Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=52d6e84552f3e8b191ede8fa7aa6f81eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tenel Ka question

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hexterah (Heather)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Tenel Ka question Reply with quote

Hello! I'm currently working on a set of Jedi robes as well as fixing up a Tenel Ka costume I made in the past to hopefully submit here to the RL! I saw that this Tenel Ka costume had been accepted and I was reading the thread that Lady Jedi Carenix made with the same questions I have. It's been a few years since then, so I wanted to make sure I asked them before submitting the costume!

Here are the three images of the costume - but like the thread LJC stated, they are only from the waist up.

http://www.echuta.net/tk/visuals/gallery07.jpg (Legacy of the Force: Tempest cover)
http://www.echuta.net/tk/visuals/gallery10.jpg (portrait in The Essential Guide to the Force)
http://www.echuta.net/tk/visuals/gallery11.jpg (portrait in The Essential Atlas)

With this costume originally, I had black boots and black pants, along with a set of gray chiffon waistcapes - I had the waistcapes to keep it sort of regal (since she is the Queen Mother of Hapes at this point), but kept pants so that she would still be able to fight in it, if the need showed itself. I also have the top, scaled sleeves and rancor tooth lightsaber (as well as the necklace she has on the Tempest cover).

I'm wondering though, what could/should I do to the costume to make it one that I could submit for a NR Jedi Face Character? Or could I submit this particular costume as is?

Thank you very much! Very Happy
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...and I'm just thinking out loud here:

Since the reference pictures are only mid belly up, it's really impossible to create a complete costume for this character (even if other characters from the era are used as "inspiration" for the lower parts of the costume). I did a quick google search for the character and didn't find any better reference pics than you've already supplied.

So...while there are three reference pics, it is my opinion that they aren't adquate to make a whole costume. Because of this, I believe that such a costume, if approved, would need to have an "informal" status.

And, not to take anything away from the member that has already been approve with this costume, I would also believe that, were she to apply with this costume today, she would likely get a denial (I, personally, think the colors are incorrect and the scale pattern on the sleeves doesn't look right, to me) or, like I said, an informal status due to a lack of full body reference images.

I don't want to discourage anyone from making any costume for the Rebel Legion, but considering this will be a really difficult costume to make (with a lack of adeauate full body images) and that an informal status would be necessary, it might be better to put one's efforts into a different costume (especially if the desire here is to have a formal costume...which is necessary for your first costume with the Rebel Legion). Please remember, that just becaus something was appoved before doesn't meant that it would be approved today. The LMO, LCJ and Costume Standards Committee change over time, as do their opinions on what costumes should be approved for the Rebel Legion.

If you are adamant on making this costume for the Rebel Legion, I would definiltely ask some of the Jedi LCJs for their opinion.

Sorry to be somewhat negative on this costume.

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base

Last edited by SithariRog (Roger Allen) on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
RavenApprentice (Angel Martinez)
Legion CO
Legion CO

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all from the images provided is a cool costume!!!!

But I have a question for you: do you have any full body reference photo?

Former Puerto Rico BCO | KJO XO | Wretched Hive XO | Legion Costume Judge | Legion Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Good Hunting"—Star Wars Insider 142

Lost Ones

Colored version of The Essential Guide to Characters image found in Star Wars Encyclopedia

It appears from the first two pictures (From "Good Hunting" in Star Wars Insider 142, that she is wearing a similar arm armor to the one in the pictures that you show. She is also wearing a set of shoulder armor that is identical to that in the lower pictures.

So, with the two pictures on the top, it would appear that there is consistency within the art of the costume to suggest that she wears rolled up pants and scale boots of some kind. The fact that the sleeve, earrings, and some other elements are identical between all pictures leads me to infer that the suit she is wearing is a bodysuit style. She should wear a cloth belt with a purse attached and calf-high boots with a scale style. I would also suggest that you make the scale shoulder armor to finish the costume so it can be considered a formal costume.

Hope this helps.
Legion CO
Legion CO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The images from SW insider won't count as a reference, now the one in the encyclopedia can be used, if you decide to use this you need the photo reference, cover of book, and page it appears to add it to your costume application.

Looks a great costume! Good luck!!! Ben

Former Puerto Rico BCO | KJO XO | Wretched Hive XO | Legion Costume Judge | Legion Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*raises hand*

Why wouldn't the Star Wars Insider art be considered as a reference? It is a LFL sanctioned artwork.

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
Legion CO
Legion CO

Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the references need to be LFL licensed sources for the character/costume that clearly depict the character in detail and from head to toe in order for it to be considered Formal.

I would say the 3rd choice should be the enciclopedia. The other images can help with the concept...

Skywalker2B ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the Insider considered LFL licensed material? Here's what the wook has for the artist:

Joe Corroney is an illustrator who has provided Lucasfilm Ltd. with official Star Wars artwork for related books, games, trading cards and magazines since 1996. He has also penciled Star Wars: Empire for Dark Horse Comics... http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Joe_Corroney

The Insider is the Official SW magazine, which commissioned the artwork from an artist that has previously provided LFL with SW artwork. Why wouldn't it be able to be used for RL?

Steve M.
(unofficially Corran Horn)
Legion CO
Legion CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexterah if you have any questions consult with the Jedi LCJ's or the LMO

Good Luck on this adventure!

Ben

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: