About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=31c2aa0080616b503dbaf59ecb31306eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New R2 Unit!? yay!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwills (Kimberly Wills-Starin)
Blue Ridge Base CO
Blue Ridge Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: New R2 Unit!? yay! Reply with quote

I'm so excited! After years of 'suggesting' my husband dress up with me as a Star Wars character, he finally relented and 'let me' make him a Corran Horn ot wear at DragonCon this year. I even got him a silver bladed Ultrasaber! He had a lot of fun, and now has decided he needs an R2 unit.

O_o

He'a programmer and has already starting laying out what he needs and working out programming an arduino unit (DragonCon was last weekend, btw)

He already has MOST of the tools and skills necessary to make one, and is determined to get one up and running.

Anyway, the Charlotte area should have (another?) R2 unit for events by next year sometime. He's really excited about building his own, and working out the mechanics of the 'dreaded third leg' already. So we'll see how it goes.

Wish us luck!
Ecuador Outpost CO
Ecuador Outpost CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful news, check in astromech.net other droid builders in your zone.

Gio
Blue Ridge Base CO
Blue Ridge Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! i think he already has. He's joined several boards already and has working code in someone else's Droid in Florida.

Thus far, he's gotten a projector, a raspberry pie, some of the other hardware and made the first pass at cutting the legs. Unfortunately, the first set didn't turn out and he has to recut them.

The biggest problem we're having right this second is tracking down an accurate dome.
Ecuador Outpost CO
Ecuador Outpost CO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What dome material are you looking for? Fiber, Alum or Styrene?
Blue Ridge Base CO
Blue Ridge Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, anything that can accurately fit the standards.

We're looking at a few aluminum and possibly stainless steel bowls, but getting a nearly perfect dome has been hard to hunt for. Apparently, R2 is ever so slightly 'bullet' shaped, or just out of round.

If we can't find something, he's looking at trying to make a resin mold. Which we have little to no experience with.

We're also looking at a 3D printed object as a possibility.
Ecuador Outpost CO
Ecuador Outpost CO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to register at astromech.net to reach the dome run current, there are 2 options, Alum laser cuted and styrene laser cutted too, here the links (if you can't acces is cause you need to register first):

Styrene: http://astromech.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3489
Aluminium: http://astromech.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16390

Any question feel free to ask me at any moment, I have a WIP R2 in the facebook: R2D2 Ecuador Builders Club.

Cheers

Giovanni
obi-mark-kanobi (Mark Dickson)
Hoth Base XO
Hoth Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are also fibre glass and carbon fibre domes
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full finished R2D2 builds can take a long time depending on your building and fabrication skills. The runs for parts on the Astromech forums can take a while depending on what you need and where you are in the build. All the parts and plans that are approved on the astromech forum fit nicely together but you still may need to do a lot of fit and finish. My friend and I built my R2D2 in 6 weeks, but that was a lot of work and custom fabrication of the plans from the astromech club. Good luck with your build....

Chewy Layers snow to print
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: