About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ac52ee2f70824199d254d6e8914313b1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hoth Rifle Number 2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Weapons of RAID
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KA-513 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Hoth Rifle Number 2? Reply with quote

I was re-watching the Hoth battle sequence over the weekend, mostly looking for reference shots for the Trench Troopers, and I noticed something odd: there's one guy carrying something that falls into the small-arms category, but isn't the A-295/StG-44 rifle, and not a DH-17/Sterling carbine. In fact, it looks suspiciously like a grenade launcher, or something along that lines.

A quick bit of research forced me to drop that idea, since the closest grenade launcher to what's shown is more of an RPG launcher, which LFL would not have been able to get their hands on. Accordingly, I've come up with a few ideas based on what I was able to see from movie stills and behind-the-scenes shots.

Option one: The prop makers took something along the lines of a German-made MP-40 and inserted it into a piece of PVC pipe and added a few greeblies.

Option two: the prop makers took a Sten gun and shoved it in a length of PVC pipe and added a few greeblies.

Of the two, I'm more leaning towards option two, since visually it makes the most sense given the six fuzzy reference images I can find. So far, I'm nicknaming this prop "The Blooper", given the fact that only one ever appears on-screen.

Option 1
option 2

The third possibility is that I'm looking at two completely different props held by the same actor on different days of filming.

Also, if anyone has any other reference images, please feel free to post them in addition to feedback. I pulled the dimensions by sizing the photo in illustrator based on a known dimension(the upper visor of the Hoth hat)

They came to fight for glory in the thousands.
Young men with their dreams.
They died before the guns in the hundreds.
A book of faded pictures, broken dreams.
Where are they now? The broken heroes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MacRican ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather like the idea of option 2 actually. gives me a reason to buy one of those double barreled nerf shotguns and mod it up enough into grenade launcher form. then I could finish the build on my Rebel Vanguard Trooper Wink

Sgt. Rook, RFT
Squad Leader
Rishi Maze Runners-RAID

"Sure would be nice if we had some GRENADES!"
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with that, I'd love to see it! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Weapons of RAID All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: