Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bd4995b4540e157df9c06d3bd21ddc0dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Resin armor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RIVETROADIE ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Resin armor Reply with quote

What is a good way to shape resin armor pieces? Thank you
DL (Johan Hanson)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think making armour out of resin would be too brittle for trooping.
Polyurethane resin props can sometimes be bent with a little heat, though, and it is often done in hot water.

There are lots of guys that have made Boba Fett armour out of Sintra - a PVC foam that can be reshaped with heat.
EVA foam is very popular for cosplay armour right now, much softer than sintra but is not right for every application.
Armour that was sculpted out of paper is often given a layer of fibreglass on the inside - search for "Pepakura" on the 'net for a lot of info.
You need to take special precautions with fibreglass - being outdoors or in a workshop with good ventilation and using a proper respirator is a must. Not just dust mask - respirator. Fibreglass dust can cause lung cancer if inhaled.
nierfherder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat it up with water or other heat sources (heat gun). Resin is perfectly fine for trooping with.
Torment

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resin Armor is absolutely fine for trooping with. DO NOT USE FOAM!

Ill be honest for a moment. I have never seen a foam suit that really looked as good as a hard surfaced counterpart. It is amazing what people can do with it, but in the end it always looks like foam.

Depending on what you are doing with the resin, reshaping can be accomplished. putting curves and bends is about as far as you should go when working with resin, but easy to do. Place the part on a cookiee sheet into an oven at about 300 degrees. let it stand for about a minute. take it out and test its plyability. If it flops in your hand, you can manipulate it. You can bend it, then using the cool air function on your blow dryer, blow colder air on it till it cools. It will settle in that position. Leave it overnight in a position that will keep the curve. It will stay that way once you are done.

all of my armor is resin on my wookiee. All of my pieces start out flat. then I curve them based on my shoulder needs.

It just takes some time and some patience. You can do it. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: