Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1135f21ffed61cf90918959d5d93607fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

joining the Jedi order...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artur Varr ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: joining the Jedi order... Reply with quote

seeing all the great volunteer work you do via the Jedi order...I am very interested in joining...really need to speak with a Jedi about putting together an impression...either in person or via phone...interested in an impression , more or less , following the story line of Bardan Jusik...have been looking at items at Ultra Saber and Twin Roses...hope to meet one of you soon...may the sith be vanquished...Artur Varr...
hartss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi welcome to the group. if you are interested in jedi we have plenty of expertise and all the help and advice you need
are you planning to do bardan jusik in mando armour, because i dont think that will be approved. what most people tend to do is start with a generic jedi costume to get formally approved and become part of the RL then make face characters. (have you checked out the standards yet)

all my sabers are ultrasabers and i have never had an issue with them, i use them for putting on lightsaber shows as well so they do take a beating and look good

my jedi robe is from twin rose and was an excellent buy, although you dont need a robe to be formal im not sure about the rest of their gear
Artur Varr ()

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: thank you for the reply... Reply with quote

I was thinking of an impression with Mando armor...but I would of course defer to however the Temple leadership advises...perhaps that is something I might pursue in the future...

good to hear about Twin Rose and Ultra Saber...

right now I require assistance in a choice of a light saber...what style...what color...what color blade...etc.

and from Twin Rose do you think it best to get a wool or cotton robe...

many thanks for your reply...may the sith be vanquished...
Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. I think I can help you with lightsaber related decisions. I am available to have my brain picked on that subject. Ask away or feel free to PM.
Artur Varr ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: lightsabers... Reply with quote

well...I was considering a curved saber like the Ultra Saber "Mantis" and was considering a saber with a claw like the Ultra Saber "Scorpion"...however after looking at the movies and countless images , it appears that those styles are used mainly by the dark side...so I got that out of my head...

I have decided to go with Ultra Saber...and the models I like are the Aeon V4 and the Sentinel V4...either with green blade...

what saber do you use and like the best ?

opinions on my thoughts...

be well...
Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are wise to rule out the Scorpion and the Mantis. Both of those sabers are surprisingly larger. Like holding the wrong end of a baseball bat.

I have seen the new Aeon and Sentinel at Comic Con and can say they are nice. Simple, clean looking, solid built sabers. I particularly like the Sentinel LE with the touch of gold. I almost bought one at Comic Con if that means anything to you.....but I have too many sabers as it is.

You asked what I use....well, my first few sabers were Ultra Sabers but most of what I have (including my costume sabers) are home made with parts from TCSS. You can see a lot of my work on "The Saber Smith's Thread" which is sticky-ed towards the top of the Nar Shaddaa page. Building them is fun but has taken a lot of time and practice to get to that point. It is not something I would recommend for a first saber unless you have a background in electronics.

Basically, either of the sabers you mentioned would be a good first saber. They are simple and reasonably priced and you would not be sorry. Even of you upgrade down the road, they will be nice to have in a collection. If another saber catches your eye, don't be afraid to ask. At Comic Con I held every saber in the US line so I can give you a decent review of each.

Now let me ask you.....are you going for sound or just a stunt saber?
Artur Varr ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: sabers Reply with quote

I did see a pic of Sabers on display...if I recall correctly , at the Joliet Library...that was your work...wow...they are excellent...fantastic workmanship...

as to your question...perhaps a sound saber in the future...but right now a stunt saber...
Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: sabers Reply with quote

Artur Varr wrote:
I did see a pic of Sabers on display...if I recall correctly , at the Joliet Library...that was your work...wow...they are excellent...fantastic workmanship...

as to your question...perhaps a sound saber in the future...but right now a stunt saber...

Good plan. There is nothing wrong with a stunt saber. As a new member you will have plenty of other expenses ahead of you (belt, boots, etc). Cutting out the sound on your saber will certainly help you. A stunt Ultra Saber still looks impressive. And you are right, it can always be upgraded later.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...we do have a number of lightsaber experts here....
a lightsaber is indeed an important part of the costume...
BUT
there is lots more to becoming a Jedi

as for choosing a Jedi costume...
I would say to start out with something more traditional...something that the public recognizes...

once you have done that, you can go on to make some more custom attire....

Many of our Jedi here have more than one costume and we are always adding..

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
hartss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i spoke with michael and said a generic jedi would be the best place to start. i have the twin rose wool robe but not sure about the rest of their stuff
hyperguyver2 (James Kelly)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome padawan! We can always use more Jedi in our struggle against the Sith.

When it comes down to your first jedi costume deginately consider something more traditional to really set the image. Quality is very importamt when it comes to your costume and I can say that Twin Roses has some nice stuff and my saber is an ultrasabers aeon le, I will however be buying parts from the custom saber shot to fashion my own saber hilt for my 2nd run but I am very happy with my stunt saber and I use it regularly to practice my technique, it also tends to wow the public if you can really get your glow stick going Wink. But like any Jedi your saber should be unique to you as it is a jedis right of passage to build their own saber. After all the crystal is the heart of the blade, and the blade is the heart of the jedi.

When choosing your robes and tunics go for more natural materials as these hold up ver nicely and are great for indoor and outdoor use and actually provide some degree or protection. My tunics are made fully out of wool and linen, they were custom ordered from eva vanecek on ebayand I cannot say enough about the quality for the price. I've worn mine for a year and have done some very heavy dueling in them and they are still pristine.

Now there is one slight warning I will give, evwn though jedi are recognised and loved by the public we do get over-looked regularly because we blend in a bit, even our sabers can made ot hard to draw attention. Characters like mandalorians and stormtroopers tend to have a kind of "rock star" status. But like Master Yoda said, "adventure, excitment; a jedi seeks not these things." But we do have star power when in groups. So just be aware of this slight drawback and be ready for it, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Its still kinda funny when people confuse me for Cin Drallig or Qui Gon Jin too.

I hope I have given some insight as to what it is to what its like as a jedi knight and hope to see you out there. Also feel free to pm me if you have any questions about anything.
Artur Varr ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: jedi... Reply with quote

thanks much James...I do appreciate your insight...be well...Michael.......
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 4)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do still have the PM from you but have not had time to look up the companies that you mentioned...

one thing I do recommend is to go to the Jedi forums here and post your question there...

the folks in the Jedi forums will be the best people to ask about dealing with some outside sources for Jedi costumes...
some may be familiar with these companies because they perhaps purchased from them and will give you a thumbs up
or
they might tell you to run the other way...

I have sewn all my costumes so I am not as familiar with what is available commercially...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: