Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fe00530c08323aa63bcc7e2b22dbe31cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

DIY Lightsaber Carrying Case

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draeden Wren (Donald Wicks)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: DIY Lightsaber Carrying Case Reply with quote

After attending my first troop with the RL I had come to realize that I needed a better way to transport my lightsaber. As we all know, these things are not cheap and though mine is a dueling blade, it doesn't mean it can't break or become damaged.

I searched through the forums and noted that someone recommended a fishing pole case which I tried but couldn't find one long enough without paying an arm and a leg (I'm not Anakin, you know - arm and a leg, get it? Smile ).

Which led me to this DIY project:

I had purchased the following on Amazon:

1. Alvin Telescoping Tube 3" I.D. T(S2)

Item #: TS2
Dimensions: 28"X4"X4"
Weight: 14.4 oz
ASIN: B000HF6IN6
Price: $21.71 (Prime - no shipping cost)
Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HF6IN6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. M-D Building Products 50144 3/8" Wall 1X3 feet Pipe Insulation Four Pack

Item #: 50144
Dimensions: 41"X8.8X"2
Weight: 2.4 oz
ASIN: B000FPDPDY
Price: $12.06 (Prime - no shipping cost)
Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FPDPDY/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also needed a pair of scissors and some black Duct Tape.

To build the blade housing section I layered one of the pipe walls around the other. Each piece is pre-cut but you have to tear it apart at the perforation. Leave the innermost piece in together, do not separate it.. Split the second layer and wrap it on top of the first piece.

After covering the first layer you will notice that there will be a gap on the outer layer as this section isn't wide enough to encircle the first. With a third piece, measure the distance needed and cut that from that one. Don't throw away the unneeded piece, you will need that later.

Once the third piece is cut set it in the gap and at 5-6" intervals encircle the pieces with duct tape; not too tight. I used black for aesthetic reasons.

Once the third section is bound to the first two, proceed to wrap the whole thing with duct tape. I would recommended using strips and wrapping it at a 90 degree angle instead of wrapping with one long piece at a slight angle, to lessen the amount of tape used.

Place the newly created lightsaber encasement in the hole and place lightsaber, (blade and hilt) inside. Place the previously cut section around the hilt until it can go not further. Pull out an inch and cut. Use that piece to cut two more sections and slide those in around the hilt. (My hilt is an Obi-Wan Episode one hilt. Hilts with a diameter larger than three inches will not fit.

Measure lightsaber, top to bottom when connected and if it is 49" or less (total), it should fit.

Any questions, please feel free to PM me. Photos below.

First "Inner" piece with second Layer on it. Notice the large gap out outer layer.

Small cut section placed on top to cover gap.

Taped at 5-6 inch intervals.

Three strips from leftovers cut to length from Lightsaber housing to top.

Strips stuffed inside to surround and protect Hilt.

Finished Product, complete with Rebel Legion sticker (optional).

[/size]
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fantastic idea! I have a telescoping ArtBin tube for carrying plan sets and posters. It should work just as good as the Alvin.
Thanks for sharing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: