About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=92d7b3cd3651c7a70e5be899a5da68e6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Data Cylinders - Revisiting them
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the.rebel.agent (Diego J. Arévalo)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 4 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Data Cylinders - Revisiting them Reply with quote

Originals were made of wood, all of them seems to be different. I do believe they were sloppy doing them or simple they did not care. Small accessory after all. Here you have a great close up of them:

Those very same ones were at the Brazil and Argentina Exhibitions. So I replicated one of them. Modelled it on 3D and now It is ready to print or create a CNC blueprint:

I estimated that the base rode is 3/8" inches. Regretfully, none of the ones offered around here or at the web are screen accurate. Most of them are missing one ring or two. Or they are made of resin or aluminium. I am planning to do them in wood. What do you think?
Puerto Rico Base CO
Puerto Rico Base CO

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting!

Detachment Leader / Former Legion Costume Judge
DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diego,
I appreciate your efforts to get better detail on these items. It's always a great help to see these things more clearly. So Please take my reply as part of a friendly conversation.

You seem to be overly worried about screen accuracy and making everything exactly like the original items, yet you just showed that these pieces are different. Why did you model only one of them? If you really want to be screen accurate, why not model the other one as well, and make/wear both versions of them?

I understand wanting to make your costume accurate, but there is a point at which you just have to stop nit-picking at every little thing. After all it is only a prop. A fantasy item that was made to put a fictional story on film for the purpose of entertainment.

And why would you prefer to make them out of wood instead of some other material?
I can perfectly understand wood being the preference if you are a woodworker and have the lathe, and that's the medium that you are comfortable working in.
However, If you want to bring a fantasy item to life, do you really think that a data cylinder would be made of wood if it were an actual working piece of technology?

It seems to me that all you are interested in doing is making a counterfeit costume that you can pass off as one that was used in the movies. Is that what you are doing? I don't know any other reason why anyone would be so involved in wanting everything to be EXACTLY like what the original costumes were.

I would wager you are one of these guys that would purchase TK armor that was all warped and asymetrical, and crappy looking simply because you think that's how one of them in the movie was. An idealized symetrical TK suit wouldn't be good enough for you....
I've run into lots of guys like that and I really don't understand their reasoning.

I've heard so many of them say that "the chest piece, and this, and that, and the other was warped on the original screen used one so that's what I want!"

I always ask them Why? It's just a movie prop made by people who were only interested in slapping the things together to meet their deadline. For ANH, most of those people didn't even think the movie would amount to anything. They thought it was a total waste of film!

If the Empire were real, do you really think they would produce such substandard armor and gear? I don't think so!

I also have to ask these guys: How much of the warping on that armor is just like the original suit, or is it warped that bad because it's been recast 5000 times over by a bunch of hacks that are too lazy to actually do any real work and produce a quality item?

Diego....
If you want to make them out of wood, then make them out of wood. But In my opinion, making wood parts for a costume doesn't make it look any better than high quality plastic or metal pieces. I personally think that wood pieces detract from the costume. You can usually spot the pieces that are made from wood.

For those who wear their costumes to public events, No one among the public is going to know the difference if some little details are not exactly the same as what's seen in the movies. A costume that is made from better materials, is high quality, and symetrical (where applicable), brings the story to life much more so to the public because the screen used costumes are nothing more than cheap props used to make the movie!

So who are you trying to impress and for what reason?
If you intend to wear this costume in public, Then make it come to life for the public by making it better than the original costume. Make it more like it would really be.
An original movie costume only has value because it's an original movie costume. (And then that value is subjective)
Anything else is just a counterfeit!

David L.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeesh, that post seems a little hostile if you ask me. No need for that. If he wants to make them from wood, what's the big deal? He wouldn't be the first. Sure, I may prefer metal ones, but if someone wants to use wood and paint it silver, more power to them. Does it really matter?

If someone wants to make their outfit exactly how it was made by the customers for a movie, why shouldn't they? So long as it meets the requirements, there's no reason a person can't do this if it makes them happy. There's nothing wrong with trying for "complete accuracy".

Personally, I think those models look pretty impressive.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Legion Council
Legion Council

Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What a friendly conversation! Thanks anyway for your feedback DroidWelder. Really interesting point of view.

You probably noticed that I selected to model only one of the two data cylinder displayed in the BluRay extra. Well, back in SW Identities, they displayed 3 of them. Two of them were short tip, and only one of them was long tip style. So, I went for it.

I will be doing them in wood cause, as the leg flares, were made of wood originally. I have no problem to wear wood props painted like metal, since I wear resin pouches painted to resemble leather. I do not do only costumes, I do replica costumes. I don't live from this, I have a real job, so I don't need to create counterfeit stuff to sell or rip-of someone else. This is just a hobby and I am only trying to impress my self raising the bar every time I pull a new costume. Yes, I do wear costumes, cause this is all about right?

Tonight I am heading to a new place that recently opened here called 3D Lab Cafe. They have some 3D printes. Will try to print a prototype of Cylinder 1. Keep you posted guys.

And BTW, I will share this model to print on Shapeways as I always did with any other model I created FOR FREE. As usual, a pleasure to help fellow RL members around the world. Ben
Legion Council
Legion Council

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to know If your model matches the real thing is to create a prototype. Well, I did it:

Quality is way off shapeways, but given this was just a prototype, I am fine with the final result:

Will have to fit a 3/8" wood rod at the base and paint it silver during the week to finish it. After that, insert it into the arm pocket. Keep you posted guys.

PS: Two cool videos of how they were 3D printed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSK30tU0xs4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBPL2cQVqbo
Legion Council
Legion Council

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update before paint:

And here you can 3D print those models:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1290360/x-wing-pilot-data-cylinders-heads.html?li=my-models&materialId=27

Only you will have to do is insert a 3/8" inches or 9.5mm rod and paint them. I would recommend a 12cm long rod, inserting 1cm inside the head. You can choose from different materials. Hope this helps. We are going to look for a CNC lathe or wood lathe to build them for us. Us means all CDS members doing a Pilot costume.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look good Diego, looking forward to the finished pics.

Legion Council
Legion Council

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you have, they were painted today by Joe Solo from my base during a "Prop Party" we celebrated in his house.

Last week I went to a wood work shop asking for quotes and they just told that the model was very hard to do, and expensive, etc. Long story short, still looking for someone willing to do them the old fashioned way. Keep you posted guys.
Legion Council
Legion Council

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I friend of mime finally commissioned a guy to do them in ALU. Will pick up them next Friday. Keep you posed guys
Chilean Outpost CO
Chilean Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great Wink
Tahiel Jedi Temple Assistant Master
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting to find out what the real world found part for these was.

I'm thinking it was a honey dripper of some sort.

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Legion Council
Legion Council

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUNNY. I will do some research about this. No the honey stuff off course. They may be a found object after all
Legion Council
Legion Council

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tada! First batch sample:

Those were made of aluminium with a solid aluminium rod. Have to do some tweaks at the head but they are 90% ok. Keep you posted guys. In case someone is interested I will be opening a For Sale thread. I have only 20 sets of 3 of them and most of them are already reserved for local members and recruits.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp send
here in Chile are looking for this prop, as in get in another country is very difficult by the walkouts customs service in recent months

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: