Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e4d588f37754b508f76f3e9b6c794597Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Building the Hoth Rebel Trooper hat - better
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 4)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original hat is holding up well..

I am, however, very careful with how I pack it away for normal storage
and also
how I packed it to go to C6...always trying to keep the visor from getting too crunched....

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
TKvanB (Kathy van Beuningen)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phyllis, you can iron the visor / front flap on my hats! Smile
Use your steam iron and tailor's ham for the curvy part.

I would advise not ironing the other parts of the hat because those have the batting inside and you would want those parts to keep their puffiness. You could iron the bias-binding edge on the back flap and the lower quilted part if needed. A little lumpiness in the hats looks more natural though.

I have washed my original hats several times, because they got dirty / discolored lying around for years. I put them in the dryer for about 10 minutes, and then let them air-dry.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the 3 new hats, #8, #9, & #10 completed, finally! I spent the morning sewing on all of the little velcro pieces. All tan pieces of velcro on the tan parts and all white pieces on the hats.

Here is hat #10 with my goggles in place. I sewed velcro on the outside of the left ear-com flaps for the ear-com greeblies.

I sewed the white velcro for the ear-com flaps onto the hats at an angle, so that the velcro would join when the goggles straps were in place.

I did the same for the right-side ear-flap.

All 3 new hats, #10 with my goggles on it.
I think I will get started on my next new project before I even think about trying to build any more of these. They are a real pain in the @$$ to build!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
I'll bet there might be some folks watching this build thread and wondering if you will be selling some of those hats..

Wink

If anyone is interested, I posted a "For Trade" topic in the Star Wars Costume & Prop Sale forum here:

FT Hoth Rebel Trooper Hats
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54812

I am currently building a Rebel Fleet Trooper uniform for myself and I will need a helmet to complete this. I would be willing to consider a trade of a really nice Rebel Fleet Trooper helmet for one of these new hats.

I re-measured the hats and they are both ~ 24 1/2. One of them is larger, yet I measured them several times and got anywhere from 24 1/8" to 24 3/4".

Interested? Please contact me. Smile
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome....
fingers crossed...

Wink

apollo (stephan)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: do you sale this hat for men Reply with quote

TKvanB wrote:
First the original hat build:hi do you sale this hat for men please answer me soon thanks to you

Feb 18, 2007:

TKvanB wrote:
Hoth Rebel Trooper prototype hat #2

Hoth Rebel Trooper prototype hat #1

Feb 25, 2007:

TKvanB wrote:

I have been taking some pictures on the progress of the hat prototype constructions. I have been working on three hats simultaneously.
The picture above is of the hood piece after I finished sewing the lines of stitching, but before I removed all of the pins.
I had maked out the paralel lines @ 1" apart with a fine point Mark-B-Gone pen.

Here are the three hood pieces. The top one is using kona cotton with low-loft 1/4" quilt batting. The center one is the utility fabric and even lower loft quilt batting. The bottom one is the utility fabric and standard fleece as the batting. (I ran out of quilt batting, so I decided I would give that a try)

TKvanB wrote:

These are the 2 back flaps after the 3 parts of each have been basted together. I usually run most pieces of anything I am building through the serger if I can. Aside from making the pieces easier to handle with out them falling apart, it also puts a real clean edge on everything and will ensure that everything will stay together for a very long time. I have not yet put one of these Hoth Rebel Trooper hats in the wash machine, but I am confident that they would make it just fine.

Anyway, I have opened out a small piece of bias trim on the back aide of one of the back flaps to demonstrate how to pin it in place. I have found that ALL of the applications of the bias trim needs to be pinned in place before sewing on to unsure that it lies evenly. That is a lot of work, but it's triple the work it you you have to remove it and re-apply it.
Towards the back of this picture is one of the outer hat constructions with the back flap in place.
THis picture is a little out of sequence if you were going to make the hat in steps, because I ran out of bias tape and had to go get more. I did as much as I could on the pieces I had.

TKvanB wrote:

......and now I have more bias tape.
I would advize anyone who plans to make this to match the tones of the materials you use.

In the cases of these particular hats:
The utility fabric Phyllis selected has a reddish tone to it. I decided to use the Wrights brand extra wide double fold "Taupe 033" because the current dye-lot available has a reddish tone. That was the best match to the fabric.
I looked at the "tan" but that had too much yellow in it for this particular fabric.

The kona cotton I chose it slightly more yellowish, so the Wrights brand extra wide double fold "kahki 097" of the current dye-lot was the best match ---- however there were two different dye-lots at the store! I can't stress enough to bring samples of the fabrics and trims you are working with to the store when you are trying to match.

I was able to find an extact match to the Wrights brand extra wide double fold "kahki 097" in "single fold" so I used that single fold for the lower trim on the front flap of the hat. That is the first piece that needs to be sewn on. (for the other two hats made out of the utility fabric, I was not able to find a matching single fold, so I fugured out how to make the double fold work for that application)

NOW...........going backwards in time.

This picture shows the visors and front flaps after the pieces were first fused (outer piece) to shirt tailor fusible interfacing. Then the peices were basted together, sregered, turned & pressed.

Here are the heavy-weight stabilizer pieces to be marked to trim & fit into the insides of the front flaps and visors.

After the stabilizer is inserted, baste in place along outer seam with the bulk of the seam on the under side of the visor & the back side of the front flap. Make sure to trim the stabilizer to allow a ~1/2" - 5/8" seam allowance where the pieces will join.

TKvanB wrote:

...and a little further back in time:

Here are the hat top and crown pieces and lining top and crown pieces first pinned together and then basted, sewn and topstitched together.

here are the front flaps and visors with the bias tape pinned in place.

I have decided that the best way to do this so far is to use thread that matches the hat fabric in the bobbin and thread that matches the color of the bias tape in the needle. Start by applying the double fold bias tape to the underside / backside of the pieces. Then topstitch close to the edge to seccure the front pieces of bias tape in place.

TKvanB wrote:

Here are the visor and front flap pinned together and the back flap pinned to the hat and basted in place.

TKvanB wrote:

Here is the visor and front flap construction sewn together, then pinned in place on the hat construction, then sewn in place.
At this point the hats build out of the utility faric began to become too thick for my sewing machine to sew through very easily.

After the front construction is sewn into place, I cut 5 pieces of 1" nylon belt material into about 3 3/4" pieces and melted the ends so they don't unravel. I pinned them in place along the back of the hat keeping an even 1" spacing between. Then I sewed them in place about 1/8" in from the basting stitching of the back flap.

This picture shows how the hood is to be pinned in place. There are a few steps skipped in picture form, including joining the front center of the hood, serging that small seam, trimming the hood to the desired shape and serging all of the edges. Then the hood needs to be pinned in place to the inside of the hat construction. This was extremely difficult for my macine to sew through all of the layers of the utility fabric. The kona cotton was easier, but also getting to be thick aty this point. Once the hood is sewn in place, fold under evenly and sew the loose ends of the belt loops in place.

Then (not pictured because Quincy took the camera to school this weekend) pin bias tape trim to the edged of the hood and sew in place, back side first, then top-stitch the outside. For this I purchased Wrights extra wide double fold bias tape "Oyster 028" .........which I did use on the kona cotton hat. HOWEVER, I think this looked almost too light with that fabric. (I am really picky about colors though) When I was going to use it on the utility fabric, the shade looked way too white and too different. So I decided to use the scraps of the kona cotton to make my own double fold bias trim. That took time to do, but it worked out great. It really matches well.

The hat pictured near the top of this picture has the lining pinned in place.
After the lining is pinned in place, hand-sew it in.

This is a picture of the back of Hoth Rebel Trooper prototype hat #2 (kona cotton)
that shows how the belt loops are sewn in place.

Is this more difficult to make than an Imperial Officer's hat?

YES.

The Imperial Officer's hat has 19 separate pieces, this has about 38.

Feb 26, 2007:

TKvanB wrote:

Here is a picture of the double fold bias-tape pinned to the inside of the hood edges. Once the trim is sewn on from the inside, fold it to the outside and pin it place, then topstitch it. I finished off the chin-strap tab ends with small pieces of dbl fold bias tape.

It appears in some shots of some of the hats on some of the characters who wear these, that there is a small connecting strap at the chin. That could always be added later once there is some more definite information on what it is / what color it should be / how it should be attached.

Here are all five of the Hoth Rebel Trooper hats that I have made.

These were the original hats.

I will now add what I will do differently.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, I do not have any solid plans to build some more Hoth Rebel Trooper hats. Perhaps I may have some more time after the holidays.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started on 3 new Hoth Rebel hats for 2015.

This past Sunday, I picked up 3 yards of this ecru premium cotton fabric and 1 yard of this buff premium cotton fabric. These were 30% off. I also got another bag of batting which was on sale for 40% off and a 400 yard spool of 'natural' cotton thread, which I used a 40% off coupon on. All together, this new material came out to $17.96, including sales tax. Monday I picked up some more of the interfacing & stabilizer, since what it in this photo is all that I had left. I anticipate that this should be enough for three Hoth hats, maybe 4 if I lay out pieces more individually, which will take much longer to cut. My serger is loaded with off white cones now too.

Earlier this week..... I re-tooled my Hoth hat pattern.

I used my every-day Hoth hat (the one I have been wearing every day this winter) to scale the new pattern pieces. I also used my cutting mat and a ruler to measure and square all of the new pieces, since the existing pieces were really rough, and the last time I used those, the hats I made with them came out slightly larger than I had anticipated.

Then I cut out all of the off-white fabric pieces, interfacing pieces, stabilizer pieces, fused and pinned all of these together.

I ended up having enough fabric to cut out 3 hats, but not the bias trim that I will need later. I will look to see how close the pre-made packaged bias trim is at work, then decide whether to buy some of that, or else get more fabric to make my own. So 1 hat = 1 yard of fabric.

I spent the day yesterday sewing all of this:

The hat top on the left, I sewed the seam of the top of the hat to the crown pieces. It looks a LOT better, smoother, rounder than not sewing this seam. The original screen used Hoth hats do not have a seam here, but I think it looks much better.
The next thing I need to do with the off-white pieces is to finish pinning and sewing the linings and sew those seams on the other 2 outer hats.
Then I need to cut out, fold & press the contrast fabric to make the bias trim, straps and ear-com pieces. Then I need to pin & sew that contrast onto the hat pieces before I can start putting the pieces together on the hats.

At this point, I am hoping that these 3 hats will end up fitting at 23 1/2", but I wont know the final sizes until they are put together more.

I cut out the contrast fabric to make the bias strips, folded, pressed and pinned them into place on the hat pieces.

I started sewing them last night after work, but as I was sewing into the second one, I noticed that I had them pinned too far from the edges. So I had to rip out the 1 1/2 ones that I started sewing and then re-pin those and all of the rest. I decided that I was getting too tired to work on them with the accuracy that I want, so I went to sleep. I will try to do more on these in the next few days between shifts at work.
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' good...
and...
god...
I hate that when I make mistakes and have to start over...
very frustrating...

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
Lookin' good...
and...
god...
I hate that when I make mistakes and have to start over...
very frustrating...

Yes, good thing I caught it half-way through the second piece, otherwise I would have had to pick out the stitching and re-do 9 pieces rather than 1 1/2.

I also knew that I was forgetting a step here and I came back to this thread to see what I did when I made these before. Wink
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know it really is amazing to see a master at work.

the complexity here is mind boggling.

NCOIC, "GUNNY" Marine Detachment Barbarossa
David, Louisiana's first Visitor.
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'nott sH'urr wrote:
you know it really is amazing to see a master at work.

the complexity here is mind boggling.

indeed it is...
and as I have said before..

there simply is no substitute for Kathy's hats...any of the hats she makes...
whether Rebel or Imperial...they are far and away the best hats around..

Wink

navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So say we all.

Rebel Legion Costumes: Fleet Trooper, Tusken, Old Ben Kenobi, Clone, Malakilli,

501st Costumes: Imperial Navy, Crew, Bantha Rider, Clone, Zuckuss, Snowtrooper, Malakilli, A'sharad Hett

Ordained Priest, Church of the Latter Day Dude
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...so say we all.

NCOIC, "GUNNY" Marine Detachment Barbarossa
David, Louisiana's first Visitor.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one more piece to finish hand-sewing the back of the contrast bias onto. Then I will work on all of the ear flaps & straps. After that, I will have all of the pieces made and ready to put together on the hats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: