About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=75dbb6b63a22b40d34670a1d2e01783aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

MC landspeeder build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Set Piece and Large Prop Reproduction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Yeah... those were the easy parts Wink .. well.. kinda.

I've been going cross-eyed counting all the IC's and quads. They appear to be Texas Instruments brand and there are 14 pin and 16 pin IC's and sockets. Also, they are from the 70's so they are bulkier so I've been trying to track down vintage ones. I almost have them all covered now.

Counting what's on the back of the speeder, on the rear deck, and on the dash panel, there are 358 - 14 pin sockets, 211 - 14 pin quads, 50 - 16 pin sockets, and 16 - 16 pin quads... or at least that's my best guess.

weeee
Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have said previously this build its outstanding. The level of detail you have gone to replicate the original is amazing, keep up the good work Very Happy

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Tim! Smile

I am almost at a stand still at the moment, waiting for some parts to come in and also waiting for a guy in the UK to come through with sending some parts.

I could start working on the console, which I might do. I have an event with it this weekend and we have an armor clinic next weekend so I won't get to work on it for a couple of weeks now.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more progress Smile

It took a while but I finally tracked down some diodes that had the correct scale and shape. They weren't the right color so I had to paint them.

Spray some paint into a wax cup:

Carefully brush the blue paint on:

Next, the yellow stripe.

I used a toothpick to apply the stripe.

Allow them to dry:

I couldn't find the correct IDC / ribbon cable connector so I decided to buy some modern ones and remove the IDC prongs.

I needed to "open" the prongs and the best time to do this was prior to removing them. I did this by pushing a screwdriver down into the mouth:

Next I hit them with the bench belt sander so I could get to the prongs:

Next I cut the "blocks" out of 1/4" styrene (one time styrene comes in useful Wink ):

Next I ground an exacto blade down to create a chisel / punch so that I could cut the slots for the prongs:

Airbrush the blocks:

Next, I cut the prongs to length, lightly dipped them in CA glue and then pressed them into their slots by using the punch that I made:

Next I needed to make the white opaque end pieces. I had some remains from an old cutting board in the misc. materials box so I cut them out of that.

A little sanding, gluing, and a bit of black paint on one of the tabs and voila:

I also have been hunting for the correct IC chips and sockets for the entire speeder project. I have come to the conclusion that they are all Texas Instruments brand parts and finding vintage 1960's / 1970's parts has been a challenge.

There are both 14 pin and 16 pin IC's and sockets scattered about on the speeder. The ones in this panel are 14 pin. I found the correct 14 pin Texas Instruments Integrated Circuits (I.C.'s) and I found some 16 pin sockets (to be used elsewhere on the speeder) but I could not find the correct 14 pin sockets. I did find another vintage 14 pin socket from another manufacturer that is really close to the TI brand so I went with those... which should be close enough Wink

The socket at the bottom of the photo is the 16 pin one that I found, which shows it is the correct brand and shape but too long. The one above that is the other brand, that I went with.

Next I created the plate and mapped out the locations for all the parts (strangely enough I had a piece of acrylic capped ABS..which didn't matter and it was overkill). I then hit it with some dark gray primer:

Magically (after a few hours of application) it is built:

And it fits Smile

Now Kathy needs to put the magic on, with the weathering and the dirt.

... until next time ...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little panel is done.

Kathy finished with the weathering and dirt.

First she applied a base coat of acrylic paints:

Next, she did her magic with the clear coat and dirt application:

Next, I installed the panel into place and she touched up the edges by adding some clearcoat:

And some more dirt:

Finished (sans a final clear coat to seal in the dirt..yet to come):

...until next time Smile

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such detail!!!!Awesome!

Former BSN Admid.
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Angelo! Smile
I appreciate the kind words.

Being Halloween, even the speeder had to get a costume:

I think we blew people's minds with the whole get up; fraggle troopers, minion R2, mater speeder...good times Very Happy
..see more pics on the FAC facebook page
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo hoo rock pompom

Former BSN Admid.
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW...this was from a troop we did at Toys R Us a few weeks ago:

Do I look out of place? I mean... why wouldn't they ask an AT-ST "Driver" ... to "drive" the landspeeder after the Empire seized it?

I need to make some more progress but I've been waiting on some parts. Plus we have been super busy.
Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is epic!!!

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

10 months of hunting, talking to WWII airplane guys in the UK, and a ton of patience and the universe finally let me have these babies Smile :

In anticipation of finding these a while back I mapped out all the different IC chips and sockets, to vacuum form over:

He also sent me some other random radio parts... for the heck of it:

Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow those parts are awesome!

Your are very lucky Very Happy

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I haven't really felt "lucky" since I was a kid so perhaps you are right. It is a nice compliment. Smile

After looking at the other parts he gave me, most of them are in fact out of the TR1985. ..so I have most of the guts. There are still a couple pieces missing...which happen to be ones I think are in other places on the speeder.

One cool thing though, the dial knob on the channel change drum is on the dash of the speeder, previously thought to be the camera lens used as a droid restraining bolt.

On another note, this part looks a lot like a wheel and a tire from a model kit:

Any ideas??

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking at another reference shot:

Here is a better shot of the steering yoke:

Any ideas where this might have come from?

And looking a little closer at the control panel:

The plate with the knobs, on the channel change drums that I got... is the same plate, only flipped over and the knobs put on the other side:

Now...why are the "knobs" in this behind the scenes photo different from the "knobs" on the speeder in the archives? Who knows. It's tough to tell which speeder this is in this photo, whether it is the drivable one or the one on the boom. One might argue that since it has the steering yoke it might be the drivable one but there is no transmission shifter on the console.

Also, the control panel on the dash in this photo appears to be "finished" which to me says it is the same control panel as the one in the archives and also says a few parts fell off over the years and the folks in the archives replaced the missing parts with different parts. Don Bies did say that he had to replace and fabricate some missing pieces on the speeder, including the steering wheel and shifter knob.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the kind of progress I was making a year ago but it's something Wink

I'm working on the back panels. Again, I am trying to replicate the original as it was in 1976 and as it was seen on screen with the "pink" color engine pods, not as the speeder is today with the "silver" engine pods.

The following original photo is one of the only ones I have found that is pre-episode 1, before they painted the speeder green, cleaned the green back off (mostly), added a bunch of paint to the back, and lost part of one of the vacuum formed panels:

I took photos of the original speeder at an exhibit. I scaled those photos up as best as I could to full scale and printed them. Of course since the back of the speeder is angled, the photo is skewed so I couldn't get all of the measurements but I at least had something to start with:

I made a test frame out of scrap OSB. It took a couple tries to get the proportions to look right:

Next I started on my finish frames. The frame is not square at all so it took a while to figure out the overall shape. Once I got the shape I made a backer board that I could use as a guide when cutting the corner angles and gluing the final frame together. I can also use the backer for vacuum forming the IC's (Integrated Circuits) that go in the middle.

Both frames and backer boards ready for final assembly:

Notice the groove in the frame:

I glued and nailed the frame together and used the backer board as a form to hold it in the right position while the glue dried:

Next to sand the frame, using a pad sander and also by hand with sandpaper:

Next I filled in the nail holes and cracks with lightweight spackling:

Next I applied 3 coats of polyester based (fiberglassing) primer since it's what I have on hand and it goes on thick so I can sand it down and hide the wood grain:

Next it was time to tackle the IC configuration Using the backer board and the real radio part to start the layout:

All the IC's mapped out:

The original IC's were Texas instrument brand, both 14 pin and 16 pin. I was able to find vintage IC's but I could only find some vintage 16 pin sockets. I ran out of patience trying to find vintage Texas Instruments 14 pin sockets so I used a similar vintage socket wherever there isn't an IC and then I used modern sockets wherever there was a vintage IC.

Next I need to bend the pins over and glue all of those to the board. I need to get some disc capacitors to go in there in places also. At that point I will be able to vacuum form over the panel with some thin styrene.

Next I need to make a plan of attack for the "screen". My gut feeling is the original part is a screen for an air intake or perhaps it held down a filter or something. No matter, I need to fabricate it from scratch so that's my next task:

Here are shots of the original "screen", below the radio part:

I have begun making the screen from scratch, using thin strips of styrene but it's not very fun, as you can probably imagine. I might 3d model it and see how well it prints with an SLA printer.

Ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Set Piece and Large Prop Reproduction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: