Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b3c833545414ebf45f85d58ad9b60c23Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Newbie with a ANH Han Solo Costume

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases Europe -> Nordic Base - Wampa's Cave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andsuor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Newbie with a ANH Han Solo Costume Reply with quote

Hi!
I just posted in the Nordic Legions forum, but I figured I'd post here as well. first I'll begin with a short introduction:
My name is Andreas, and my current hideout lies in Trondheim, Norway (don't tell the Imperials). I'm a student who likes building stuff and now especially stuff that's Star Wars related.

My latest project, ANH Han Solo, just came to an "end" (there is no such ting). I started out making my BlasTech DL-44 ANH Solo blaster based off a C96 Denix and some parts from dmachinist over at theRPF. This lead me far down the rabbit hole, and I figured "Hey, why not get the entire costume?". So I did...

The vest, pants, shirt, gloves and boots all came from indymagnoli from the RPF. Since I have ever barely touched a sewing machine, and I have limited space, I figured it was best to let someone way better than me handle it (I'm more of a hardware/model guy). The belt came from Todd's Costumes (highly recommended) and the greeblies were made by SoloHold (also from theRPF). Everything on the blaster except the molding and milling of the hardware itself (meaning assembly, paint, blueing, weathering) was done by me.

I have just applied to the Rebel Legion, and I really really hope I get approved!! A lot of time and money went to building this.

Here are some pics (sorry for the shoddy quality on some of them, my GF wasn't home and I had to take them myself)
I hope you like it Smile
NB: Shirt appears whiter in pics than IRL. Actually more cream.

[img]http://ge.tt/api/1/files/5aVlgxz1/0/blob/x675?noinc=1[/img]
[img]http://ge.tt/api/1/files/5aVlgxz1/4/blob/x675?noinc=1[/img]
[img]http://ge.tt/api/1/files/5aVlgxz1/5/blob/x675?noinc=1[/img]
[img]http://ge.tt/api/1/files/5aVlgxz1/2/blob/x675?noinc=1[/img]
[img]http://ge.tt/api/1/files/5aVlgxz1/3/blob/x675?noinc=1[/img]
[img]http://ge.tt/api/1/files/5aVlgxz1/8/blob/x675?noinc=1[/img]
[img]http://ge.tt/api/1/files/5aVlgxz1/01/blob/x675?noinc=1[/img]
[img]http://ge.tt/api/1/files/5aVlgxz1/31/blob/x675?noinc=1[/img]
andsuor ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is wrong with the pictures by the way :-P The links still work
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello and welcome Smile We're always happy to see new people here Smile

I'm, unfortunately, not very technically minded, so I cannot help you with the links, but if there's anything else you need, just let me know Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and the costume is looking good, I can't figure out why the url doesn't want to work either, but I took a look at the link.
jedimasterbatty (Björn Westin)
Active Legion Member

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome!!

It is always nice to see more Han Solos! Wink
The outfit looks great and the blaster too. The judges might question you on two thing but they have always been hard on us "Solos".

The two things are the shirt (some judges want a lower cut) and the vest ( some may say it's too long and should end at the waist. But I see no problem with the outfit and think it should be cleared directly!

PS. Never work for Jabba, he pays bad and get really mad if you dump the cargo.. Wink
andsuor ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, everybody:)
Björn, I see what you mean. The shirt is a little high cut, in fact I am thinking of attempting to make another one in a more suitable fabric as well, since this one is more like linen than it should be. I think it would be a nice way to learn something new. Do you have any hints about where I could get some decent sewing patters, by the way?

The vest is waist length as I understand the term. Or perhaps a centimeter too long? My belt is pulled up a bit too high on the picture as well so that may be why it appears too long. I figure I could modify that pretty easily by taking in the seam at the shoulders a cm or two, if needed.

Now I just need to find somebody with a sewing machine :-P Perhaps I'll need to ask my grandma when I get home for christmas

Thanks again for the feedback, I really appreciate it! If there is anything else, please let me know. I want to get this as accurate as possible.
jedimasterbatty (Björn Westin)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that problem with my belt when I submited my photos and they wanted me to take new ones.
Most judges say that the vest in the movie looks as it end at the pants but It changes as you move around.
The judges are hard but fair, and they always help out.

I have 3 approved Han Solo outfits and a few in the works, plus one I can never get approved so I do know alittle. I am happy to help with anything I can so feel free to ask!

I don´t know of any patterns for the shirt but should be easy to make. I usually just measure myself and go by hand.
If it were up to me then I would clear you right away!
Good luck and hope to see you approved, but I think it will go great!
You will be flying that YT-1300 in no time.. Cool
han solo Falcon Dance Chewie
DL (Johan Hanson)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell about the costume but good work on that blaster. Thumbs up
Lutetia ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the REBEL side of the froce Very Happy Your costume looks really great! Smile
StarWarsDave (Dave Turnbull)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The links do not work as they are not links to image files, just webpages. If you store them in a location where the path includes the filename at the end...for example /hansolo.jpg it will work.
www.facebook.com/SWDsCosplay
www.starwarsdave.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases Europe -> Nordic Base - Wampa's Cave All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: