About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e1e8a1f6f4e1b9ebcf9cf88d24e020bbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Stealth Squadron X-Wing Pilot Costume
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> EU Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewka wrote:
The helmet looks like a typical X wing helmet to me, just with slots. Some quality time with my dremel would make that and then get backed with plastic on the inside.

DON'T dremel your helmet out!!! The "slots" are there because the artist is too lazy to draw the sliced-onion graphic over and over again. How do we know that? He draws the same slots on the normal X-wing helmets at the beginning of the series.

Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:
DON'T dremel your helmet out!!! The "slots" are there because the artist is too lazy to draw the sliced-onion graphic over and over again. How do we know that? He draws the same slots on the normal X-wing helmets at the beginning of the series.
Would it be acceptable to dremel the slots out, to make it accurate to the graphics? If someone were trying to recreate the helmet in detail, I do not see this as being something bad.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could, but it's not looking like the dremelled slots will be part of any Costume Standard. Perhaps it would be if we see the same detail done by multiple artists, but while it's still under one artist, it's just him repeating a mistake.

HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, changing this thread title to "Stealth Squadron X-wing" to differentiate this Rebel Alliance suit from the Stealth X-wing used by the New Jedi Order time period.

G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so Jon would we be looking at just using a typical helmet with a new paint job and no slots, or representation of slots?

The paint is easy enough, black with whatever cog color is chosen.

I went back and looked at the images again. while there are differences in the suits, the images from the comic panels (vs the cover art) show BDU/ACU style pockets on the thigh instead of common flight suit pocket.

looking to the cover art there is a strip that runs the length of the suit. Looks like the horizontal/slanted strips that are mounted to the chest, carried further on down the leg, likely full lenght.

I would likely start the suit from scratch. opinions on this color?
https://www.fabric.com/buy/fk-053/cotton-blend-twill-grey

I may have to actually go to a comic shop and do something I havent done since I was 10- buy a comic book!

Rghur DURgk'Hur: Warrior, Nomad, Hunter
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

following up on my post from above I did the BAM SWR troop yesterday and picked up issue 9 . There's a couple of head shots in the back of the issue but nothing that I can see that is really definitive.

Strapworks.com makes heavywieght charcoal 2" webbing in polypropylene. I have some here that I have used in the past.

Would this be an acceptable color for the webbing?

Also automotive workwear has a charcoal color coverall, I have not seen this in the range before and I watch their coveralls lineup pretty closely.

rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started reading this comic last week and was immediately drawn to this costume. I have another costume that I'm working on first, so I'm not going to start immediately, but I do want to keep an eye on this thread.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back at a couple of my posts, I had asked about the charcoal color webbing from Strapworks.com

Also, today I found a dark charcoal grey cotton twill at Hancock. Also they have a dark grey suiting if thats your preference.

Autotoworkwear.com now has a charcoal grey coverall that can be converted, if it is dark enough.

PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad a conversation has been started concerning this outfit. I have to say though, I like the white flightsuit that Leia wears better than the dark grey/black ones...

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:
For a new Standard we'd need ...

1) A few more reference pics. Right now, we don't see the back views, and the front views differ significantly.

2) We'd have to discuss how we'd blend in existing costume parts (i.e. the flak vest. Every artist draws it differently, so we'd have to discuss going with their versions, or just go with a correct color version of the existing flak vest - be forewarned, this will be a big issue as we're having some serious issues with flak vests coming through the Costume Queue right now.)

3) A comprehensive standard would have to be written - my guess is by taking the existing X-wing standard and making alterations re: colors and details.

4) We'd have to differentiate THIS Stealth X-wing Pilot from the Stealth X-wing Pilots from the novels as they're two different time periods as well as costume details.

I have looked at the images extensively and the vest is nothing like the current X wing vest. it needs to be made from scratch. Also Liea's pockets do not conform to any pocket on the current Rebel suit, that too needs to be made from scratch. the twin red piping needs to be incorporated into the sleeve meaning that you will need to slice the sleeve apart and add the piping or making a panel with the red piping from a second coverall and add the panel over to the top of the sleeve.

Also a number of strips are added to the suit. I have been making those for Imperial flightsuits for a long time so that's no big deal to add.

Something that is annoying me about the suit is the collar. in some views it is a common flip down collar and in others it is mandarin. Mandarin makes the most sense for a sealed flight suit.

DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finished my fantasy Stealth chest box based on the cover art of the comic.

I found a darker paint for the box shell that still has that blueish hue to it, and added a medium gray pinstripe and target dot.

I just posted it up for sale in the Costume part For sale section.

David L.
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great box David, congrats
Member of the RLSC - #7 in the French Base's Corellian Griffons Squadron
French Base M.O. (in association with PLeia)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> EU Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: