About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=166863ca5c6f14b59ff488e34d6285dfMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My Snoova WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FELTING NEEDLES! They're called felting needles. I searched for hair punch needles and crown punch needles and only get FX supply shops and over-priced kits with a bunch of needles that won't be of any use on this project. Ebay gave no hits on those terms either. But try 'felting needles' and the world opens up and they cost next to nothing compared to the kits from fx shops.

Ordered 10 #36 and 10 #38 so I'm ready for breakage.
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the face and have been punching hair. I could see that I was going to have issues as I was not getting the punch angle right and I was getting a puffy looking face but rather than seek guidance I kept going (I know, big mistake). The "50/50" ( http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45978 ) thread discussing hair application showed me a few different techniques, none of which I used as I had started before the thread started and had invested many hours punching hair into silicone. That thread was excellent and I learned a lot but was too far gone to make any use of it. Discouraged and frustrated I was minutes away from pulling it all out for a restart when I thought I'd make a 'nothing to lose' last ditch effort to save the work I had done.

This is what I had. Eyebrows shown.

I poured near boiling water over the hair/scalp which bent the hair at the root in the direction of water flow. Once dry, the hairs separated (did not melt together) and they stayed bent laying flat on the skin.

Test area on side of face where the jaw joint is located.

Shot showing how flat it now is.
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shins were 'floppy' when I walked so i filled them in with a lightweight and sturdy structure.

Extended stilt foot area to the point where my shoes end using aluminum bars. Added a 'knee' with remnant parts from hockey shin guards used on my upper arms. Linked the two with elastic string.

Looks much better when I'm walking.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your done with costume I would love to hear more about this near boiling water trick on the hair line. This might be worth using on the bridge of the nose area... a typical issue for most wookies.

Maybe worth a tutorial if you get bored.

Really good idea.

Bob
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can do. Presently I am punching a line of hair and bending it at the root with a hair dryer. I'm very happy with the results. The hot water was used because the area was too large to access the roots with a hair dryer.

I'm very close to the eyes and nose so I'll show some progress pics showing what I'm doing.
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look like I'll be able to show my hot water treatment. It was effective for the large patch I had to treat but I switched to punching a couple long rows and knocking them over with a hair dry as I went along. Sorry, 'bout that.

Well, here I am, in the closing leg of my Snoo-bacca build. I have done nothing with Snoova's accessories but as a naked Wookiee who could wear Chewie's bandolier, I'm almost complete.

A few nights ago, I finished hair punching. I trimmed the inside of the silicone skin so that there was about 4mm of hair exposed. Using the hair dryer I knocked the little tail over then smeared silicone adhesive to the inside of the skin. After it cured, it held the follicles tight. I can still pull them out with effort but they are quite strong for the purpose of grooming and trooping.

Once the skull was prepped, (I worked in a servo for the snarl but it still needs some parts before I can activate it. I'm not optimistic at this point s I may be snarl-less) I attached the face to the skull using a silicone adhesive. I let it sit overnight so the adhesive would cure.

Today I got down to cutting and thinning. After a cut, this is what I had to work with:

After thinning, this is what's left:

I'm mostly happy with it. I had to open the eyes a little bit on the underskull and made the mistake of using a dremel. Even with the steadiest hand I caught one hair which grabbed other hairs which made a huge mess and pulled some hair from the face. I have about an inch square to repunch on the left eye (your right) in the pic above. I finished the eye repair with an X-Acto blade.
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was hoping for some feedback from my last post. Maybe this will engage you:

First test with eye makeup and with the body.

What I think need to be done:
-trim and thin the neckline so it isn't so puffy.
-thicken eye makeup to remedy thin spots.
-put some pants on.

Anything else?
Klwl ()

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs pants and more eye make up

The
End
Anakin Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My my my what big teeth you have Wink looks really cool! but a really big smile Very Happy

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eyes look to far apart making you look a bit cross eyed. The hair needs to be groomed and set on the face. It looks a bit to wild. The black hair looks to soft on top. It should look like a crew cut or flat top for Snoova. Id also grit up the teeth. They look pearly white. Its definately on its way though.
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
Your eyes look fine. In the one photo they angle you are looking makes for a distorted crossed look, but the other 2 pics are good.

You want to dirty up the teeth with some acrylic paint wash. Try to simulate the actual plague and grime of a bears teeth. Add a little weathering to the lips also. A few dots and texture lines to break up the smoothness.
Snoova is a bounty hunter and should have a more gritty,nasty feel.

Use THIINING SCISSORS on the mask hair around the sides of the cheeks and the neck beard area. Do not use regular scissors or it will appear too choppy.You want it to appear like natural hair growth. Thin and brush out after a few cuts.

Add stiff hair spray and maybe a waxy hair product to make the spiked hair stand in more of a flat top.

Snoova is thicker in the neck area in the reference photos. Also you are going to add the cyborg eye assembly and black mask out the other area of the eye.

Here are photos of my Snoova. It is approved in the Rebel Legion and 501st.

Keep up the good work....

[img]
Front full length by mcm1015, on Flickr[/img]
[img]
IMG_4550 by mcm1015, on Flickr[img]
[/img]
1 by mcm1015, on Flickr[img][/img]
[img]
IMG_4546 by mcm1015, on Flickr[/img]

Chewy Layers snow to print
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marty. Your input is appreciated most given your history and challenges approving this costume (Now as a GXO I can see the approval forums and the steps you made from initial application to approval were exceptional.)

Now, stop sharing your pics, please. I weep with envy each time I see them. Laughing

The mask kit I purchased did give me a cross-eyed look to begin with but I raised the bridge of the nose so that the inner eyes would be closer together when adhered to the skull. Like all kits, extra work had to be done to make it suit me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: