Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=789aea884889ea92cc4086e1043d067aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Appropriate length for custom saber

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunnyteresa ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Appropriate length for custom saber Reply with quote

Is there a window of what's acceptable or not as far as lightsaber length?

Specifically, I would like to go a little shorter than normal, and definitely a little shorter hilt, as most feel really long and unwieldy to me.

Thanks.
Jedi of Poker (Tim {T.J.} Balski)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big question is:

Will this be just a 'belt hanger decoration' or do you plan on having electronics in it?

Electronics will require the hilt to be of adequate length based upon the type of components used. Count on an average length of 10" inches. The typical two-handed 'bastard' sword hilt is at least 12" for two-handed wielding.

If it's just going to be a belt hanger (and not meant for actual use), then make it as short as you'd like it.
RAID XO & CO 2012-2013
Ra Kura BMO 2011-2012

"Flattery will get you nowhere, but {for the sake of my fragile ego} please don't stop trying..."
jin starkiller ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 3 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are talking blade length it all depends on the size of your hilt and personal preference .....I use between a 32" to 36"blade. The hilt can be anywhere from 8"to 16"depending on what all you have in it sound card, crystal chamber etc,,,

Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."Master Yoda"
sunnyteresa ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I would hate to put a lot of time into it only to find it was an inch too short. I want it to be more than just the hilt hanging.

I am thinking about a 10-12' blade, but a shorter blade - maybe as short as 24". Would that be a problem?
Drazhar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnyteresa wrote:
Thanks, guys. I would hate to put a lot of time into it only to find it was an inch too short. I want it to be more than just the hilt hanging.

I am thinking about a 10-12' blade, but a shorter blade - maybe as short as 24". Would that be a problem?

You usually won't find many blades shorter than 30", but it's all about what looks proportionate to you. Since the blade will be removable and not have any electronics in it, you'll find a different center of balance on one you build vs a stock FX saber too.

ARE YOU READY?
sunnyteresa ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant a 10-12" hilt with a 24-26" blade. Embarassed
Ste-Waz Sandoli (Stephane VOISEY)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ususally, the lenght of the lightsabers I built are similar to a katana
(about 103-105cm ; 40 1/2 - 41 1/3 in.)
with a hilt lenght who is about 30 cm (11,8 in).
Ben Member of KJO - 2013-2014 Six Towers Jedi Temple Master ; Pilot Member of the RLSC - #7 in the Corellian Griffons Squadron ; Tuskin Member of the Wretched Hive ; rft Member of the RAID
rebelbird French Base Commanding Officer (2014-2018)
saber 2
aka Baron Waz - TI-16707 in the 501st
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll all depend on what feels comfortable to you and your goals for the saber. I'd suggest getting a 3' piece of pvc pipe, broom stick, or something similar, mark a line for the hilt at 10-12", and see if that feels comfortable to you and achieves the look you want. Also, if you're uncertain on blade length, you can always cut the blade yourself and keep going until you reach a good length.

As a side note, the hilt I carry is just under 10". It feels good for use in one hand (which was the intent), but wouldn't be my first choice if I wanted to pose/spar with two hands on the hilt (though two hands do fit).
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightsabers above all other jedi costuming parts are more personal ,

everyone has tabbards and tunics ect. .but the lightsaber is unique to each, so there really is no rule that determines saber construction ... just blade color...
BedlamX (Tommy Sutton)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 24-26 inch blade would be fine if that is the look you are going for. As long as it is a blade for an LED saber, you can always cut it down to what you want. My wife has a saber-staff for her Sith and I just cut down a 36 inch blade to fit what she needed when it is in the "pike" configuration (I think hers is in your 24-26 inch range).

Judicial Officer-Mandalorian Mercs
Nes'ari (membership officer)-The Dark Empire
sunnyteresa ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up buying one second hand. The hilt is 12" and the blade is 28". It does feel unwieldy, but it seems it is more from the weight of the hilt rather than the length.

Not the best shot, but here it is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: