Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3995eab6b605cb586d817f748db5230dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Costume Patern help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterHiram ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Costume Patern help Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to start work on my generic Jedi costume and I want to go out and pick up some physical patterns to work from. Can anyone tell me which ones I should use and/or which to stay away from?
Anakin Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many use a simplicity pattern, the base is good but it need some major mods.

you could try Rogers pattern in the jedi tutorial section Smile

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kira is right Wink

The one that is sought after is Simplicity 4450, which has been out of print for many years. But…I just saw it listed on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simplicity-4450-Star-Wars-Jedi-Obi-Wan-Anakin-Skywalker-Costume-Sewing-Pattern-/290989728817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c056e431

The other that you can still find fairly easily is Simplicity 5840:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simplicity-5840-Sewing-Pattern-Halloween-Costume-Adult-Star-Wars-Jedi-/231069451578?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ccd0053a

But…we have a tutorial where the 4450 has been modified to be screen accurate. The pattern is there, so it’s a simple matter of drawing out your own….thus saving you some money. Have a look here:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29112

And there are other exceptional tutorials besides mine.

And…I moved this topic to the general Jedi forums Wink
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Simplicity 5840 pattern is a good pattern for the basic costume, but it needs modifications. Most of the patterns would need modifications. However, here are a list of patterns that you can look at for a good Jedi Outer Tunic.

Simplity 5840
This is a good pattern for the basic outer tunic, but need some modifications to be Rebel Legion appropriate. The biggest is that most of the accessories need to be modified to look good. The main jacket needs to be lengthened and the edging needs to stop at the waistline. The obi sucks and the tabards need at least the front line to include flaps below the obi. The dickie is okay, but feels like you're wearing a halter top (I know I used one of these with my Darth Nihilus). Finally, the robe is nowhere near what is necessary for the CRLs.

Simplicity 3772
This is a good pattern, with some modifications, for an inner tunic and has a good pattern for trousers included. It can also be used for a great outer tunic, again with modifications. It includes multiple ties to keep the inner tunic set and closed higher, but can be substituted with only one tie at the waist for the outer tunic. You may need to move some of the seams around, but this pattern includes a gusset under the arm to make poses and saber spinning more comfortable.

Long Outer Tunic
If you are looking to do a longer tunic, then I would suggest this. Whether you are male or female, the kimono pattern needs very little modification to be a Jedi outer tunic. Among the modifications necessary would be the sleeves.

Besides these, I would suggest that you also look for short kimono patterns in your local fabric/pattern store. Most short kimono are the proper length for the shorter version of Jedi robes and the kimono patterns themselves require little modification to make them appropriate. Martial arts gi patterns are the same way, and some of those include the gussets under the arm for easier movement.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I made my robes based off of the 5840 (I fixed the tabbards, replaced the obi, and made a real inner tunic, so I feel pretty confident on that end), but I also based my robe on the pattern as well. I know the hood was altered, and we did something with the seams (I didn't have much personal involvement with the robe). I'm actually nervous now hearing that that robe is way far off. What are the differences that could keep it from being accepted?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hood is the big one, but the sleeves need to be widened and it needs to be bigger (it's not supposed to fit around the body).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elastic, buttons, and snaps? What is this witchcraft you speak of? Next thing you know, you'll be talking about velcro and sergers.

Actually, the button idea sounds amazing as you won't have the potential of ties cutting into the skin under the obi. The light elastic on the back will also help with keeping the rear in order for those of us with "less than ideal" body shapes.

Good ideas.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lauphen_Staar wrote:
So I made my robes based off of the 5840 (I fixed the tabbards, replaced the obi, and made a real inner tunic, so I feel pretty confident on that end), but I also based my robe on the pattern as well. I know the hood was altered, and we did something with the seams (I didn't have much personal involvement with the robe). I'm actually nervous now hearing that that robe is way far off. What are the differences that could keep it from being accepted?

Robes....as in your tunics? While the commercially available costume patterns are generally okay, the main problems with them is that (for the more traditional Jedi), the sleeves are not full enough and there is no "skirt", so the part of the outer tunic below the obi is too form fitting.

But, if the overall costume looks right, then you may be okay. But adding a skirt to the main body of the outer tunic (if you have enough material) is fairly easy.

As for the actual hooded robe (or cape)? Basically, the consensus of our CSC, the hooded robes need to be more like those seen on the main Jedi Masters of the Prequel movies. The smaller robes (most notably worn by Luke and Old Ben) are reserved for those characters. Of course, we allow hooded capes and split robes (like Anakin, ATOC). But the biggest issues we have with hooded robes is that they're not full enough. The good thing is, you don't have to have a hooded robe for formal status.
sze-wan ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:
Elastic, buttons, and snaps? What is this witchcraft you speak of? Next thing you know, you'll be talking about velcro and sergers.

Actually, the button idea sounds amazing as you won't have the potential of ties cutting into the skin under the obi. The light elastic on the back will also help with keeping the rear in order for those of us with "less than ideal" body shapes.

Good ideas.

- buttons at the front waistline will keep the tunic straight and level;
prevents the right/left panels from slipping with respect to each other; maintains a static neckline.

- elastic at the back waistline prevents "bunching" at the sides;
maintains tension between the front panels; keeps the tunic 'flat' across the stomach.

-=====-

FWIW, this same "witchcraft" will also work with tabbards.

if you're tired of tabbards slipping back and forth, left-to-right..
and you're always wondering if your tabbards are "centered" at the back..

- elastic 'waistband' at the sides keeps even tension left-to-right;
ensures the tabbards are always "centered" at front AND rear.

- snaps at the center will allow for the left/right sides to "pivot", but NOT slip sideways.

with the addition of "snaps and straps", then your tabbards become a single garment:
they wear like a "vest", and they will never move sideways with respect to each other.

-====-

This all just makes it easier to keep things straight and level.

Also, to be honest, it just makes things easier to WEAR:

You can throw on the tunic, with the tabbards attached at the shoulders;
don this ALL as one garment; fasten 3 'snaps', and you're DONE --> everything straight and level.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an interesting idea. I actually made my tabards with a belt that fit under the Obi. It was the same vest idea, but the belt secured to the sides of the tunic with velcro around the sides and a velcro closure on the front (velcro can be adjusted easier than snaps). However, the shoulders have a single snap to hold the tabard in place (and will have a double button to hold the cloth tabard and pleather tabard in place).

I'll have to experiment with the elastic idea, though. Perhaps also make the snap on the center of the tabards a double snap that also hooks to the outer tunic and obi to keep everything in place. I'd still keep the sides of the outer tunic with the ties, though. It's a martial arts tradition thing and ensures a little bit of adjusting for body changes without needing to reposition the snaps.

/rubs hands together like an evil genius with a new plan
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... I foresee alterations to my current costume build... That is brilliant! (I did use gi-type ties to close my first tunic, which worked rather well, so I might just do the same thing for my new one since Velcro and I have a love-hate relationship. But using snaps to secure my ever-moving-around-in-a-rather-irritating-fashion tabards... hmmmmmm....)
sze-wan ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re:tabbards

those elastic straps require VERY little tension, to keep things "naturally" straight -- think "equal" , not "tight" -- as long as the tension is "equal" on both sides (read: as long as the 2 straps are the same length and elasticity) then this "equal" tension between left and right WILL find the center of your body. every time.
Lauphen_Staar (Emma)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SithariRog wrote:
Robes....as in your tunics? While the commercially available costume patterns are generally okay, the main problems with them is that (for the more traditional Jedi), the sleeves are not full enough and there is no "skirt", so the part of the outer tunic below the obi is too form fitting.

But, if the overall costume looks right, then you may be okay. But adding a skirt to the main body of the outer tunic (if you have enough material) is fairly easy.

As for the actual hooded robe (or cape)? Basically, the consensus of our CSC, the hooded robes need to be more like those seen on the main Jedi Masters of the Prequel movies. The smaller robes (most notably worn by Luke and Old Ben) are reserved for those characters. Of course, we allow hooded capes and split robes (like Anakin, ATOC). But the biggest issues we have with hooded robes is that they're not full enough. The good thing is, you don't have to have a hooded robe for formal status.

Yes, I mean my tunics. I couldn't think of a way to describe them. :p After seeing all this, I do plan on adding a skirt (especially for comfort reasons) but now I may just throw the whole thing on and post some pictures for people to see where else we ended up off. (I made them without knowing the wealth of information on this site!)

As for the hooded robe, we made it a size up with heavy fabric and extra pleating so it's definitely voluminous. Now I'm just not sure it's voluminous enough O.O
Lanthe (Bridget)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the elastic witchcraft on those tabards!
I have some buttonhole elastic lying around (it's elastic with buttonholes in it http://www.joann.com/button-hole-elastic-3-4in-wide-30-yards/2173649.html ) and I might try it with a button instead of a snap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: