Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f12697c5c694e1d954b9b546a0c3b244Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Lutetia's Aayla Secura (picture heavy)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Lutetia's Aayla Secura (picture heavy) Reply with quote

So, this project was started in summer, when she began making the belt, but since she doesn't make her own wip I'm making it for her as usual. Wink

Another member from our base helped her with making the leather belt, and then we looked at the flaps.

We started out here:

And ended up here:

Two centimeters was cut from each side to get it proportional to her.

For the back we started here:

And got to this after slimming it a bit:

So front and back ended up like this:

This is all made to her measurements, so it may not be exactly replicable by others.

Next up came the leather work. A number of different hides and colors are used to mimic the differences seen in Aayla's flaps.

And the belt was sewn together with the thick leather cords in one side. The other will have a velcro closure:

Then came work on the mock up for the top. We started out with an old fitted top, which I drew on with chalk and then we cut it out to get an idea of the curve.

Note, we started out work on the front curve and ignored the back curve. The first mock up had both curves included. We pretty much used the curve we liked the best to determine roughly were and how it should curve on the back. The rest was freehanded by me.

And so we got this made:

Lutetia ripped the seam of the sleeve so we could make a pattern from it:

And just to mess with people I made the other two patterns at an angle: Wink (sorry!)

The patterns may still be tweaked a bit.

Then came the mock up for the leather/hide outer top:

The bottom part will be a strip on its own.

The small seam under the bust was added with pins and the armhole was made slighter bigger than the fitted inner top.

We are quite happy with the progress, and I hope to soon have some more pictures to share. I know she has finished the flaps, but I don't have the pictures of them.

I do, however, have a picture of the leggings we hope to use. She hasn't tried them on yet, so we honestly don't know how well they'll work.

They were the thickets I could find that wasn't ripped.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookie, lookie, I stole, erm, I mean borrowed, her pics of the finished belt with flaps. Smile

Front:

Back: (Colors are a bit off here)

And in black and white, just because it looks cool:

She has also received the raw lekku and the paint is on its way.

sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work! Thumbs up Thumbs up
http://www.rebellegionuk.com/forum/
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I'll let her know you appreciate it. Smile

I should tell that the front flap also doubles as a pouch. She did a small hidden pouch so she can carry the most important things with her.

Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frantastic progress
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. She's got the paint, but I don't have any pictures of that. I think we should have some progress during Easter.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as written we got a lot of work done during Easter. Very Happy

The bottom part of the costume is now officially done. The darker of the two leggings turned out to work well a pair of black pantyhose underneath (to eliminate any see through effect) and she has acquired a nice pair of boots.

We then did some color tests:

We both agree that the darker color, where we started with the light blue and then put the darker blue on top, is the best. The light blue only is very bright and kinda neon in particular with flash.

We also worked on making the pattern on the top. This is what we started out with making as stamps:

We ended up agreeing the big ones where too big, so only used the smaller ones.
First we tested the color. The brown fabric paint was too redbrown and light on its own, so a tiny bit of black was mixed in. I was put in charge of the fabric paint and stamping.
We quickly learned the stamp needed a thick layer of paint of transfer nicely.

The paint was matched against the belt color. I had to mix multiple times as this nearly used the entire bottle and that couldn't fit on the plate.

My sister also experimented with the little flap on Aayla's boots:

We started work on the headpiece. First we tried to get the general size right:

Then we changed methods to get it to lie flat:

Then we changed direction again and started work on the part covering the ears, neck and jawline:

The headpiece is a bit of a headache...

So, back to the top!
It needs to be double layered, so more paint stamping for me! Yeah! (This whole process took many hours, so I'm glad I only had to do the edges for the back pieces).

The color got a bit redder and lighter, but it's only the back.
While that was drying we sewed the first layer of the top together:

Then the other pieces were fixated and 'frankensteined':

And that is what happens when you are out of fabric. Again it's on the inside, so you can't actually see it.

The two layers got sewed together through teamwork...

...and it's beginning to look like a top!

Which lead us to draw the pattern on the back of the pig hide used for the outer top:

We made a mistake in placement, so the green and red lines are our corrections. Everything is double layered and self lined in the outer top as well.

And that, people, is where we left off by the end of Easter. She's doing some more work on her own until I return friday and then goes trooping saturday. We would love to be done this weekend, but I have no idea if that will be possible. We'll see how it goes.

skoe (Eric Skoglund)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work!!!

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile We did more work in the weekend before and after trooping, so time for another update.

The sand base color of the fabric for the top was a bit too light and clashed slightly with the brown print, so my sis dyed it with a tiny bit of brown fabric paint to make it light brown instead:

Much better.

Then work was begun on the actual outer top where we used pigs hide left over from my last costume. It was dyed brown beforehand.
First the small seam by the breast was done, then the shoulder seams, and then the curving sides was sewn together. Everything is doubled layered and self-lined like the inner top.

Back:

Front:

I had another adventure with double faced tape:

Meanwhile my sis was working on getting the lekku painted. Here a sponge was used:

Some color samples was made on little pieces of scrap latex:

The lekku got painted, but become very 'spotchy' with the sponge. We tried to dry and set the paint with hairspray and paint it over, but the sponge would just take off the first layer again:

So after looking at some threads about lekku and paint, my sis tried using a paint brush completely saturated with paint. Not too wet, not too dry.
First off dabbing it on:

Then using strokes:

Dabbing still left it somewhat uneven and spotchy, but strokes left a fairly even color without holes, so that's what we went with.

The color is set with hairspray.

Of course, I did more work on the top while this was done. The top looked ridiculous before pressing:

This is hide, thin leather, and leather doesn't want to bend. You have to press it into shape and we used an iron for this.
This is what is looked like after being pressed: (I put cardboard inside to press the seams out before pressing down with the hot iron)

And then the bottom edge was added. It's sewn closed in both ends, pressed, and then sewn down in one side, and pressed and clued down in the other (inside).

This marks the tops all completely!

It's closed with velcro.

We got started on the headpiece that goes around the neck and covers ears and jawline. The model for making the round holes was a bit too large, so it had to be scaled down a bit:

We agreed it was better to have it a bit too tight than too large so that is what we went for.

The headpiece isn't done, but the bottom part did get sewn and pressed. This is thicker than the pigs hide though so it may need some more pressing.

Unfortunately, we ran out of both time and paint so this is where we left off when I had to catch my train home. She has ordered more paint and the plan is for her to finish the headpiece and lekku and ears herself until I see her again in less than two weeks. If she gets done we'll be painting her blue and taking approval photos. Smile

skykat ()

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you use to make the stamp.
Dust ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! What body paint are you using? Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for the first question I don't really know what it's called in English. It's cork with some kind of craft foam on top. The foam is rather thick. And then a bottle of brown fabric paint with a bit of black in it. You need a thick layer of it for the pattern to be good.

For the second question: I wish I could remember. Razz It's not what we usually use and I don't have a picture of the brand.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotted lekku!

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The costume was finished this weekend and pictures were taken, but I haven't gotten them uploaded yet. (I've been busy). I'll see about getting them up so you can see the final result. Smile

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is the picture update. Smile

First off, I wanted to show of the boots.

This is how the finished boots look.

We also got on with the blasted headdress.
The mock up/pattern:

Then it was done in leather. The sides the bend in and glued in place to create a smooth and even color headpiece.

This is what it looked like just after assembly:

The closure isn't done yet, that was done as the last thing.

The three strips are glued onto a soft and thin piece of hide, which can be seen here:

Very comfortable against for forehead, she said.

The ear buds had a little too much filling in them, so she removed some and now she hears better than when they where overstuffed.

Sunday we painted her blue; I did the back, she did the front.

I had underestimate how high the blue needed to go on the neck, so painted the last bit in after she put on her lekku.

It looks a bit weird without the headdress...

Hands were the last thing to be painted.

This is what the color looks like in low light. Absolutely beautiful:

And the final result and pictures for approval:

Close up of outer top and sleeve:

Lekku:

Posing:

I can honestly say I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Mr. Green We ended up going pure light blue rather than a mix as it turned out to be too hard to mix on the latex.
I hope you have enjoyed seeing the process and if you have questions then feel free to ask.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: