Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4677d8a49bc05caa21870b43cf979583Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

I JUST SCORED A GRAFLEX!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: I JUST SCORED A GRAFLEX!!!! Reply with quote

Holy balls, I just scored a Graflex on ebay! Like, a REAL Graflex!!!

Crap, now I have no idea where to start, to turn this sucker into a Luke ESB saber. Currently researching on FX-Sabers.

Am thinking Cyan Rebel Star LED and a Nano-Biscotte card, though I may grab a Force FX card just for movie-accurate sounds. I have a Vader one, but would like to get a Jedi one if I go that route.

Blast-Tech.com seems to have the hilt parts I'd need and TCSS has an LED adapter and red button thumb screw...

Has anyone tried this out? From the looks of it, it doesn't look like too tough of a job.

I'm excited.

Except this means I may have to tackle my first face character: ESB Luke, since I'll have both the blaster and the saber...

"A Jedi knight!? Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!"
The Sugar Jedi formerly known as The Grey Elf
KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dacen Salu

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on the saber score. i would get in touch with some of the
saber smiths over on FX sabers, see what they could do. all of my sabers
are custom pieces. one of them (AOTC Obi) has the Nano in it and its
pretty sweet. i have seen some of the graflex pieces with crystal focus
sound board and they are awesome. it's all up to what you want to have
done to it. good luck.

The Force fights WITH me!!!
jin starkiller ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a graflex here recently and it is not that hard to do. You just need to plan on what you want to do with it. What type of LED, soundboard, you gonna do a crystal chamber or a chassis reveal.

Plan it from start to finish it all depends on your WOW factor of what you want in the saber

Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."Master Yoda"
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome find! If I may ask, what did you end up paying for it?

It's always great to find original parts. I've been slowly piecing together a bowcaster from original parts. Really fun.
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jin starkiller wrote:
I have done a graflex here recently and it is not that hard to do. You just need to plan on what you want to do with it. What type of LED, soundboard, you gonna do a crystal chamber or a chassis reveal.

Plan it from start to finish it all depends on your WOW factor of what you want in the saber

Yeah, I'm not going all-in with the crystal chamber stuff. I just want to have an original Graflex Luke ESB saber. PC boards are too pricey. I'm looking at a NB board and probably a Rebel Star Cyan LED.

It seems my biggest issue is going to be getting the hilt parts (for which I'll probably go through blast-tech) and installing the electronics (TCSS has an LED adapter and blade holder in stock). Then I just need to learn how to disassemble it so I can put the stuff inside.

Gotwookiee wrote:
Awesome find! If I may ask, what did you end up paying for it?

It's always great to find original parts. I've been slowly piecing together a bowcaster from original parts. Really fun.

$80, which for an original Graflex ain't too bad. I totally didn't plan on winning it. I threw in a bid in the last 10 minutes just to see what would happen and voila. I'm the proud owner.

"A Jedi knight!? Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!"
KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kwills (Kimberly Wills-Starin)
Blue Ridge Base XO
Blue Ridge Base XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats and have fun with it Very Happy I watch Graflexes every so often, and typically give up because they tend to soar over $120 or so, last time I looked anyway
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed--I was shocked to be able to score this for that low a price!

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple things to worry about on the vintage piece:

1 - the rivet holding in the rabbit ears can be a royal pain, be careful with it so you don't damage the flash. The rabbit ears, to my knowledge, have to come off in order to get the bulb holder out
2 - the brass pins have to come out. go to the graflex shop and get a pin tool, you will thank yourself later I promise
3 - the slide switch on the side will probably break off as you try to remove the bulb holder
4 - be gentle with the flash if you plan to clean it. The originals were nickel plated over brass, you scrub too much and the brass will show through

As far as conversion pieces, I have used Blast-Tech on numerous occasions, John is a great person to deal with. From a accuracy standpoint, Parks makes a more accurate Kobold piece for the end of the saber.

Good Luck on the conversion, be sure to take before and after pictures of the flash. I have a vintage ESB Graflex myself and it is by far the prize piece in my collection.

Dave
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, Dave! These will be a huge help!

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graflex arrived today, and I know why it was so cheap.

It's a 2-cell, not a 3-cell.

Which means that the bottom end is really short. Like, Yoda short.

However, I am thinking that I can jury rig an extension that will be invisible with a few parts from TCSS, and possibly some chrome tape and JB Weld.

Already got it disassembled and the guts removed. Was very easy to do. Looking forward to diving in!

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scored a 3-cell bottom end! Next weds will be ordering hilt parts. Electronics hopefully later in August!

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilt work 95% complete. Need to affix the D-Ring and the fasteners on the grips.

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I ordered the electronics from TCSS.

This is so close to being done I can taste it. Another dream come true!!!

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT WORKS!!!

My phone is charging atm, so pics tomorrrow.

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Koda Vonnor (BillCostigan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugar Jedi wrote:
...pics tomorrrow.

is it tomorrow yet?...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: