About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ff610ad5a6ca7dd8729615011d567776Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A-Wing bucket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delta5Actual ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: A-Wing bucket Reply with quote

Well, I finally have my helmet and I've figured out my paint scheme. My new problem now is the greeblies that go on the helmet. I'm not seeing any clear shots of them or of the wires that run along the back side of the helmet. Does anyone have any insight into what they used in the films or, for that matter, what have other A-Wingers used to solve this? Any help would be appreciated.

Secondly, in the pics, I see two vertical black stripes on the ear pieces on both sides. They look to be cut out and have some sort of screen/mesh covering them. Am I correct in saying so? Hate to start hacking away on this thing only to find I'm wrong!

Thanks for all the help. In the meantime, My search for clear helmet pics continues.... Razz
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the "vertical slits" shown in this picture?

If so, yeah, the helmet does seem to have those vertical cuts, but I'm not sure that they're actually cut all the way through. It looks to me like they're just deep, and the black you see is shadow. Or they might have painted those in, but remember that's also a pre-production helmet (as far as I'm aware) so they might not have been painted in later.
But I doubt that they're actually cut all the way through. All of these helmets that look like they have things cut out, like the "vents" on the A-wing and B-wing pilot helmets, aren't actually cut at all, they're just slightly intended and then were painted or had decals applied to give them that look.

As for the greeblies... I know that there's a picture floating around here somewhere that shows one side of the A-wing pilot helmet. It might even show both, but I can't remember. It also has those cuts on the sides but they're not painted black. I'll see if I can find it, but someone else may have it...

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Delta5Actual ()

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in Hades did you find that pic?? I have been looking for a day and a half and have not found anything like that clearly showing the sides. Mad Thanks for it, though. Very Happy
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That helmet was sold at an auction a little while ago. There are more pictures in this thread.

Honestly, I'm not so sure I'd use it for much reference, at least when going for the greeblies. It's most likely a pre-production piece, which was probably used for tests, and was altered a bit for the movie helmets. First of all, it's missing the top shield, which it should have. Also, the greeblies are different for the movie version. I can't tell you exactly what they look like but I can tell you that, as far as I can tell, the movie helmets did not have the that kind of plug hanging down from the left side. It may have had some sort of plug, like the B-wing and Y-wing pilot helmets had, but not that type, and possibly not in that same location.

You can get some sort of idea from these pictures, though they're not the greatest. Still, you can see that at least a couple of the greeblies are different, and the microphone is placed up higher on the movie helmets.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Delta5Actual ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, between no clear shots of the parts and the inconsistencies from one pilot to another, making an accurrate helmet is proving to be difficult. Thanks for the pics, but I've seen all them before. I think those are like the only pics that exist of the A-wing pilot. I wanted a different pilot that would provide a bit of a challenge, so I guess I got what I wished for! Confused
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, like I said, somewhere around here is a picture of what looks to be a screen used A-wing pilot helmet. I can't remember if it has a picture of both sides but I know there's at least one side. I haven't seen that picture in a while and I'm not sure who posted it, but if I see it again I'll put a link here...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Delta5Actual ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking out! Very Happy
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see more discussion on the A-wing.... We were working on a group project for 6 of us to do A-wing pilots, and have since been bogged down. Thanks for posting more images too! This is one costume that seems to have had either inconsistencies or just not enough reference.

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the side picture I mentioned. Heh, it was on the first page of Dirty Tusken's helmet thread... Go figure. Razz

I also finally figured out what the greeblie is on the A-wing pilot flak vest...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Delta5Actual ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...so share with the class what the greeblie is. Very Happy

Or, at least PM me with the info! Mr. Green
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to see it in this picture (it's much easier to see it in the Character Encyclopedia book), but if you zoom in closely on the greeblie that's on the bottom right of the vest (the pilot's right)...

It looks to be the same greeblie used on the side of the auction B-wing pilot helmet, but with orange or red stripes instead of blue...

Like I said, it's a lot easier to see in the book because the picture is a fair bit clearer. In the book you can make out the round indentation in the middle and the five holes in it.

I noticed that while I was, once again, trying to figure out what the pocket is on the left arm sleeve of the A-wing and B-wing coveralls. I still can't figure out what that pocket is or what exactly it looks like...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Delta5Actual ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I now kow what greeblie I'm working on next weekend! Rolling Eyes
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure wish I knew what it was... It'd be fairly easy to make a mold of that and make some resin copies of it. But I have no idea what that piece was (originally).

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: