Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e62da1ac1be761a70a7f3c74315ecb11Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Standards Discussion: Hoth Hanger Trooper & Hanger Techn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KyleKatarn (Alex Townsend)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, regarding the cloth rank insignia, I went through the movie and actually couldn't find a clear image of any Hangar/Tech NOT wearing one, so maybe it should be part of the formal requirement. I'm fairly sure there were some without it, but I couldn't find a single shot where it is shown clearly to not be there!

Wrist comm I think Snowspeeder OR "block" type should be ok for Hangar Troopers, see pictures below:

Hangar Troopers on extreme left and right both have the block type.

Block type.

I did spot a few other interesting things, see the guy who comes out of the doorway then walks behind Han:

Tech hat with goggles and earpiece, so perhaps these could be included in the Tech CRL?

And finally, the departing Hoth scene, sneaky dude wearing Luke's Hoth costume!!!

G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Base Membership Officer

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaky dude is sneaky.
I saw one other location,earlier in my post, where a tech had a comm device.

I spoke with Phyllis and she said the large blocks are generally used by theTrench Troopers.
This leaves us with what is generally used by Techs, if anything.

NCOIC, "GUNNY" Marine Detachment Barbarossa
David, Louisiana's first Visitor.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen I think Techs should have the smaller Snowspeeder type wrist comm, or no wrist comm at all.

Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be inclined to make it optional, snow speeder style or not present.

Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plaase skip to final post for both versions of Final Proposed Standard

OK....Tentative Standard V.2

Please comment:

Flightsuit:

Light tan coverall with mandarin-style collar and pointed tab, rectangular pocket with a flap closure on upper right arm, 2 crescent thigh pockets and 4 leg pockets. No visible zippers or snaps. This is the same layoutflightsuit as the Pilots wear and pockets should be the same. Suit may be weathered per reference images.

Rank Badge on right arm

The rank badge on the right arm shall be consistent with the source images.

Jackboots or snow moccasins.

Black mid-calf Jackboots were used by Troopers and Technicians. Some Hanger Troopers are seen wearing snow moccasins.

Snow Moccosins: will be consistent with the Trench Trooper Moccosin.

Boots: Mid-calf black boots (Jack boots or engineer boots are acceptable)
Leather pull-on style preferred with low heels.
No laces or ankle buckles.
No non-black zippers. Any zipper closure must either be hidden or on the inside calf. No zippers on front or outside calf of boots.
High-Calf boots are acceptable with sufficient blousing of the pants legs.
No rubber boots.

Gauntlet Gloves

Technician and Trooper wear the same glove. TIG welding gloves such as the Tillman or other glove with white hands with a grey leather cuff.

Comm badge on the left glove will vary by costumel. See options below.

Quilted vest with collar

Hanger Troopers and Techs both wear the same vest and is several shades darker than the coveralls. It has padded ring shaped collar, and closes in front with no visible fasteners. It extends below the belt line and is level from front to back with no dips or cuts. Two large patch pockets with flaps on the front are quilted. The pocket flap is unquilted There is a window on the front left breast for a rank badge.

Accurate soft helmet

(hanger troopers only) Off white, ecru or beige fabric helmet with white framed goggles with amber lenses. The helmet typically had a comm device mounted to the left ear flap.

Accurate hat

Technicians wore a soft hat patterned similar to a US Navy foul weather deck hat. Tan, light brown, ecru, khaki would be acceptable.

Formal Requirements:
** Troopers** Choose two or more
Comm Device on left ear flap. Medium grey to black with short antenna.
Rank Badge on the vest
Large block comm device on the left glove gauntlet
Tan, Brown or black scarf tied around soft helmet.

** Technicians** Choose one or more.
Rank Badge on the vest
Snowspeeder Comm Device on the left glove gauntlet

Optional Item for Technicians:
Spanner

Optoinal Item for Hanger Troopers:
Blaster (if allowed by local laws)

Last edited by G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell) on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks really good!

2 things I wanted to mention:

1. "Two large patch pockets with flaps on the front are quilted. The pocket flap is unquilted There is a window on the front left breast for a rank badge."

I think the pockets themselves are NOT quilted, and nor are the flaps or the shoulder yoke. So the only quilted part on the front should be the middle part between the pockets and the yoke.

Also make it clear that if Troopers/Techs are not choosing rank badge on breast, then they DON'T need the window pocket on the vest. I know this seems obvious, but could be potentially confusing.

2. " . . . white framed goggles with amber lenses . . ."

I think amber or green/yellow should be options. After watching the movie it seems most goggles have the green/yellow lenses.

Apart from that, think we're nearly there!

Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp eye Alex!
You are correct, the quilting stops at the middle of the armhole at front and back.

Pocket and flap are un- quilted In most of the costumes.

Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone please check this over, and comment:

Proposed standard V.2.5

Flightsuit

Light tan coverall or pants/ shirt combination with mandarin-style collar and pointed tab, rectangular pocket with a flap closure on upper right arm, 2 upper thigh cresent pockets and 4 leg pockets. No visible zippers or snaps. This is the same flightsuit as the Pilots wear and pockets should be the same. If pants are used they must be modified accordingly with no visible logos, hip pockets, belt loops, etc. A shirt must also be modified accordingly to match references. A Pants/ Shirt combination must match to appear to be a one piece uniform.

Quilted vest with padded collar

Hangar Troopers and Techs both wear the same vest and is several shades darker than the coveralls. The vest is quilted, front and back, from the bottom to the middle of the arm hole with large diamond quilts. It has a large padded ring shaped collar, and closes in front with no visible fasteners. It extends 2-3” below the natural belt line and is level from front to back with no dips or cuts. Two large un-quilted patch pockets with flaps are on the front. There is a window on the front left breast for a rank badge only when the vest rank badge is worn. See formal requirements below.

Jackboots or snow moccasins

Black mid-calf Jackboots are seen on both Hangar Troopers and the Technicians. Black lace-less mid calf boots with conservative sole and round toe are allowed. Real or replica jackboots are encouraged. No ornamentation, or ankle straps permitted. Black zippers are permitted if they cannot be seen when viewed from the front. Some Hangar Troopers are seen wearing snow moccasins. Snow Moccasins will be consistent with the Trench Trooper Moccasin.

Gauntlet Gloves

Technician and Trooper wear the same type of glove glove. TIG welding gloves or other white glove with grey leather cuff. The left glove typically has a comm device. Light weathering is permitted.

Comm badge on the left glove will vary by costume, and is optional. See options below.

Trooper soft helmet

Accurately detailed soft helmet in light tan, khaki, white, or ecru consistent with screen images. Helmet includes white framed goggles with amber or yellow lenses. Comm device on the left earpiece is optional, see below.

Technician cold weather hat

Make very similar to a US Navy foul weather deck hat. Tan, light brown, ecru, khaki would be acceptable.

Formal Requirements:

** Troopers** Choose three or more

Comm device with antenna on soft helmet left earpiece. May be medium grey to black.
Rank Badge window on vest left breast, with rank badge.
Rank badge on right arm consistent with screen images.
Large block comm device on the left glove gauntlet

Tan, Brown or black scarf tied around soft helmet

** Technicians** Choose two or more.

Rank Badge window on vest left breast, with rank badge.
Rank badge on right arm consistent with screen images
Snowspeeder Comm Device on the left glove gauntlet

Optional Items for Troopers and Technicians:

Spanner
Code cylinders in pocket on left arm. No more than four.

Last edited by G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell) on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:39 am; edited 3 times in total
Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello - I just wanted to point out one little detail as I've glanced over this, which is to please be sure to spell check the final version and make sure "Hangar" is spelled correctly rather than "hanger" throughout, as well as any other typo fixes that may be needed.

Thank you!
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I caught them all.

I typed it up in a word program and it ignores both versions as "correct".

Boudicca (Jen B)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love spell checker on Word. Thanks!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me, I think we're there Smile

Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive sent a blast to the Squads...the overall Email mass mail system is wonky yet again. I would like to give a couple of days for others to weigh in on this topic then move to ratify.

Also when I wrote it I tried to maintain consistency with the existing Hoth Trench Trooper Standards, and didnt want to add something or take away something that already exists in that.

My own hat has been shipped, and once I sort my coveralls out I will make my vest.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, it's a lovely costume, am finding I'm enjoying wearing it as much as my X-Wing.

Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Draft Proposal

Proposed Standard V.3.0

Please sound off on this version.

first half will be Technician Specific

second half will be Trooper Specific

Hoth Technician

Flightsuit

Light tan coverall or pants/ shirt combination with mandarin-style collar and pointed tab, rectangular pocket with a flap closure on upper right arm, 2 upper thigh cresent pockets and 4 leg pockets. No visible zippers or snaps. This is the same flightsuit as the Pilots wear and pockets should be the same. If pants are used they must be modified accordingly with no visible logos, hip pockets, belt loops, etc. A shirt must also be modified accordingly to match references. A Pants/ Shirt combination must match to appear to be a one piece uniform.

The vest is several shades darker than the coveralls. The vest is quilted, front and back, from the bottom to the middle of the arm hole with large diamond quilts. It has a large padded ring shaped collar, and closes in front with no visible fasteners. It extends 2-3” below the natural belt line and is level from front to back with no dips or cuts. Two large un-quilted patch pockets with flaps are on the front. There is a window on the front left breast for a rank badge (only when the vest rank badge is worn).
* See formal requirements below.

Jackboots

Black mid-calf Jackboots may be worn. Real or replica jackboots are encouraged but motorcyle boots with round toe and conservative heel are permitted. No ornamentation, or ankle straps permitted. Black zippers are permitted if they cannot be seen when viewed from the front.

Gauntlet Gloves

TIG welding gloves or other white glove with long grey leather cuff. The left glove typically has a comm device. Light weathering is permitted.

Technician cold weather hat

Very similar to a US Navy foul weather deck hat. Tan, light brown, ecru, khaki would be acceptable.

Formal Requirements:

** Technicians** Choose two or more.

Rank Badge window on vest left breast, with Hoth rank badge.
Block type Comm Device on the left glove gauntlet

Optional Items for Technicians:

Spanner
Code cylinders in pocket on left arm. No more than four.

---------------------------------------------------------
Hoth Hangar Troopers:

Flightsuit

The vest is several shades darker than the coveralls. The vest is quilted, front and back, from the bottom to the middle of the arm hole with large diamond quilts. It has a large padded ring shaped collar, and closes in front with no visible fasteners. It extends 2-3” below the natural belt line and is level from front to back with no dips or cuts. Two large un-quilted patch pockets with flaps are on the front. There is a window on the front left breast for a rank badge (only when the vest rank badge is worn).
* See formal requirements below.

Jackboots or snow moccasins

Black mid-calf Jackboots may be worn. Real or replica jackboots are encouraged but motorcyle boots with round toe and conservative heel are permitted. No ornamentation, or ankle straps permitted. Black zippers are permitted if they cannot be seen when viewed from the front. Some Hangar Troopers are seen wearing snow moccasins. Snow Moccasins will be consistent with the Trench Trooper Moccasin.

Gauntlet Gloves

TIG welding gloves or other white glove with long grey leather cuff. The left glove typically has a comm device. Light weathering is permitted.

Trooper soft helmet

Accurately detailed soft helmet in light tan, khaki, white, or ecru consistent with screen images. Helmet includes white framed goggles with amber or yellow lenses. Comm device on the left earpiece is optional, see below.
Tan , brown or black scarf tied around soft helmet.

Formal Requirements:

** Troopers** Choose three or more.
Comm device with antenna on soft helmet left earpiece. May be medium grey to black.
Rank Badge window on vest left breast, with Hoth rank badge.
Block type Comm Device on the left glove gauntlet

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: