About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8e35e44dc3b2fbed56439f78bf30eb36Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Handmaiden Flame Gown on Etsy. Good enough for RL?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Do Dad ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Handmaiden Flame Gown on Etsy. Good enough for RL? Reply with quote

Hello.
I've been trying to find a costume for my wife so that she can troop along when I go to events. I found the following listing on Etsy, and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the shop owner or her work?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/102818278/star-wars-padme-flame-gown-episode-i?ref=cat_gallery_2

I would also be curious if anyone here does commission work for this same costume. RL approval is very important to me! :-)
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's missing the lace applique on the sleeves... I've noticed a lot of costumes in that seller's shop are missing a lot of details that are required by RL standards. I know it says it's up to standard, but I wonder if she's working off an old set of standards? A lot has changed in the last year.

I defer to the LCJs on a final ruling, but that's what I noticed when I looked at it.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about this costume, but I would say that the colors need to blend in a bit more better
UCGR Detachment CO
Legion Costume Judge
501st Legion member DZ-11177
https://www.facebook.com/liz.welsh.963

Amidalas (dawn bright)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! When I originally made my gown I almost made a pack of these and started doing research on them, ive always dreamed of having a Handmaiden pack to trek along with me!! Very Happy *love this dress*

When I started to get into the research of sewing it I quickly realized there is A LOT more going on in the dress than i originally anticipated! ^.^
With that said..
Here is my Quick assessment of the differences between the original and this gown

1. The color is darker than the original
2. The color is different. The original is a bronze orange rust on the hood
2. The color transitions are choppy
3. Its missing the embroidery detailing on the sleeves
4. The hood is to large (made different)
5. The sleeves and belt on the original are a less shiny material
6. dress has less velvet than the original, its a much wider dress than this maker has created. its missing the billowing effect along the waist line
7. Cant see bottom of dress

Someone in our Base did a run of these dresses I think. They were approved. Maybe try and mail Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley) and see if she might know/make them? I am not 100% sure on it though! Smile
Hope this helps

Amidala Invasion Gown Guide: http://queenamidalasabe.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Amidalas (dawn bright) on Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:25 am; edited 4 times in total
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points for accuracy, but looking at the standards, absolute accuracy is not always required.

When it comes to approvability, the things that this is most at odds with the standards are that the hood is not fitted enough and the lacking applique. Those two could be fixed easily if you are willing to... but the gradient of the sleeves is supposed to match the gradient of the dress, and they don't get yellow at the end. That's not really a fix you can do.

You should also make sure of what the bottom of the dress looks like and that it's long enough for you.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amidalas (dawn bright)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% agree, the hood and lace detail is totally doable and an easy fix! From what little I can see of the dress I worry that the bottom will be really dark Smile on the original it flows to creme. Ask em for a photo of the bottom maybe?

Since this person makes the dress custom you could ask them to make changes?

I know I got a touch nitpicky! ^.^ but I wanted to point all things out juuust in case!
Have a great day and I hope any of this helped you!

Our Standards
Quote:
-Ombre-dyed velvet gown with a hooded front and back tabard, shifting from a dark/burnt orange hood and shoulders to a pale yellow hem. Hood should be lined; tabard may be either floor-length or end gathered at the waist. Large pointed sleeves need to match color gradient. No panne velvet.
-Fitted under hood of a red matte fabric with an obvious brim and high collar.
-Fitted under sleeves of a red matte fabric with detailed red lace appliqué on forearm at the hem.
-Large waist sash of a red matte fabric with a pleated, asymmetrical cross-over in the front that widens at the back to nearly or completely cover the hips and rear.
-Hair should be pulled back and hidden under the hood. No bangs. Naturally-occurring hair colors only.
-Low-heeled coordinating tailored pumps or flats.

JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amidalas wrote:
Someone in our Base did a run of these dresses I think. They were approved. Maybe try and mail Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley) and see if she might know/make them? I am not 100% sure on it though! Smile
Hope this helps

Actually, your best bet there is Joslynn, aka GentleBant. As pretty pony princesses go, she knows the most of any of us, and is one of the foremost handmaiden experts in the Legion. Not sure she has time for commissions, but she can tell you a lot about the costume and how to best make it.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Ken Do Dad ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Thank you, ladies! Reply with quote

I knew I was asking the right people on this one. :-) I was having some misgivings about that listing, the hard color changes in particular (and the hood shape). I will be pursuing some of the options you've provided and I will let you know how it turns out. Thank you, again!
-Shane
aka, Ken Do Dad
Amidalas (dawn bright)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Lisas got it! GentleBant knows her stuff.

You are so welcome and always happy to help! I hope you get a hold of one soon so your wife can troop with you.
May the force be with you!

GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little late to the conversation, but while the costume has the "feel" of the flame gown, it falls a bit short on getting it.

As noted, appliques are missing. Hood is the wrong shape. Red sleeves are much too short, IMO. Also, the velvet sleeves do not look to be "Large pointed sleeves need to match color gradient."

Even if much of it technically adheres to standards, I'd say the applique, the color gradient, and the gown's velvet sleeves do *not* meet the standards.

That being said, I think I've done 4 or 5 versions of this gown, trying to get all the seams and colors just right, and it really is a bear of a job. If I ever get permission to dye again ( Smile ), I may give it one more go. Having worn a "semi-real" version of the gown makes me that much more frustrated with my own attempts. Ah, someday... (And Dawn, when that time comes, I am SO following you around in your decoy!)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread makes me want to make that dress for myself now... Joslynn one of these days I need to pick your brain on this one.

In talking with one of the other judges, in the past, with modifications, we've approved one of these and denied one of these, it really depends on how well it fits the woman. Given that this seller may be indeed a bit unreliable with fit and the construction isn't quite accurate, I would advise trying to commission from someone else for this dress.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've made this dress, here is my two cents.

The balaclava (inner hood) seems to be far too loose. And it's hard to see how well the brim is made.
The hood is too large.
The color gradient on the skirt is too hard.
There is no color gradient on the sleeves.
The fitted sleeves are too short. (I completely agree with GentleBant).
There is no applique on the fitted sleeves.
The sleeves are the wrong shape and lenght.
Several seamlines are either missing or just wrong.
It doesn't appear like there's a tabbard.

And I can't see the bottom of the dress, so no saying what that looks like.

Even if you did upgrade this with applique and made the balaclava tighter, I highly doubt it would be more than informal at best. I know mine wouldn't be approvable to formal these days and that's fine with me. I do love my dress, but I also know that is falls short on several different points, and it was very much an experiment to make. I do hope to someday make a new version of it, but silk velvet is a bit expensive. Rolling Eyes

Here is a link to my album, which include all of our ref pics, my approval pics, our process pics, and a few updated pics. http://s239.photobucket.com/user/Maria-Lora/library/Kostumer/Flame%20gown?sort=2&page=1

If you want to follow our process you need to start on page 10 (at the top) and then go backwards. Some pics have explaining comments. Page 1 is ref pics, page 2 mostly my approval pics. Most of page 10 and 11 is updates from different events and doing the applique on the sleeves.
And please remember that this is not perfect; mistakes were made, but we did have very little to go by as there was no real information available at the Legion at the time. And this was made before the changes to the standards.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good points made here ladies.

I was curious about this gown also (I saw it on etsy a few months back, and I was happy that this thread was started so that we could get some advice from the judges), and my first instinct was that the colors didn't blend in very well. But thank you for pointing out the other differences in the gown Smile

This is definitely my favorite handmaiden outfit, and the one I would choose if I ever decided to make/buy one someday.

Gentlebant you have a beautiful flame handmaiden gown, love it! Smile
UCGR Detachment CO
Legion Costume Judge
501st Legion member DZ-11177
https://www.facebook.com/liz.welsh.963

GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Liz...but I have to admit, that if you're talking about the one in my sig bar, that isn't mine. Smile It was lent to me for the Rose Parade, and it will be forever the reason I am never, ever satisfied with any version I ever make myself.

As far as the one in my profile goes, that's, I think, one or two incarnations ago. (I still have, so it's valid, but not worn anytime in recent memory.) I've redone it in silk velvet, but between the spill I had with the dye on the upper hood (all over, spotches, /sigh), and the chasm that exists between the seams I observed and my ability to replicate their placement, it's back in pieces again to try and "get it right".

Wish I had the time and money to just keep buying silk velvet and play with it several more times!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an older pic of mine before I took it apart again:

The fit is horrible, and I completely blew it when I measured the hood, which makes it hang/fit incorrectly. Unfortunately, I can't add back in fabric there, so...

Smile

Try, try again (with new fabric, someday!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: