Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d03af1bdd73aa1852624c5508dd2ced4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Need help with canon colors - Jedi Temple Guard Pike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GawJa Madal (Jim Gawenis)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Need help with canon colors - Jedi Temple Guard Pike Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I could use some help on figuring the color scheme for making the pike used in CW. I've got the bronze, silver (steel), and brass down, but I'm not sure what to make of the brown in the center grip. Any ideas for making that a viable real-life interpretation? I'm stuck in a brain cramp....

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/7/73/Lightsaber_pike_concept.jpg
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use leather!

Just glue stained leather leather to the central tube.

You can do lots of things to the leather, for ageing effects and such, if you like. Look here for some ideas:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48452

and here:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44773
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger is right, leather would probably be your easiest choice. I'd suggest a thin leather, as in really thin. I'd probably say 3/4 oz (about 1/16"). I'd use Tandy Eco Flo Java Brown or Dark Mahogany for the color. If you are going for leather, don't round the ends, but taper them. Also, wet it and make those little detail horizontal lines in it down its length before you dye it. Don't cut it, just impress it (as in press the lines into it).

A good place for thin leather straps is HERE. Just measure how much you will need and select the appropriate length. Once you do that, you can select the thickness

Either that, or you could carefully carve the shape into the tube (if you are using PVC). That would get the horizontal details onto the saber. It would be VERY tedious. But the leather would probably look better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gentlemen. I don't mind tedious-I've already gone through two mask fails for this costume (I'll explain later in a WIP posting). I like the idea of tooling the leather. I'm building it with two sizes of sink tubing, but that explanation is for another day. Cool
-Jim
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're making it out of metal, you can bake oil onto it and get a nice brown color. Here's a tutorial: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=11398.0

and one with pictures: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=1964.0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: