About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b2cd26e173f52f79d5e414b3711b9a35Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Old Ben WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Kenobi wrote:
I'm not sure your outer robe is going to pass. It needs to be able to be closed in the front. From your pictures it looks like it slopes back to each side at the bottom and is totally open in the front. Other than that it looks good to me.

Paul ˘┐˘

it closes fine. It hangs weird for some reason.
Ben Kenobi (Paul Moomey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navarre1095 wrote:
Ben Kenobi wrote:
I'm not sure your outer robe is going to pass. It needs to be able to be closed in the front. From your pictures it looks like it slopes back to each side at the bottom and is totally open in the front. Other than that it looks good to me.

Paul ˘┐˘

it closes fine. It hangs weird for some reason.

Even if it closes fine - if it hangs weird then it may not pass. It needs to look more like the movie robe which hangs down more in the front. Remember the judges look for accuracy in appearance both in color and design. Based on your pictures it doesn't have the correct appearance from the front.

Paul ˘┐˘
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgtsbr wrote:
actually, here you go:

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=40632.0

Dave

$650-$2500 for a lightsaber? You're frakking kidding right?
lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navarre1095 wrote:

$650-$2500 for a lightsaber? You're frakking kidding right?

No, I'm not kidding. I guess you and I have a difference of opinions when it comes to what we consider acceptable. If you want some semblance of accuracy, I hate to say it, you are going to pay for it. Add in the capability of light and sound and that price goes up exponentially depending on the choices you make.

My static, AFBB, all Roman's Empire parts cost me somewhere in the $400 to $500 range when all was said and done. Was it worth it to me? Yes it was because I wanted exact replica's of the real parts.

Right now, on the RPF, Roman has real Derwent Balance Pipes that were used for the emitter, corrected male ends, for $425 each plus shipping. Can you imagine what the actual correct female ends would go for? I don't even want to guess.......lets not talk about a real grenade, or gear, or even a vintage handwheel..........and that is just for a display piece......

My point is, you said you needed a acceptable lightsaber, I gave you all the info I had/have. You need to make the choice on what you want, I only wanted to help.

Good Luck

Dave
Ben Kenobi (Paul Moomey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I saw on the RPF - Roman was thinking about putting together kits for the ANH saber. Keep an eye out and you might be able to get it for a more "reasonable" amount. I put reasonable in quotes because I don't know what your budget is but your post above indicates it is lower than the $650 lgtsbr noted in his post. These accurate saber hilts are in demand even without the sound and lights. You do need a hilt to hang off your costume as part of the requirements.

I don't know if your homemade hilt would be acceptable but you can always get an opinion from the costume judges? Doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck.

Paul ˘┐˘
Yeo Kero (Charles Wright)
Terrapin Base CO
Terrapin Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could always go to the Custom Saber Shop and assemble it yourself. You'd have to powdercoat a few pieces, and the emitter wouldn't look 100% correct. I made my Ep3 Obi-Wan using them and it's great, even handmade the greebles on the side.

Terrapin Base Commanding Officer
2013 Annapolis Comic Con 1st place costume winner
Lord Warden of the Royal Privies
Piney ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get the hasbro Obi-Wan (ebay has them, $110ish:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Force-FX-Lightsaber-/171098502412
you can mod it pretty easily into something acceptable:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8422/7809241280_aa8b486348.jpg
but while it is technically allowed, it is very fat between the emitter and the body, the real deal is very skinny at that area....

(& That one needs weathering)

Honestly, if you keep doing this , I predict you will end up with something beautiful like the FX linked earlier.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me at GenCon Indy last weekend.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: