Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b9e7a582c1e23077920cbff13564a07aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

The reincarnation of Jek Porkins - X-wing pilot wip!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaryn Xur (John Shrout)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responses guys!

Although it sucks that I can't use it, I understand each of the points that everyone made. Oh well, at least I can use it for some reference, with the corrected details, to make a new one. I guess now, this one is just an expensive reference piece.

Oh well, live and learn!

Thanks again!
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for understanding John, (and taking it so well - that doesn't always happen, and we appreciate it.)

Very Happy

Jaryn Xur (John Shrout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon: Not much I can do about it, so why throw a fit, like some do?

It's just another point in a list of things I've learned the hard way. Did the same thing with my Tie Pilot. Bought a Rubies Tie helmet before discovering the Tie Pilot detachment forums. Thank god I was able to sell it to someone that wanted to custom paint it for certain non-canon troops.

Don't think I will have that luck with the vest, since it wouldn't be approvable for anyone to use. But that's what I get for rushing ahead and trying to save some time. Wish my wife was as understanding as I am. She's mad about the wasted money. LOL

Too many things to mod to make this correct, so it will just be easier to make a new one. Hopefully, I can salvage some of the materials from this one. Smile
Jaryn Xur (John Shrout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a good note: I will be getting a helmet kit from darthhair. We have several people in my garrison/base that are or will be working on x-wing pilots, or upgrading their current pilot costume. darthhair was nice enough to give the 4 of us a nice package deal for 4 of his helmet kits.

Our garrison XO was going to be ordering the kits today, so I should have mine in my hands here sometime soon. Look forward to building it, but am a little weary about it, as I have never built any armor parts. My Tie Pilot helmet and armor came ready to wear right out of the box. The only thing I had to do was attach the shoulder straps the chest and back armor.

But, I have watched all 3 of Jeff's helmet build videos, and I think with those videos, and a whole lot of patience, I can do it, or get help doing it.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never built any armor before, but the past couple weeks I've been putting together a set of Jedi General gauntlets, so I know what you mean.

Any kind of armor parts can be daunting, but ask questions and I'm sure you'll be able to get help. Also, more than likely your base will have occasional armor parties, so you could always go to one and someone would probably help you put it together.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jaryn Xur (John Shrout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very small update: I finally received my compad in the mail today.

No other current progress as the focus is on finishing my Jedi.

But, X-winger is next!!
Jaryn Xur (John Shrout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update, but still not actual progress. LOL

I have finished my generic Jedi, which was formally approved last Monday. So, I am finally a formal member of the Rebel Legion. Very Happy

Now on to my x-wing build. Acquired some 2" webbing to make my leg flare holder from. Will be following the tutorial when the time comes. I also picked up my Darthhair helmet kit from my Garrison XO yesterday. So, here is where I stand at this point material and parts wise.

Helmet: Darthhair kit acquired, needs construction. Came with standard decals. Still need to purchase "Porkins" specific ones.

Flight suit: 2 pair of orange coveralls. 1 for suit, 1 for pocket material. Attempting to motivate my live in seamstress to begin working on this.

Gloves: Gauntlet gloves from my Tie Pilot costume.

Boots: Same boots as my Tie Pilot and Jedi costumes.

Leg flare holder: Roll of 2" wide black webbing, and several Tandy belt clips.

Belt and ejection harness: Roll of 2" wide silver/grey webbing.

Roll pin belt buckle: Ordered from UK eBay seller referenced in several threads on these forums. Should arrive early next week.

Leg and mini flares: Strongly considering making them to save money. No materials purchased yet.

Chest box: Acquired from a Legion friend.

Flak vest: Have a line on one that is approvable. Need to get in touch with contact.

Com pad: Acquired from Hoffa.

I think that pretty much covers everything. I have a troop on Friday, but will probably begin working on the helmet this weekend.

Will post photos as I progress.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like things are coming along.

One thing, though... The leg flare holder isn't usually made of webbing, it's usually made out of an olive green material. I'm not sure what kind of material exactly, but the whole thing isn't usually made of webbing.

Edit: Nevermind. The guide says webbing. Hmm...

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jaryn Xur (John Shrout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another small update with no real progress.

Well, I have managed to put off starting this for another couple of weeks.

Last week was just pure lazyness. LOL

Week before I was busy trooping Gen Con Indy in my Jedi, and my Tie Pilot.

This week is spent getting ready to leave for Dragon Con on Wednesday.

So, my plan is, after I return from Dragon Con, to start working on the parts of this costume that I can do.

I did pick up some 7/8" wood dowels to cut my leg flares out of.

I want to do the belt flares too. What is the general length and diameter of the belt flares?

Still need to acquire the right glue to build my helmet, and also get the "Porkins" decals for it.

That's all for now. Hope to see some of you at Dragon Con! I'll either be in my Jedi, Reserve Tie Pilot(no armor, no helmet), or a surprise costume that references one of my favorite 80's movies. You'll know it when you see it. I'm not giving any spoilers or clues about it.

Later!!
Jaryn Xur (John Shrout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post Dragon Con update...

Still making very slow progress on this build. Main reason is that my better half is the one with the sewing skills. Her exact words to me were, "I get to finish a costume before I work on another one for you!" LOL

So, flight suit will have to wait till she finishes sewing her Jedi.

I need to take some photos, but I did manage to make my leg flares. Just finished up the last 2 yesterday evening. So, I have 8 leg flares ready to go when we get around to making the leg flare holder. She did manage to find a good sized roll of 4" wide black webbing at her work that was NOI, so she brought that home to use for the leg flare holder.

I am working on the belt flares now. Found a package of 8 wooden dowels about the right size at Lowe's. Unfortunately, they have little ribs all the way around them. Filled the area between the ribs as best I could with some wood filler. Currently have 3 of them being primered. Between the wood filler and each additional coat of primer I apply, the ribs are disappearing as the area between is filled with coats of primer. Gonna shoot some silver on them tomorrow. Still have 5 more to shoot primer on.

Acquired a flak vest that meets the costume standards with a few minor adjustments. Need to replace the buckle on the back of the vest. I have a few like the ones Kay_Dee was selling a few years ago. They came with my Tie Pilot armor. Also, need to replace the side strap buckles with the correct insertion locks.

So, I have a few things that I can work on till my live-in seamstress can start on my flight suit. Plus, I have a non-SW costume that I have been working on acquiring all the pieces for to keep me busy lately. That costume will be mainly for next years Dragon Con. X-wing helmet will be last to be completed. But once done, I will have all 3 of the required items for formal approval even though I only need 1.

That's all for now. Will post photos of the Leg Flares as soon as I take some.
Jaryn Xur (John Shrout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, hard to believe it's been since October since I posted anything here. Things have been crazy around here. I picked the wrong winter to go to work for the state hwy dept. as a seasonal snow plow driver. Lots of long days plowing away the tons of snow we got this winter. Unfortunately, they let us seasonals go a bit early, so I am back on the job hunt again. But, I have lots of free time to work on costumes.

This costume is still pretty much in the same state as when I last posted. But, my live-in seamstress just got her Generic Jedi approved, so finally the sewing will start soon on this as I hope to wear this one of the 5 days at Dragon Con this year, and hopefully a troop or 2 before that.

All materials/supplies have been acquired with the last being a set of x-tools from Elvistrooper. My Darthhair helmet kit was sent off to 501st buddy of mine that has put together a handful of these kits for some of his garrison/bases members. Maybe someday I will tackle assembling a helmet kit, but I was just too intimidated by this one to do it myself.

So, once I have the constructed helmet back here shortly, I will be tasked with painting the Porkins specific design on it, and then applying all the other decals.

Think I will attempt to work on some of the easier components this coming weekend. With any luck I can get the belt, leg flare holder, and maybe the ejection harness done.

Now that I have the time, I really need to buckle down and get this costume complete. Only a little over 5 months till Dragon Con, and I don't want to put this off any longer.

Thanks for reading my long drawn out lack of an update. LOL
huttkiller55 (jeff denbow)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: porkins helmet Reply with quote

Check the prop sale forums for your helmet decals.,I'm pretty sure there's a couple guys that offer them.
Jaryn Xur (John Shrout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually made some progress this weekend!! Woohoo!!!

Saturday after helping my better half and fellow Jedi Knight "Tiggie" so some organizing in our storage room(actually a 1 car attached garage), I pulled out my tote with all my x-wing components.

Luckily, Tiggie works for a small manufacturing company that uses polyurethane webbing in the products they make. So, she had brought me home some 2" and 4" wide black webbing that they didn't need. Took a measurement of the circumference of one of my boots to determine how big around I needed to make my leg flare holder.

Once I had the boot measurement, I transferred that to the webbing and cut out the required length. Got out the sewing machine and added velcro to each end. After that, I took one of my leg flares and determined where the first pocket should be. Marked this on the webbing with a white fabric pencil, then sewed across the marked line. Here's the result so far.

Now, I just have seven more of these to do. Made a trip to the hardware store today, and bought some upholstery tacks to hammer through the back of the strap and into the leg flares to hold them in place. Also picked up some rivets, so that I can add belt clips to the flare holder, and then attach to my boot to keep the whole thing from falling down while trooping.

Next on the agenda after I finish this is the belt. The last 2 of my belt flares are hanging in the back garage/workshop with the matte clear coat drying on them. My roll pin belt buckle has a brass finish on it, but I saw in another post that someone was able to remove the brass finish and have a silver buckle left behind using Easy-Off oven cleaner, so I picked up a can of it the other day from Walmart.

So, I am finally making some progress on this build after putting it off for so long. Hopefully, I will hear something about my helmet fairly soon. Only got a little over 4 months to get this costume done before Dragon Con, and would like to get it approved and troop in it once or twice before that.

Thanks for looking!
Jaryn Xur (John Shrout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally have something complete for this costume. My leg flare holder and flares are done.

I am so glad to actually have at least one component complete for this costume. Gives much needed motivation to keep going and work on something else. Belt flares are done being painted. Now to work on the belt and roll pin buckle next.
Jaryn Xur (John Shrout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work has finally commenced on my flight suit. My better half, Tiggie, broke out the seam ripper last night and started removing the pockets from the first pair of coveralls.

This is all slowly starting to come together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: