About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=50a82a64a64cd1d1739ec16d93cf0267Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

The B-wing Pilot Helmet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: The B-wing Pilot Helmet Reply with quote

I just thought I'd post a quick update and mention that I'm finally working on the mold for the B-wing pilot helmet. After a number of hold-ups with my Jedi costume I finally decided to make some progress on the helmet. I haven't done much yet, but something is better than nothing, eh?

So far I've just started filling in the back and top edges with clay to widen them and even out them for accuracy. Once the clay is dry and the cracks filled in, I'll sand it, get the rubber on there, and bam! Ready for resin. Well, hopefully. Razz

All of the greeblies are done except for the round side greeblie that I still need to make. Well, and two other small greeblies that get glued on top of another (which the "other" is already finished).

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ywingfighter (Frank)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dance Chewie Show more pics please! Looks good men!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't much else to show yet. I was sanding it this morning... I should have the sanding finished this weekend.

And hey, post number 2000. Razz

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Birgle38 (Jeff Harris)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forgot, I get first dibs!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger roger. Laughing

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
RebelJedi77 (Jason Stoxen)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now with Celebration: Anaheim announced, I guess I have a deadline to get my B-Wing done.

On that note, I call second dibs!
Iron Edge (Ian Cook)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep up the good work!

Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress on the helmet?

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some more sanding but not much beyond that yet. I got a little swamped this week with... stuff... x.x

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
ywingfighter (Frank)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,
any updates of your helmet work?
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't made a lot of progress on it lately. I've been trying to get my Jedi costume finished in time for a big troop at the end of September (trying to finish it a week or two ahead of time so there's time to get it accepted), so must of my effort has been on that because I still have a ways to go and not much time to do it.

After the outfit is finished I'm going to get serious about the helmet. I have pretty much finished sanding it so all I need to do now is hit it with the rubber to make a mold.

Though I did find a fighter pilot helmet visor that I think may work for the helmet once it's dyed...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Birgle38 (Jeff Harris)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on the B-Wing helmet?

Outlaw10 by Birgle38, on Flickr
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have gotten back into working on it. Not a lot of progress so far because of some family issues and college has started back up (two science classes one after another + I'm terrible at science = lots of headache) but I did finish sanding it down and filling in a couple seams that shouldn't be there. I also noticed a split on the front right side of the helmet that shouldn't be there so I filled that in as well.

I've made progress on the new right side disc-shaped greeblie as well.

This weekend I'm going to run out to Barnes & Noble and see if I can find that new Making of Return of the Jedi book and see if it has any interesting pictures of B-wing pilots and see if it'll help me out any. Probably can't afford to buy the book but I can take a look, anyway.

Other than that, I'm still brainstorming as to how exactly I'm going to make the thing. Even the mold I haven't completely decide on because I really don't want to cut the helmet in half to make two side molds-- I don't think I could saw through it, anyway, the thing is like a brick. I thought of making one large rubber mold-- covering the entire helmet with it-- and then cutting the rubber mold in half after it dries so there would be two halves. But that would mean I would have to take the helmet out of it to cut the rubber, which would make making a mother mold harder because the rubber could bend in without any support...

I would prefer to make the helmet as one whole piece but I'm not sure how I could do that without any tools or machines that I don't have access to...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
RebelJedi77 (Jason Stoxen)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a while since this thread has been updated. Any progress on this?
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't really made much progress lately... I've had a lot of things going on in life and just haven't had the time (and often haven't had the energy) to do much work. And my Jedi costume has taken a whole lot longer than I expected it would-- I thought I would have it finished by now-- so that's also delayed me.

So yeah, not much progress lately. Though I have been brainstorming things about it. I think I have the casting process figured out, more or less, but I'm still not sure how the heck I'm going to make a mold of it. I don't want to cut my helmet in half, but I also can't mold the entire thing because there would be no way to support the mold wile the resin cures... So I'm still trying to figure that one out.
I guess one option would be to make one large, solid mold like the helmet is now, and then the inside would just need to be cut out from the cast piece. That's not ideal, but it's an option...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: