Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cdfc9239582dbc90ae5617a7c1ec9be9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Vera's ANH Leia
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Vera's ANH Leia Reply with quote

I was going to keep this a secret until it was done but I need some advice XD

So finally living up to my forum handle and building an ANH Leia. I wasn't going to because I don't think I look like Carrie Fisher in anything but height and not sure I'll pull it off well, but our local base doesn't have a classic Leia, and I learned last year at the baseball game (when they got a staff member to wear a crappy halloween costume and everyone went nuts over it) that as long as it's recognizable it doesn't matter how well I pull off her look!

Anyway, the dress is done, but I've had problems with the hair. I'm not a brunette and as we all know, wigs don't part well. I also have a small head and commercial ones don't fit well, either. I'm about to build one from scratch, including hand-ventilating the hairline and the center part. It's not going to be long, I intend to add hairpieces for whatever style I'm doing once it's done for both Leia AND Padme.

My question is this:
I am having trouble finding long drawstring ponytails in a medium brown anywhere. I find that Arda wigs has 40" ponytails in a few natural shades of brown. Has anyone used theirs? Is it thick enough for the buns?
http://arda-wigs.com/products/long-clip-ponytail

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Kahna ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why you couldn't adapt the Instabun tutorial method to a wig. It wouldn't require ponytails, just sewing the hair to tulle.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think I'd prefer the ponytail route to start with.

Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look pretty thick, but I don't think you actually need 40" worth. However, It's better to have more hair and cut it off than the other way around. Though, that type of extension will be really heavy. if you want something a little lighter, you could use something more like this and just keep it folded in half for thickness. Then, there is whether your natural hair is closer to the texture of the silky extensions or the more wavy braid extensions.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
They look pretty thick, but I don't think you actually need 40" worth. However, It's better to have more hair and cut it off than the other way around. Though, that type of extension will be really heavy. if you want something a little lighter, you could use something more like this and just keep it folded in half for thickness. Then, there is whether your natural hair is closer to the texture of the silky extensions or the more wavy braid extensions.

I had intended on trimming it, I just can't find tails any longer than 22", and they're all $40 or more each. Then I found this option. I was planning on going with the draw string ponytail, rather than the loose fibers because I haven't been able to keep control of the loose fibers. I already tried. I'm not that good with hair, which is why I was planning the ponytail route. I'm also not putting it into my natural hair because I'm strawberry blonde and temporary dyes don't work on me. I'm going to try and make a wig that will fit my small head.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, those ponytail clips are probably your best bet, and if they do come out looking too thin, you can use more of the wefts you use to build the wig to add some more thickness by stitching them into the ponytail clips.

Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally took some pictures, here's what I've got. Dress looks better on me than the dummy though.

I'm not done with the belt, I was gluing on the button covers, but I'm wondering about the ridges, if I should try and find a way to grind those flush.

I've also been working on modding some boots. The first boots I started with had a good shape, but were a size or two too big, made me look like I had clown feet. I found some other boots online, but they didn't look this pointy in the pics. I'm debating how I want to proceed :p

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking fantastic, Vera!

I love that you are going for making screen accurate boots. I know a lot of other women would love to have boots like that, so if you had any progress photos or tips for doing the same, I know people would love it.

Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your costume looks amazing, and the boots are beautiful!

I agree. If you can make a tutorial for the boots we'll love to have one.
Base Membership Officer 2017
Gelle ()

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking wonderful! In fact, this afternoon, while paging through the Making of Star Wars iBook, I came across that power pose of Leia-with-blaster, which shows the belt in luscious detail –

– and what sprang to mind was, That looks just like Vera's belt. Yours is really sensational.

The ridges on the button blanks are, I think, something very few would be able to notice, or would mind if they did. (A nut like me would be thrilled to notice them and then rush home and build a belt.) But if you're going to be thinking about them while wearing the costume, grind 'em.
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boots really do look great. If the buttons can be ground down, I would try it but if not I don't think it is a problem.
Sothis (Alyona)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've also been working on modding some boots. The first boots I started with had a good shape, but were a size or two too big, made me look like I had clown feet. I found some other boots online, but they didn't look this pointy in the pics. I'm debating how I want to proceed :p

Vera, I had such a problem (the boots for my Padme's Battle outfit that were a size too big!) and I thought the same thing about a clown feet. The only thing - I didn't have any other boots, so I used the ones I had. And you know& The clown feet thing was only inside my head. They turned out to be nice and good and no one ever noticed they weren't my size.
So, if they aren't TOO big, you may give them a chance!
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, guys Smile I will certainly do a write-up with what pictures I took along the way. I can't guarantee anyone I'm doing it the "right" way, but I'm pretty satisfied with them for being a first try.

I just finished one of them. I'm going to finish all this up tomorrow, though with a temporary wig. I'm trying to ventilate a custom wig because I'm crazy like that. I might never get that done.

RavenApprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boots look amazing! Great job Vera! Ben
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Those boots really look spot on! Great job!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: