About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9ea0c34396b47b803eb30c841d9ba481Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

The A-wing/B-wing Pilot Arm Pocket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Overlapping Costume Bits
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: The A-wing/B-wing Pilot Arm Pocket Reply with quote

It's been a little while so I thought I'd give this another go, and see if we can't figure something out about this strange pocket that appears in the Star Wars Character Encyclopedia on the A-wing pilot as well as Ten Numb and Nien Nunb (and the white pre-production flightsuit pictures). If the pocket exists on the movie-used costumes as well, I'd assume that the pocket would also appear on the Y-wing pilot coveralls (if it's on the A-wing and B-wing pilot coveralls), but I can't say that with any certainty.

Anyhow, the pocket I'm referring to is the one shown below. It's most clearly visible on the A-wing pilot...

But as I mentioned, you can also see it on Nien Nunb and Ten Numb (you have to zoom in a lot to see them)...

The pocket is also visible on the pre-production pictures of Ten Numb in the white flightsuit... Though, granted, the pictures in the SWCE are just the pre-production pictures with the flightsuit Photoshopped red...

The pocket might also appear on the A-wing pilot flightsuit from JedHead's picture, but I can't tell for certain...

I've been staring at the pictures for quite some time trying to figure out what exactly the pocket looks like and what kind of pocket it is. That, and I've been trying to figure out if it even appears on the flightsuits used in Return of the Jedi or if it only appears in pre-production pictures... Though the latter is, of course, relatively impossible to figure out. It's obviously not a code cylinder/rank cylinder pocket but beyond that I can't tell anything.

Does anyone have any idea as to what this make might be exactly?

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, to be honest:
I always thought (and still think) that ALL rebel pilot overalls have the same code cylinder pocket on the left upper arm.

Why?
If there are not enought pics that clearly show the opposite I prefer to simplify things! That makes it easier for those creating a costume AND brings a more common look to the "flying personal"...

I don´t like to stick to the Character Encyclopedia as there are so many pics that clearly are photoshopped, not to forget that this is a "childrens book"...
And the existing exhibition pics show a lot of "strange" equipment combinations...

So, I try to keep it "simple & stupid" and say:
All rebel pilots have the same code cylinder pockets. Razz
But thats just my point of view...
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And indeed they may have the code cylinder pockets... But because the outfits clearly don't have commpad pockets, it does make me wonder...

Not to mention that all of these weren't made to have a lot of screen time, they were all just background characters so I can't see the customers putting a lot of time and effort into adding all the pockets and what-not to the flightsuits that people aren't even going to see... So it makes me wonder if that "strange pocket" is something that is already on the flightsuits when they were purchased? Or did the costumers themselves add it?

What's more, there could be a lot of variation, I suppose. Some flightsuits could have had this "strange pocket", some could have had the code cylinder pocket, others may not have had any at all.

I just wish I knew for certain...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish I knew for certain...

HeHe, I don´t know you "face to face", but yes - THIS is you!

You make me thinking of a bloodhound - once you have a track, you have to find the source! (I hope you understand what I mean! Razz )
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're not the first person to say something like that. Laughing

What can I say? I'm a perfectionist. I have a habit of trying to make things "perfect" to the point of driving myself crazy. And not to mention that I love anything that has to do with a B-wing, so that makes it even worse. Heh heh.

Though I have sworn to myself that once I finish the third version of my B-wing pilot outfit, aside from very minor changes or paint touch-ups, that's it, no more major changes. Honestly, I'm getting a little tired of working on it and making new, big things for it. >>;;

But the coveralls are something I've wanted to change for a while. I'm not fond of the pink tint they have, and they're a little too big for me now after I've lost some weight, anyway. I thought I'd try to figure out the pockets-- thought I might as well if I'm going to be getting a new pair of coveralls/flightsuit.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I wonder if the pocket could be something like one of these...?

Really big image: http://www.defense.gov/DODCMSShare/NewsStoryPhoto/2007-09/hrs_070904-F-0193C-007.JPG

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Overlapping Costume Bits All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: