Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=90ed17125f017f622cb9edba4f77a8f4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Recommended Saber Fabricators?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayTee Erricck ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Recommended Saber Fabricators? Reply with quote

Aloha, Fellow Rebels / Jedi!

Can anyone offer up names for custom lightsaber companies that are recommended / reputable?

Slightly off topic from Rebel Legion, I am hoping to get a saber made for my nephew (who is only 10) but I would like to get it made specifically for someone his size.

Depending on the cost, I am considering getting him one with a sound board for sound FX.

I got my own personal saber customized by Parks but am wondering what other companies are to peoples' liking.

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated!

May the Force be with you!

Sincerely,
Jay Tee Erricck
Morgana ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/

We've used Custom Saber Shop to build several light sabers. It's a modular hilt system so there are many pieces to choose from to build your saber. You also put together the electronics yourself so you can choose what goes inside. Also when he gets older and you want to upgrade the saber it's a simple matter of unscrewing pieces and adding to it.
BedlamX (Tommy Sutton)
Dantooine Base CO
Dantooine Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgana wrote:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/

We've used Custom Saber Shop to build several light sabers. It's a modular hilt system so there are many pieces to choose from to build your saber. You also put together the electronics yourself so you can choose what goes inside. Also when he gets older and you want to upgrade the saber it's a simple matter of unscrewing pieces and adding to it.

Couldn't agree more. And with their new modular wiring system, it is easy to wire them up and easy to upgrade later. Build him one with no sound to start and add it in later if he sticks with it and winds up loving the costuming aspect. The possibilities are pretty limitless with their stuff.
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to give another nod to TCSS. I haven't used their modular hilt system, but have heard/seen good things from it. If you went with a small pommel, main body, and blade holder, you should be just under 9.2". Their stuff is going to be 1.5" tubing, so when you said you wanted a saber sized for a 10 year old, I'm not sure if you're referring to length or hilt diameter. For blade length, you can either order specific lengths from them or just get the standard 40" blade and easily cut it to size with a hacksaw.

If you're interested in TCSS, feel free to ask more questions here or in their forum. It's pretty intimidating when you first look at it, but ultimately not very complicated.

For electronics, they have the Nano Biscotte sound board which works really well if you don't want all of the bells and whistles of the bigger cards.
Drazhar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?board=55.0

Try the Mining Colony

Or any of the people listed under

Luxeon LED & Component Blade Saber Manufacturers

on the same forum.

All highly reputable folk.
Naglium (Gordon Gravelese)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've purchased a couple sabers from Arm On Fire - http://www.aofcustomsabers.com/

High quality, reasonable prices, and excellent customer service. I highly recommend him.

RL Stickers for sale here: http://rc5306.yolasite.com/other.php
Mihunai (Jermain Palmen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JQ Sabers,
Saber Concepts,
Do Clo
The list goes on and on.

As mentioned before, you can check FX-Sabers, just don't be afraid to get some info on any of the lesser known folks.

The one person I -can't- recommend is Saberforge.

All in all, each sabersmith has a specific style/specialty,
so find a smith that fits your sabers style (and budget Razz)

As for DIY, TCSS is the way to go.
Kodiak (Kevin Carlson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Wade Henry from Saber Concepts do the crystal chamber and electronics for my saber hilt. The hilt was designed by me using TCSS parts and Tim from TCSS did a few custom elements for me. I highly recommend TCSS if you want to save money and still design something unique. The hardest part is getting someone to do the electronics. If you do go with TCSS, I'd talk to whomever you are going to have do the electronics and throw the design by them before buying the parts just to make sure they can work with it.

Here are some pics of my finished saber:

Drazhar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mihunai wrote:
JQ Sabers,
Saber Concepts,
Do Clo
The list goes on and on.

As mentioned before, you can check FX-Sabers, just don't be afraid to get some info on any of the lesser known folks.

The one person I -can't- recommend is Saberforge.

All in all, each sabersmith has a specific style/specialty,
so find a smith that fits your sabers style (and budget Razz)

As for DIY, TCSS is the way to go.

Do Clo retired.
Mihunai (Jermain Palmen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Clo retired? Man, I've been out of the loop for way too long...
==
Anyway, don't be afraid to run some designs by here as well.
I personally think that some of those forums can be a bit cumbersome at times...
whitmers (Shaye Whitmer)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree that tcss is great. You can make all sorts of amazing things with their parts and combine them into something fairly unique that you will like. If you want *truly* unique though, you'll likely have to go with builders on

http://imperialroyalarms.com/ or fxsabers.

You can find some other builders here under their consortium section, some of which are also cross listed on fxsabers.

The more unique you go for, the more work and usually the higher cost.
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always make your own using PVC. TCSS and US both sell the internals (US has the better lights, but TCSS has the best sound). There are several tutorials on the TCSS forums for making PVC sabers. Also, you are talking hundreds of dollars cheaper.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, there are many great smiths I've worked With over the years. Wes of Nocturne Armory definitely comes to mind. Recently, Lord Bane over on FX Did some great work for me. I don't wanna stir up a hornets nest, but Saberforge has really stepped up his game lately as well. Yes he's had some problems in the past, But his recent work has really been stellar. I even own 3 of his hilts, but (full disclosure) have had the internals redone on 2 of them by others smiths. I would still buy from him only via eBay or Etsy just to be safe.

Regardless, I would check out the mining colony on FX or the consortium members on IRA For some highly qualified individuals. Good luck!

Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm a genesis custom sabers guy for life, he doesn't do replications...I was thinking of looking at parks for a old ben phase saber...but heard he's very hit and miss now

anyone have any feedback?

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drazhar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ky-Wan Zann wrote:
While I'm a genesis custom sabers guy for life, he doesn't do replications...I was thinking of looking at parks for a old ben phase saber...but heard he's very hit and miss now

anyone have any feedback?

I'd contact LDM, personally.

THAT MEANS ALL OF YOU.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: