then please post them up in a new thread for discussion
Smile

stroudy wrote:

Hey Pete

Anakin has leather tabbards Smile

We've left the black in, as we don't want to be too restrictive.

Hiya,

Can understand not be restrictive, that being said, if it is supposed to represent a prequel jedi, then surely black shouldn't be permitted?

I won't be pushy on this promise hugs Just giving my opinion.

Elstree Base XO
Event Co-Ordinator
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO Standards Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: