About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0db270a492b0e0bc1338b2bf6bbeae95Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

looking for WIP pics for feet(w/stitls)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: looking for WIP pics for feet(w/stitls) Reply with quote

hey everyone... so I am starting the feet..

I am curious as to what others have done with theirs. (w/stilts)

I started playing around with mine...
they are a little too big and just dont seem right to me.. think I might start over..

does anyone have any WIP pics of theirs?
looking for ideas

did some of you punch the hair right into the foam?
did you wrap the whole thing in mesh?
kinda confused on how to continue here...

these are mine for now..
trying to avoid some of the sunken leg look
its all just temporary.. trying to get a feel for it..

CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feet progress starts on the 5th page of my build thread:
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42135&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

Mine started like yours... Too long. I also trimmed the length down and it worked for me. I wrapped the stilt in styrofoam from Home Depo and black duct tape. I latch hooked a few rows of hair around the base of the foot to keep it covered.
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you! your build thread is helping alot.

what is under the black tape?

and is everything taped together under the hair? the toes, foot(foam) up to stilts?

when you walk, dosnt the foam want to break?
I am afraid when I step it will bend the foam and toes too far and start to come apart..

if you have time, if not no worries... do you have a picture of the bottom of the foot? I am curios how that worked for you..

thank you so much for the reply! these pics alone really help

CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crix wrote:
what is under the black tape?

I bought a $16 foam pad like this one and wrapped it around the stilt leg, using black duct tape to hold it together:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Morning-Glory-Foam-Sheet-24-L-x-96-W-x-1-H/19397512

Crix wrote:
and is everything taped together under the hair? the toes, foot(foam) up to stilts?

The stilt foot sits inside the styrofoam foot. I coated the styrofoam with rubber latex to hopefully keep it a bit more waterproof and to keep it from breaking apart. With the stilt foot in the foam, I added more foam on top of the flat stilt foot and poured in some glue that is foam friendly (gorilla glue) to help seal it. I then, grabbed a bit of mesh and latch hooked a few rows of hair and attached that with duct tape around the base of the leg to help cover the foam foot. I also added a cut up rubber welcome mat under the entire foot to help add grip. This is also glued on using gorilla glue.

Crix wrote:
when you walk, dosnt the foam want to break?

The stilt only ever puts pressure on the ground and not the foam, since the foam is only around the stilt, not under it. So far, no problems whatsoever. I am keeping my eye on it though. : )

The only issue I've had walking was I almost tripped over something stuck on the floor last weekend and the hair on my pants got pulled down a bit too much at All-Con and the hair was getting stepped on as I walked, creating a bit of trouble for me to walk.

I will have to see if I can dig up some pics of the feet - or take some. : )
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote this up for the wookiee workshop FB page. Its how I built my stilts and feet. the addition of toes and such is not on this, but its a start to getting things rolling. I just tape the toes on its quite easy and durable. I ran around in these and move quite well. I dont do stairs well in this, but I dont do them well in regular stilts either. could just be me though. If it helps you great, if not no worries.

Tools Needed -

Power drill with drill bit case and 3/4" or 1" drill bit or hole cutter.
2 small wrenches
Dremmel with metal cutting wheels and plastic cutting wheels
Power sander 60 grit and 220 grit.
Super glue.

First draw a line at the height that you are going to stand at. I recommend 12" of height for anyone around the 6 foot range. When all is said and done this will add 14 inches to your standing height. You measure from the foot pad down.

Next drill out the leg support holes in the foot supports. This will be for later when you are attaching the shin support rods. A 3/4" bit should be enough if you are using a round support rod. If you are going to use a square support, you will need a 1" drill bit. I used a 1" bit and square supports for this build

Cut the lower support off along the line that you drew

Sand the areas clean of all burring.

Slide the lower piece back over the top and bring it level to the bottom.
secure using clamps. Drill a 1/4" hole into the "corners" of the stilts to rebind the stilts together.

Bolt the stilts together using the 1 inch bolts. all bolt heads should be on the inside of the stilt. The excess bolt threading will be cut off after all is assembled.

Through the lower support hole that is now covered with the inner stilt part, drill using a 5/16" bit into the area on all four holes.

Next using your 5/16" threaded rod, cut into three equal pieces. You will need three rods to do both stilts. May as well cut them all now.

Pass the rod in and set a washer and a nut on thread them down the rod and then add a nut and a washer. Continue to thread them through until you reach the end of the stilt. this creates an internal structure of support.

You will repeat this process three more times giving good even spacing. On the outer side add a washer and a nut to lock in the supports.

At this point you can cut off any access threading and ensure the bolts are locked down tightly. I even take an extra step and super glue the nuts to the threads and washers. With a good amount of force, this can be undone, but ideally you should never have too.

Next insert the leg supports into the holes you drilled earlier. Clamp down at the bottom.

Using a 1/4inch drill bit. Drill a hole through the bucket into and through the support.

Bolt the leg the the bucket . Three evenly spaced bolts will be more than enough to keep it rigid.

You will see once you have the supports in place they bow into each other.

Make a mark about 8 inches from the foot pad up the supports. Drill a ____
hole through the support to put a separation rod in. The threaded rod will be inserted and set up the same way as the supports in the stilt. by slowly turning the nuts opposite to each other it will open up the supports.

Step into the supports and mark where they fall 2 inches below the knee. Mark this area and cut off the excess supports.

Sand the tops smooth to prevent any cuts to you.

This is the basic set up to get the stilts to a height specific and rigid state.

I have been as heavy as 240 pounds and these have supported me and I have not had any issues.

Costs are as follows.

82 dollars for stilts ( I bought with another wookiee so costs were a little less than normal)

36 dollars in leg support rods

32 dollars in hardware.

150 total dollars for the stilts.

I will share in another post how to dress the foot, with a shin pad spacer, foam foot pad to cushion walking sounds.

Cost for the remainder of pieces

Shoes - Walmart brand - 12 dollars
Ozark Trails camping mat - 7 dollars at walmart
2 rolls Gorilla tape - 17 dollars ( get the big rolls you will need it.
Green foam sheets - 20"x20"x2" 7 dollars with 50 percent off coupon from joannes, and small 1" sheet 4 dollars with 50 percent off coupon[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: