About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e6948acb5de288b9972a1bf131314aa4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A fading star?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HanSagan (Peter Haynes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: A fading star? Reply with quote

I've come to the sad realization that when I'm trooping as Han, people under a certain age group have no idea who I am. At the last sci fi convention we had here in NZ, more people actually thought I was Captain Mal.

Anyone else had this problem?

www.angels2200.com

GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone always seems to know who Chewie is, thankfully. But anyone at a sci-fi con who doesn't know who Han Solo is needs to turn in their geek card.

But honestly I've been waiting for that shoe to drop for a while. We're now 7 years since the end of the prequels, and 35 years since the release of Star Wars. The Clone Wars, The Force Unleashed, and now The Old Republic are what "Star Wars" is to the new generation. Anakin and Obi-Wan seem to be the favorite characters of most kids now. They are the new Han and Chewie.

That's a shame really, because Han and Chewie are just cooler than either of those guys. For instance, none of them ever shout the word "Nooo!"

They need to turn "The Han Solo Adventures" into an actual show.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RL trading cards help...

But usually its the moms and dads who remember Han... the kids do as well, but certainly there is a new generation knowledge gap for Han. Chewie was at least able to make another on screen appearance in ROTS.
theeviltwin ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had really strange and inconsistent experiences with this one.

It is understandable that to children and younger fans that Star Wars is clone troopers, republic Jedis, battle droids, Anakin and Grievous. The Star Wars they are growing up with and is defined by is the prequels and the Clone Wars cartoon.

But I was really surprised by the reactions at a recent event (and others) I costumed as ANH Han. The venue was Legoland in Windsor, a venue designed for children aged (roughly) 2 - 12, exactly the age group you would expect would only know Star Wars as the prequel characters. I was expecting to have to explain who I was to a significant number of the kids, maybe 50%. While there were a couple of kids who asked and a couple of parents who explained as they came for pics, the vast majority (and it was a busy day) of kids of all ages knew who I was meant to be. I can't explain it but it was a very unexpected and positive reaction indeed.

As the time of the prequels ends and Star Wars shifts to the time of the complete saga, also as fans reach the age when they can fully appreciate all six of the movies, the best characters will be the favourites again. Wink

Anyone who has costumed as Han will already know there are certain questions you regularly get asked. For younger fans one of those questions can be "who are you?", and as with the other common questions it is useful to have an answer prepared. I keep it simple and explain that I fly the Millenium Falcon with Chewbacca and helped Luke Skywalker rescue Princess Leia from the Death Star. Kids may only have seen ANH once and may not have picked up on Han Solo's name and less outlandish costume, but they will recognise Chewie's name and the Death Star and remember the rescue.
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only that, but if the Original Trilogy is eventually done in 3D, it should help refresh those characters much like the Special Editions did ages ago. I think they will be much more warmly received than the Prequels ever could be.

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A fading star? Reply with quote

HanSagan wrote:
I've come to the sad realization that when I'm trooping as Han, people under a certain age group have no idea who I am.

Anyone else had this problem?

Here ... (Czech Republuc) ... it is almost same ... Wink

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Executive Officer
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once, in a local comic convention almost ten years ago, I was in my Han outfit and a girl working for a cable channel booth said to me "Bye, Woody!"... Rolling Eyes
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: A fading star? Reply with quote

I thought I was the only one that was in that boat. Hopefully with new stuff coming out we Solos can get some recognition again. Look on the bright guys, nobody has called us Kirk yet.

I am the basis for the World's Most Interesting Man commercials by Dos Equis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, with Solo getting his own movie and Harrison Ford reprising his role in the new trilogy, Solo is going to be big with the kids again.
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im gonna wonder if he will be as big as we think. I cant see the new movies focusing really on the OT characters. If they want the franchise to move past and on, Characters like Solo are going to be more secondary than pivotal. Im going to guess they get as much screen time as the emperor did in ROTJ. A few scenes here and there with a plot developing around new characters tied to the older ones. They will make an over all impact, but I think its gonna be less than we all think. Add to it, his costume most likely will be nothing like what we are used to seeing. I have a feeling they are going to try to make a states man out of him of some sort. So aside from the fact hes 70 now, I question if the clothes are gonna be the same too.

Much mystery revolves around this movie. Meditate I will on it.
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how they will explain things if the new movie is post-YV war and Chewie is still alive. I know they have no problem throwing out literally dozens of novels and comics thanks to the Mandalorian pacifists and Bariss' being a Dark Jedi, but still. Will the Mouse and/or Uncle George really throw close to a decade-worth of media out the window?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torment, I think you are right on the money. The OT characters will have a role, but they will probably play second fiddle to a new cast of heroes and villains, as it should be.

Han Solo should be like one of Clint Eastwood's recent characters; an old fart and definately past his prime but still a badass and a force to be reckoned with.

Chewie will still be in fighting form, of course, given 600+ year Wookiee life span.

I hope that they do something totally new and forget the EU except for the occasional cameo. I want to go into theater with no idea what is going to happen.
Twi'lek Pam (Pam Simpson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my 4th graders on a field trip today, and on the return trip back to school I heard a group of boys sitting a few rows behind me start talking about Star Wars. Naturally I started paying closer attention to the conversation, and discovered that they were playing a trivia game. The boys spent a good half hour asking each other questions, and I have to say that at least half of the questions were from the original trilogy, especially Empire, and the rest were mostly from the prequels. Very few questions were from Clone Wars. To my delight they got a lot of the answers right.

Some questions I heard:

Who said, 'I'm altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it further.'?

Who flew with a jet pack? (kids answering said both Boba and Jango)

Who killed Obi Wan?

Did Luke lose his left hand or his right hand?

Why did Ahsoka leave?

Why did Chewbacca try to strangle Lando?

Who was born first, Luke or Leia?

What was the ice planet called?

Who said 'Yub yub'?

And, my favorite question of the trip:

"Who would win a battle, the sarlacc or the rancor?" They debated everything from sizes to grip strength to whether or not the rancor could pull the sarlacc out of his caverns. Heh. We were on a science field trip and had been studying predators, afterall.

Then, when they got tired of that game, they launched into a long round of the Imperial March, and the bus filled with "Dunnn dunnn dunnn, dun dun dun... and somebody attempted to do the chorus from Duel of the Fates as well. They drive me nuts sometimes, but they do give me hope for the future of Star Wars if nothing else! :-D

Pam :-)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam, I really wish there was a like button on the forums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: