About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=04e948b90db4ade3dba91498f839395cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Tunic Tutorials (plus tabards/obi), by SithariRog
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an angled waist seam on my tabards to account for counture. It is hidden beneath the obi.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a GREAT recommendation, Lora!

In fact, with tabards, covering much of the outer tunic, and the obi covering a portion of the tabards, there's plenty of room for adjustments that would not be seen.

Also, keep in mind that this tutorial is meant to show how the Simplicity 4450 pattern was modified to a screen accurate OWK costume. But...the information here, with some creativity in sizing, can be used to create practically any costume for any Jedi, plus or undersized, make or female!

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of tabbards for my blue jedi that are wide at the shoulder, but narrow at the waist, to give a more defined waistline. Then, they get wider again below the obi. You can see the costume in my profile Smile I really like how that looks, and I think it helps make my waist look nice in the costume Smile

Also, as Lora says, angled waist seam help to make sure the tabbards hang down in a straight line and don't cross below the obi Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Zam I Am ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SithariRog wrote:

In fact, with tabards, covering much of the outer tunic, and the obi covering a portion of the tabards, there's plenty of room for adjustments that would not be seen.

Also, keep in mind that this tutorial is meant to show how the Simplicity 4450 pattern was modified to a screen accurate OWK costume. But...the information here, with some creativity in sizing, can be used to create practically any costume for any Jedi, plus or undersized, make or female!

Yeah, I have the 4450 pattern and trying to make sure my adjustments are similar enough to the real tabards of my costume. Roger, in your version , you have a seam at the shoulder, but in my costume, there is no seam at the shoulder, which alters the pattern entirely. Would you suggest that I just use the same pattern from 4450? I have a baltar swan.
Anna, is yours like a Y? your profile picture is not a front shot, so I can't really see the cut and seams properly. Sad

I just made a muslin test, and my friend offered up great solution to the tabbards having the correct seams and hiding stuff. Just have the back open up like a pillow fold so you can invert the tabbard. And for Pleather/leather tabbards, just put re sew it down near the obi, so everything doesn't puff out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Padawan Ra'Zen (Louie Urbanczyk)

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaand now I know how to make my costume better!! Haha Smile
Had posted a thread asking for advice, then stumbled across this gem Very Happy
Ixam Let'si (max)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SithariRog,

I was wondering, I have a pattern from simplicity 5480 which has a tunic, in order to make it form fitting you would need to make the sleeves tighter but how would you get the torso be tightened in order for it be accepted as an inner tunic?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ixam Let'si wrote:
Hi SithariRog,

I was wondering, I have a pattern from simplicity 5480 which has a tunic, in order to make it form fitting you would need to make the sleeves tighter but how would you get the torso be tightened in order for it be accepted as an inner tunic?

Well, I'll give you two answers:

(1) just use a "smaller" pattern. If you're a "large", then just a medium...only don't shorten the sleeves.

and

(2) The neck of the IT and the sleeves should be "form" fitting...basically like a dress shirt. The rest or the IT doesn't matter as it will be covered by the Outer Tunic.

Most OWKs use a knit, which is stretchy. Knit is, however, very difficult to sew (being stretchy). I just made an IT out of a non-stretchy fabric. I LOVE it...though I had to play around with the sleeve opening to make it just large enough to get my hand through.

Mock-ups are your friend Wink

sze-wan ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the inner tunics in TPM were not "form fitting" at the neck.

Many in AOTC were not form fitting, either. Certainly, not like a dress shirt.

Quote:
(2) The neck of the IT and the sleeves should be "form" fitting...basically like a dress shirt...

this is only true of OWK, ROTS.

I realize that OWK ROTS was the basis of this tutorial,
but why would this become a generalization for all generic jedi?

thanks.
Amidalas (dawn bright)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't typically use patterns to make my costumes. But I sure do when I make Jedi robes and I use this tutorial! I love it *is using it right now*
Thank you so much Roger for this tutorial! Its IMMENSELY helpful.
MTFBWY!

Amidala Invasion Gown Guide: http://queenamidalasabe.blogspot.com/
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Dawn Very Happy

The whole point of any of my tutorials is to share knowledge of making Jedi costumes. While my tutorials are, in fact, based off of OWK (ROTS), my intent was to offer information regarding how I make Jedi costumes, in general. I've used my own tutorials (as have many others) to make many of the face character Jedi (from all eras, including the EU) and generic Jedi.

I'm happy that so many of our costumes have been able to make great Jedi costumes from all of our tutorials (not just mine).

GenNerd041212 ()

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Thank You SithariRog Reply with quote

Hello,

Thank you for the tutorial, I am 5'5 and weigh 170lbs. is there any way you can modify the measurements for someone that short? Also, at this point in my life (i'm only 21) I don't make a lot of money, yet, can I make a rather inexpensive IT, Obi and OT, just for the purposes of having a jedi costume?

I want to be apart of this really bad, but I don't have enough money nor sewing knowledge to make a regulation costume, any suggestions?

Also who would I talk to to have relations for my College club in New York?

Thanks your help!
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello There GenNerd041212!

I'm glad you've chosen the Jedi costume as your first costume for the Rebel Legion. I also see you've found the Echo Base forums and have posted. I replied there and asked you to post in the Blumfruit Temple forums so you can get in touch with some local Jedi!

As for sewing skills? Well...you don't need to have a sewing machine (although it REALLY helps). There are several Jedi who have sewn their Jedi costumes by hand. It takes a while, but you can do it. But...if you've got access to a sewing machine or can find one cheap (you should be able to find one for under $100), then it would help you a lot.

Don't know how to sew? Well, neither did I when I started. It just takes some research. And...you can find a video tutorial on everything (including sewing) on youtube. So, browse the videos there.

As for modifying this pattern to fit you? Well...that's the purpose of this tutorial. I've given measurements for my costume and some idea of what size fellow I am. With a tailor's measuring tape (a few dollar from Wal-Mart), some paper, a ruler, a square tool (you can get a cheap plastic one at an office supply store for a couple of dollars or a large metal one from a home improvement store for $10-$15), and some time...and you can make your own patterns.

I'll give you a quick example of how you might do this:

Let's use the first image of an actual pattern piece, the Outer Tunic Back, or OT Back. As you can see, the height from the top to the bottom (from the shoulder to the waist) is 23". The bottom of this pattern piece should fall around where you will be wearing your utility belt, basically, at or just below your belly button). You measure this distance on your body, and if it's not 23", then you make the change.

Next, you notice the measurement from left to right side at the bottom is 13". This measurement came from measuring one of my suit coats. I measured the width of a suit coat across the back and from the right and left seams (the seams running down the sides and under the arms). For my suit coat, this was 26". Half of 26" is 13". Why half? Well, if you study the pattern, you see the OT Back pattern piece has one side that reads "cut on fold" (on the left side of the picture). This means you will fold your fabric, and lay the edge of the OT Back pattern piece that says "cut on fold" on the fold of the fabric. Then when you cut the piece out, you open the folded pattern piece and you will see you've cut out the whole piece for the back of the OT.

This may all take a little thinking but you can do it.

I would recommend you develop your pattern, then sew you an outer tunic using old bed sheets or some VERY cheap fabric (like muslin, which you can get for as low as $1/yard). This will test your pattern. If it's too big, small, or whatever, you can alter the pattern before you sew the real material.

Finally, making my fabric parts all myself, I can easily make an inner tunic, outer tunic, tabards, obi and even get some pants....all for under about $80.

It'll take some time to figure it out...and me and a lot of others are more than willing to help you through your costume making process.

If you have any questions (and I'm sure you will), don't hesitate to contact me by PM or you can friend me on FaceBook.

stardancer1914 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: Scotchguard spray helps with wool as does rubbing it with a dryer sheet to keep things from sticking. Won't help with mud and such but will prevent staining. Smile

A good cheap fabric is Queen and King size sheets purchased from yard sales and thrift stores. If you use a large stitch to sew then it is easy to rip it out and use the pieces for your patterns.
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great idea! I'm about to make my first two lady Jedi costumes...and will need to do done mock ups to make sure the pattern mods work Wink

delston (David Elston)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: A couple rookie questions Reply with quote

Hi SithariRog,

I've found your tutorials, and decided this past weekend that I'm going to go for it as a fun project to work on. Thanks for these really helpful posts. I'm currently finished with the patterns, and cut out all the test fabric last night. Eager to start stitching the OT. I've got a few questions if you can lend me your comments:

1. What sort of stitch are you using to in the shoulders, down the sides, and the sleeves? After spending a few minutes examining the seams in my dress shirts this morning (something I've never paid much attention to!) it appears they use a fell flat seam. I see you mentioned learning how to do french seams, but wasn't sure if that's what you used for the construction of the main panels.

2. When you say wash the fabrics prior to stitching, do you simply put in the uncut fabric roll in the wash, or after cutting? I'm only asking out of concern it'll come out badly frayed.

3. I'm a little unclear what is going on in the pattern steps 6, 7 & 8. I think it appears to be creating a collar, but can't be sure though. Could you perhaps provide a close up pic of the collar on your OT?

On a side note...Can you comment on the Jedi robe material you selected? I see some wool selections online that are nice, but pretty expensive ($16+/yd). I like the thickness of wool, but don't want to overdo it if there's a particular type I should be looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I also should say thanks for opening my eyes to a craft I never knew i had interest in. (sewing, tailoring, etc.) I watched my mom quilt and sew for decades, but never really gave it a go until now.

David

PS, I'm sure I will have more questions eventually...but I've learned a ton already.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: