Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f07221fdc6105af785f35755289af2e2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Mustofar outfit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediShadow ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Padme Mustofar outfit Reply with quote

My wife has wanted padme's refugee costume since we saw Episode II. However, as novice costumers, that costume appears to be a bit ambitious, so she has decided to make the sleeveless Mustofar costume instead. We have had a hard time finding a pattern does anyone have any good pattern suggestions. Or would there be a Padme costume that would be more beginner appropriate?
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seaming on the bodice/dress is pretty advanced (take a look at the copy and paste image I posted). It has several seams that are all top stitched with an inverted "V" in the center...I couldn't find any patterns that were like it, so I just created my own.

Copy and paste: http://www.padawansguide.com/padme3/sleeveless/dtg2.jpg

If she wanted to do Leia, the classic white ANH is probably the easiest costume for novice sewers, it's just a "T" with keyhole neckline in the back of the collar, and an open hood. As far as Padme costumes...there aren't many of hers that are "easy"! lol Tatooine disquise maybe? http://www.padawansguide.com/tatooine_disguise.shtml

JediShadow ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, we'll take a look at those costumes. Another one she had her eye on was the EPI flame dress. Would that be equally advanced?
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediShadow wrote:
Thanks, we'll take a look at those costumes. Another one she had her eye on was the EPI flame dress. Would that be equally advanced?

The flame dress is pretty advanced. The ombré dyeing aside, silk/rayon velvet is also difficult to sew for a beginner since it's so slippery.
Also, the pattern isn't exactly simple (more difficult than the refugee dress pattern, which, as you may know, I've published a reproduction pattern of on the respective thread - and that's a pattern I call "simple" as well).

The VERY simplest Padmé costume is, surprise, her hospital dress. That however is boring.
Personally, I consider the blue Tattooine poncho outfit quite simple, if you're willing to paint or embroider the poncho so it looks right.
Then again it of course depends on how much of a "beginner" you wife is - some people who have just sewn rectangle / square pillows call themselves "beginners"; others have already made some simple garments and call themselves "beginners"....

Edit: also, there's the question if your wife wants a formal costume (Rebel Legion approvable) or if she just wants "a costume" (which doesn't need to be approved for any membership).
JediShadow ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as being beginners, I upholstered the rocker and ottoman for our nursery. We have also made some costumes for the SCA including kimonos for both off us, a pair of hakama for myself, and a viking style dress (much like Eowyn's from The Two Towers), as well as appropriate under garments for each. We have no experience making our own patterns, embroidery, or anything but basic stitches. We also are not that adept at looking art a picture and knowing what kind of pattern would be needed, and then sourcing said pattern.
Other than the problem of sourcing or making the fabric, is the refugee gown an easier one to make?

As far as the costume standards, we are both wanting formal costumes for membership
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: