About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9a9149d7606db649267dbedfab682d63Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Solo gloves spotted in Doctor Who!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Solo gloves spotted in Doctor Who! Reply with quote

Imagine my surprise while watching a classic Dr Who episode, when I see this:

That sure looks like Solo's gloves in ANH!

This capture is from the 1974 episode Planet of the Spiders, at around the 8:45 mark of episode one. I wonder if this dispels the theory that these are LA Transit gloves, since this is a British TV show. It also most definitely shows that the color is more on the yellow side as both myself and CaptSolo77 believe.

I didn't bother to grab another shot as you mostly see the other side through the car's windshield, but you can also clearly see that the other side of the glove is black.

I wonder if these were an off the shelf option back in the 70's in the UK, as they did do quite a bit of filming there and perhaps just grabbed a set for the movie.
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremely intriguing find Havok. One detail that might help confirm whether or not these are the gloves can be seen here:

[img]
IMG_0424 by bri458, on Flickr[/img]

If you look at the pinky finger in the image, you can see that the yellow color from the front extends over the top of the finger and onto the palm side of the gloves. In other words, the fingertips on the black palm side are still the yellowish color. Magnoli's gloves miss this small detail.

You mention being able to see the palm side in the Dr. Who episode. If they have the yellow fingertips, I would say they are almost certainly the same glove. I never really bought into the LA RTA story, especially since rabid fans had harassed former drivers in an attempt to get the gloves, and the drivers had no idea what they were talking about.

You have pretty good evidence for them being a British product. Maybe we're at least a little closer to the truth.

"Good against remotes is one thing, good against a living...that's something else."

CaptSolo77
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: