Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1ad63d064482d211e1085c74dbdc978eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

SWW 2014 Rules and Info
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> COSTUME STANDARDS -> Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keki Mpira (Audrey Paul)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st post updated
Nhoj Trebor ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keki Mpira wrote:
Nhoj Trebor wrote:
Thank you.
So gone for good are the two tickets per marcher per parade.

They have been gone for awhile.

Yes, sad.
I love doing SWW, this will be my 7th year. I use the tickets to help defray the costs of taking my two kids to DW every November.
As a single parent it gets harder each year.

Dagobah Base - Episode II Clone Trooper Commander
501st Bast Alpha Garrison - SL 2494
CC 2494
LT-22 (Lance Tomkins)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance here, CO of the Florida Garrison and also a proud member of the Rebel Legion. I'll also be looking over this thread if you all have any questions directly for me. Very Happy

Audrey has been AMAZING to work with as well as many of the RaKura Base Leaders have been in the past so round of applause to you all! SWW would not be the same without the RL, and thats a FACT!

That being said, this year the game is tightening up. This is a public display for the world to see! This isn't your normal daily troop. That's why regulations have gotten a tad bit tighter this year. I promise you nothing was taken lightly and all decision were fully evaluated with what Disney would like to see and what flows with the desired look of the show. I recommend putting your best foot forward. I know it's easy to take submission pics after a troop; but by that time your costume has become a tad bit disheveled. This is a display for the world to see thanks to Youtube. Both groups are being encouraged to put their best foot forward.

That being said, I would like to see you all to march and welcome each and every one of you! Looking forward to seeing you all soon and if you have any questions feel free to ask Smile

Cheers!
-Lance
Red Four (Bernard Finnigan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. No waving, pointing, thumbs up, nodding, smiling toward fans (non-helmeted) or direct interaction while in the march (including pointing weapons). We are a military unit. Absolutely NO talking to the guests.

Well I didnt expect the Spanish Inquisition. Neutral
Makes me glad I did the Rose Parade before things turned so totalitarian.

Rose Parade Veteran
Star Wars in Concert
Keki Mpira (Audrey Paul)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st post updated with additional information --- IT IS AN IMPORTANT UPDATE
loosetoon (Steve)
Bespin Base CO
Bespin Base CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Four wrote:
Quote:
3. No waving, pointing, thumbs up, nodding, smiling toward fans (non-helmeted) or direct interaction while in the march (including pointing weapons). We are a military unit. Absolutely NO talking to the guests.

Well I didnt expect the Spanish Inquisition. Neutral
Makes me glad I did the Rose Parade before things turned so totalitarian.

Correct me if I'm wrong or if this has changed...

This list of rules is copied and pasted from the 501st and is aimed at the Empire's troopers. In past as Rebels we've been able to smile and politely wave.

Rebel Legion Profile

Darth Penguin (Christine Cembrook)
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote] Correct me if I'm wrong or if this has changed...

This list of rules is copied and pasted from the 501st and is aimed at the Empire's troopers. In past as Rebels we've been able to smile and politely wave.[/quote]

You are correct the pilots, Jedi and dignitaries are able to smile, wave and nod.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that makes a lot more sense. People wouldnt recognize the "good" guys if they werent friendly.
Besides, I could have drowned them with on-screen canon references to pilots smiling and waving.
Even so, costuming has come a long way from the happy fan that it used to be. That statement "Your costume will be inspected upon your arrival, and if incorrect, you will be asked to sit down backstage and not participate," is incredibly gestapo. And incredibly, sort of a prediction come true. When Carrie Fisher got the part of Leia in 75-76, she was told to lose 10 pounds. And (as recounted in more than one biography of the making of Star Wars), she was deathly afraid that upon stepping off the plane in England for the first week of filming that the production staff was going to have a scale ready and waiting to record her new weight right then and there, with a return plane-ticket home ready if she didnt measure up.
What used to be paranoid deathly fear is now fostered and even encouraged under a new-speak word "accuracy." I doubt anyone here or at Disney recognizes the irony.

Rose Parade Veteran
Star Wars in Concert
Keki Mpira (Audrey Paul)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Four wrote:
Well that makes a lot more sense. People wouldnt recognize the "good" guys if they werent friendly.
Besides, I could have drowned them with on-screen canon references to pilots smiling and waving.
Even so, costuming has come a long way from the happy fan that it used to be. That statement "Your costume will be inspected upon your arrival, and if incorrect, you will be asked to sit down backstage and not participate," is incredibly gestapo. And incredibly, sort of a prediction come true. When Carrie Fisher got the part of Leia in 75-76, she was told to lose 10 pounds. And (as recounted in more than one biography of the making of Star Wars), she was deathly afraid that upon stepping off the plane in England for the first week of filming that the production staff was going to have a scale ready and waiting to record her new weight right then and there, with a return plane-ticket home ready if she didnt measure up.
What used to be paranoid deathly fear is now fostered and even encouraged under a new-speak word "accuracy." I doubt anyone here or at Disney recognizes the irony.

Disney has asked the 501st and RL to step up their game for the parade. We have been asked to rise to the new guidelines. It is real simple, if you want to march then please submit your photos and sign up when they open.

If not then don't worry about what happens. SWW is a privilege and not a right.

However comparing the FLG or Ra Kura CS or DISNEY to the "Spanish Inquisition" and "Gestapo" stops now.

Disney wants the best show, so we are going to give them their show. If you do not like their rules, then don't sign up. It is as simple as that.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work for Disney. 1994-96. So they're old pals of mine

Rose Parade Veteran
Star Wars in Concert
Torment

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Four wrote:

Wow man, just wow. You seem to think this is a every day troop or something? This is essentially a paid gig. You are being hired to perform a role. If Disney said they only want people of a certain body type that's what they get. Why? They are paying for it. An employer has the right to get what they want if they are paying for something. Is it fair to receive a paycheck for not doing the requested work? I don't believe so.

Disney is now not only the host of this event, but they are owners of all of the intellectual property we are dressing up as. So its their brand, their image, their rights. If they are looking for something we offer it to them to the best of our abilities.

Also let me just make the most obvious observation about rules you can ever make. Rules are made because someone created a reason for a rule. rules are nearly always reactionary because we either experienced a reason to have a rule, or someone has done something in the past meaning a rule carries forward.

The inspection rule was put in place because members who felt entitled to troop this event would show up and their costumes were literally falling apart. Velcro pulling away, armor falling off, or soft parts torn.

Thats just one reason for that. I have done this parade now for 9? years. Each year people try to push the limits, get away with things, lie and cheat their way through things.

Next time before a high an mighty post is put out there ask one simple question, and politely. WHY? You'd be surprised how much crap has happened thanks to people feeling entitled to things.

Rules are rules. Like them or dont. But dont bash someone because they are trying to curve a problem or lots of them without knowing why a rule is in place.
Keki Mpira (Audrey Paul)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st post updated
randyh822 (Randy Herman)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torment wrote:

...Rules are rules. Like them or dont. But dont bash someone because they are trying to curve a problem or lots of them without knowing why a rule is in place.

You mean like some guy showing up the day of the parade unannounced expecting to march in a Disney parade in a purple Imperial officer costume. Because that would never happen...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torment wrote:

Next time before a high an mighty post is put out there ask one simple question, and politely. WHY? You'd be surprised how much crap has happened thanks to people feeling entitled to things.

Rules are rules. Like them or dont. But dont bash someone because they are trying to curve a problem or lots of them without knowing why a rule is in place.

I am not obligated to agree with their rules.
I'm coming at this from the entirely opposite POV, as someone who has been trooping before there EVEN WAS a 501st or Rebel Legion. Pushing 17 years now.
Trooping isnt as fun as it used to be.
Why? What happened to such a joyous activity to leech the fun out of it? The bean counters happened. Judgmental elitism. The "A pilot suit has to have a 3 stitch cross-weave under the sole of your left sock, and it if doesn't you're an amateur newbie fan who embarrasses the REAL costumers here."
Here's the question you need to ask yourself: 17 years ago, when the average costume was made of tin foil and duct tape, when we did the 4th of July parades and Halloween marches and nonsuch, did the average picture-taking patron CARE that we werent 99% accurate? I know from first hand experience they absolutely did not. They loved seeing the Troops whatever we did and I posed for even more pictures then than I do now.
See there's a hidden secret that only people like me have learned: The public doesnt know what "accurate" IS! There's only 6 people in the whole country who know that a Rebel Pilot needs a 3 stitch cross-weave on the sole of his left sock, and they're all RL! The general public does NOT know. And enjoys seeing us no matter what % of accuracy we have.
THAT is the proper goal: Joy of the patron. NOT slavish bean counting.
LFL realized that for the Rose Parade. My pilot costume wasnt 100% accurate, but they let me in, as one of only two pilots in the whole parade, representing Luke Skywalker himself on 6 cable TV channels, for the totally outrageous justification that...I actually had experience trooping parades (In fact I was only one of a handful who did, having marched multi-mile parades in full Xwing suit for several years). And surprise, I marched the whole thing strong and proud and lived up to my responsibility. Heaven forbid someone make "parade experience" a criteria of being picked for a parade, instead of nickel and dime slavish devotion to that 3 stitch cross weave that you cant even see on-screen. Was LFL thinking? Rolling Eyes
Out of the millions who saw me, do you think even 1/10th of 1 % even knew I wasnt accurate? Let alone CARED? There's a lesson in there somewhere...

Rose Parade Veteran
Star Wars in Concert
Jace Darkrider (Ian Letendre)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernard - I understand your frustrations, but the game has changed. Please do not attack other members of the group or other organizations because you don't personally agree with how Disney and/or Lucasfilm are organizing this event. That has no place in this discussion or this forum. Audrey is simply the messenger and coordinator for the RL. She is doing her best to work within the parameters we are given to make this event a success for the event requester. If you don't like the rules, please do not attend this event. It's that simple. There will be no more arguing or derogatory comments made on this topic in this thread. If you do attend this event and bring any of these types of comments or drama with you, you will be told immediately to leave. There will be no warnings.
KJO Council 2012-2013
CO/XO Bespin Base 2004-2006
TI/IC 1074, 501st Legion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> COSTUME STANDARDS -> Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: