About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=63e329f852cd3e3c41aaacd88f323743Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Transporting Sabers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrisAntilles (Amanda Burk)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Transporting Sabers Reply with quote

So how do all you Jedi transport your lightsabers when you head out to a troop? What do you carry them in to keep them from getting damaged in the shuffle?

Just curious if anyone has any handy ideas, since they are kind of long and awkward to cart around when you're packing all your gear to your location.

Right now I'm just carting mine around in the box and styrofoam it came in. But it's a little awkward to carry with the duffle bag and garmet bag containing the rest of my gear.

Anyone have any great ideas to share?

I like the rolling tote idea, though getting one big enough to fit the saber blade in safely, is probably bigger than what I really need right now to haul Jedi garb around in. lol!
Ben Kenobi (Paul Moomey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a rather newbie to trooping with my Ben Kenobi costume I have just kept it local so I usually drive. I either put my FX in the back padded by a blanket or in the back seat on the floor.

If you are talking about flying - I have no idea. I would be afraid of baggage handling if it was just in the styrofoam lined box it came in. I don't think they would let you bring it on board so the flight attendants could secure it somewhere to avoid the destruction derby in baggage handling.

On a related subject - I have been thinking about taking my costume to San Diego (only my hilt saber not the FX). I don't want to put it in my baggage for fear it would disappear, and I am afraid TSA would try to confiscate it when I try to board the plane thus skuttling my trip. One solution is to ship it to someone I know in the San Diego area and then arrange to meet to pick it up. I would also be interested in the experience of others when flying.

I thought this would be along the same lines as your topic. If not I apologize for sidetracking it.

Paul ˘┐˘
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mainly mean while driving. And if your event has a staging area to get ready in, hauling everything from vehicle to staging area and back again.

Right now, mine rides nicely behind the seat of my truck in the box (though I'm sure the box will eventually wear out getting lugged around). When I go to events I'm usually by myself, so I'm my own pack mule to haul everything around at the event. lol.

So was just curious if anyone had any ingenious ideas.

Hmmm...no idea on the flying thing. But if anyone has ideas, chime in!
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I were looking at making a carrying case for sabers that we're looking to sell. Pleather covered PVC in a triangular design with padding and soft fleece inside. Big enough to fit three hilts and at least four blades. It will include a locking hasp to bring it into TSA guidelines for travel.

I'm still designing it, but the idea is better than what I currently do (shove the sabers in a PVC tube with capped ends).
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a martial arts weapon case, easy to carry around on public transport and fits my saber with the blade attached. Very Happy

Going to CE2 i'll just be packing my hilt in my suitcase along with a picture of my saber and costume.

Member of:
- Rebel Legion - Elstree Base
- Mandalorian Mercs - Vok'Chi Clan
- 501st - UK Garrison
AdamScottFM (Erich Shafer)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of members have luck with locking rifle cases.

"Do they teach you to throw?"
"No, they teach us to cheat!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deadpool ()

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamScottFM wrote:
I've seen a lot of members have luck with locking rifle cases.

Yup I have been using one from the beginning.
Master Vos (Tim)
Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this from my local camping store Ray's Outdoors. Its a fishing rod hard case. Its great to transport both lightsaber and banners. Its made from a hard cardboard shell with padding and end. Its cost between $15-20.

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
Jolly ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I use work for me. Some Jedi's will have a different matter of opinions on this subject. In the end, it will be totally up to you.

I've used engineering blueprint tubes to laptop carrying case for my hilts.
They work.
I've clowned for years so I have an abundance of super long clown socks. They are perfect for keeping your hilt from getting scratched and excellent for shock absorption.

When I travel by vehicle, I use the blueprint tubes with the hilts attached. I can put both sabers in the tube.

When flying, I also use the tube. I've flown from Michigan to Georgia to Florida to California with my tube resting in the upper luggage compartment. I NEVER put my sabers in the suitcase and let the baggage crew throw my sh*t around. (sorry!). My hilts are custom made. Therefore, when I walk on that plane, they are by my side.

Never had a problem with security at the airports. Before going through securiity, I take them out of the tube and hand them to the folks in charge. I turn them on . . . and security becomes a Jedi! From my experiences, I'd rather get to the airport early because I know the curious seekers will want to play with my sabers. Personally, I do not mind. A lot of folks know the movies. Seeing the magic when touching a light saber is remarkable.

Again, these are my experiences. Someone else will tell you different.

"In the heart of every Jedi, is an inner peace . . ."

Jedi Knight Zhar Tah-Jot
Republic Commando - Fixer (Four-Oh)
Willrow Hood (Ice Cream Maker Guy, [ICMG])

" . . . it takes many Jedi to undo the mistakes of one."
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Jolly! I'm open to hearing any and all suggestions, because others will think of things I won't, so I'm all for sharing the knowledge. Very Happy Lots of great ideas so far!!!

I toyed with the idea of a rifle case, but figured people would think I was crazy.....guess I'm not! Laughing lol! My husband thought I was absolutely off my rocker when I hauled one of his out to see if my saber would fit...... Razz

I never ever would have even thought of a fishing pole hard case! That's brilliant, and could be perfect for my single saber! And is that a shoulder strap on there? Even better! Might have to check that out!!

And even thought I don't really fly much, this is definitely good information for others that do! Wink
Master Vos (Tim)
Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the fishing hard case I can fit one standard FX lightsaber and Yoda's fx lightsaber, unfortunately two will not fit.

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time I'm driving to an event I separate my hilts from the blades (all customs).

For the blades I have a bokken/practice katana bag that will hold five blades in it. I used to put hilts in there with less blades, but they get dinged up after a while.

For the hilts I have a hard pistol case that is designed for two pistols. I can hold up to six sabers at a time in there. I also have a small single gun case that holds a 10-12" saber diagonally in the case if I just need one.

When traveling by plane I've shipped them out ahead to a friend, took them in my carry-on (no blades), and put them in my checked bag. When I did have them in my checked bag I made sure TSA scanned the bag while I was there and tag it so they wouldn't go fooling around with my bag later.

501st - IC8294
70th Explorers Commanding Officer
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I decided to go the fishing rod hard case route for now, since I only have one saber. However, the shoulder strap does expand to allow you to strap two cases together, so if I eventually go the dual sabers route, I'll get another case. lol!

Grabbed some scrap fabric and made a lycra pouch for my saber, and a little roll up pouch to hold screw driver, extra batteries, end cap, covertec clip, etc, that rolls up and fits perfectly in the little extra length at the end of the tube that my saber doesn't fill. Perfect solution! lol!

Ben Kenobi (Paul Moomey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideas - thanks for bringing up this topic Amanda.

Paul ˘┐˘
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

being a member of the new york jedi and Saber Guild , sometimes i am brinign 6 sabers with me depending on what we are doing .. .so I have a sword bag you can get trhough any martial arts supply store....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: