About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=247e973297cf3ebb90d5b5ba3cc112bcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Generic Jedi - props beypnd the tunic/robe and lightsaber

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norlemann ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Generic Jedi - props beypnd the tunic/robe and lightsaber Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

As a cool summer holiday project I built a TCSS lightsaber (as a portable alternative to my ongoing all metal astromech). The saber turned out great, but have been sitting in a corner ever since it was finished - until now, hehe.

Next month my daughter's school is having a big costume party for both kids and parents. Saber time! I've made a robe and long tunic much like the ANH Obi Wan, but am looking for any details I can add to it to make it into my own character rather than Obi Wan without Sir Alec inside the hood, hehe. Anything like arm guards, gloves, a mask of some kind (maybe something like Revan's?) What I'm asking basically is - what additions/customisations can I get away with and still get approved? Is there any different rules for Grey Jedis?

cheers peeps
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no official grey jedi in the RL, so no. Wink Same rule applies to all jedi.

Armor is a possibility. It is mostly either the CW style or the TOR style. You could look into both and see if you like them.

And then there are headwear. Eye masks are an option, but full face masks tends to go with dark side characters.

You could also think about changing your color if you want to be less Old Ben. Different colors can do a lot of change the look of a costume. (Just no neon colors). Wink

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People tend to think of "Gray" Jedi as "darker" Jedi. Seems like a cool idea, but in the end Gray Jedi are....Jedi. Their philosophy, with respect to the Force, is different than the mainstream. Qui-gon Jinn was considered a "Gray" Jedi, as was Joli from KOTOR. Both exceptional Jedi that fought against evil.

As for accessories?

Well...accessories often distract and get in the way of the costume as a whole. Quite honestly, I've seen very few costumes that were able to use an accessory in a way that is commpliments the Jedi costume. Fortnately, most accessories are ignored by the Jedi LCJs. As long as it could be seen in Star Wars, we'll allow it. When we don't allow accessories, we will ask for pictures without said accessories. Once your costume is approved, you can wear them all you like. The only time you will be asked to not wear an accessory or denied trooping with the accessorized costume is when someone at LFL (or now Disney) says so. Since the vast majority of our troops are not official/canon events, most folks are okay.

Here's my opinion on some of the items you mentioned (and this is my opinion as a costumer, not an LCJ....meaning nothing I say next is set in stone or is the firm opinion of the Rebel Legion):

arm guards?
-Fore arm guards, vambraces, wraps are a nice way to modify a jedi costume without ruining it. It's required for the Generic General Jedi, but is not considered (meaning we ignore them) in judging for Generic Jedi.

gloves?
-I REALLY don't like gloves on a Jedi. When they look good, the costumer wears a form fitting glove (like you see in the animated series. Those glove look good on a Jedi). I absolutely abhore seeing Jedi costumers wear regular "winter" gloves that are oversized for warmth. They always choose black and...it just looks bad. (Sorry to all you guys out there who have used this accessory. Again, don't hate me...this is just my opinion.)

a mask of some kind? (or eyewear)
-Ugg...Visas Marr has a mask or veil and it looks good. Rhan Kota has an eye wrap to cover his lightsaber burned eyes, awesome. Plo Koon? Well....geez, it's Plo Koon....who doesn't like Master Plo??? What about the Miraluka? Well, there are few people (in my opinion) who would know what/who "Miraluka" are. In my opinion eye wear or masks really push the limit as to what we should allow for Generic Jedi (alien, or otherwise).

It amazes me how incredible color choises can influence a Jedi costume. The right color combination can really make a costume POP. And while belt accessores can be rather variable, having the right number and the positioning of these pouches/boxes (their size and shape), food capsules, etc. is key.

Another way to make your Jedi stand out is the consider the length of the tabards and the shape of the tabards on the front side. Some folks have been very creative with their tabards which have allowed them to have a really good and unique Jedi costume.

I hope my thoughts help get you thinking into how you modify your Jedi costume to be unique, while remaining true to the costume standards.

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
matt.elder1971 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of accessories, there are quite a few different items listed as required for formal approval for a generic Jedi. How exactly are those judged? Do they have to be totally screen accurate, or is it OK if they give the general impression of the required item? I'm mainly referring to things like the aquabreather, droid caller, and food capsules. My wife and I are working on generic Jedi costumes, and that's about all we have left to finish on hers.
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I would say they need to look like the film versions of the props. Maybe they don't need to be 100% accurate, but as close as possible. If it's not readily recognizable as what it supposed to be, then it might not pass.

The BEST tool at the costumer's disposal is a WIP. Post pics of the development of a given costume or prop. That's the only real way to get any valid opinion on something Wink

matt.elder1971 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest question is on a droid caller. It seems most of the replicas of the movie props cost in the neighborhood of $60-75 (or more), which is rather expensive for such a small prop. I've seen some tutorials that show how to make one out of basic plumbing parts, but those don't look exactly like the two versions from the films (Han's and the Jawa version). As far as I'm aware, those two are the only ones that were ever actually shown in a movie. Would something like that be OK? I'd think it's reasonable to assume that there would be more than just two styles of droid caller over the many decades that the films span.

edit: I just found one of the flash units on eBay that I'm bidding on, so hopefully I'll get lucky with it.

Last edited by matt.elder1971 () on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
BedlamX (Tommy Sutton)
Dantooine Base CO
Dantooine Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the cheap-o ones from Costumebase (or whatever they call themselves now) that came with a Han Solo rig I butchered for my Jedi belt. It looks fine to me and looks extremely easy to make if I ever want another one. I'd say if you make one and it looks close to what is seen on screen (any version), people will recognize it and you'd be OK. None of my pouches are accurate. I really don't care much for the look of the molded ones and like to keep stuff in mine, so I use modified WW2 leather pouches for most costumes. But I have seen a few people on here and the Mercs' boards making custom leather pouches that resemble the classic ones and those from the latest movies, so should be easy enough to get hold of something that works for that. The other parts like the communicator and rebreather are very easy to make and there are lists all over the web on what parts to use as bases and greeblies so you can make them for very little money.

Good luck to you on your builds and the suggestion of a WIP is a great one.
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hobby of costuming is a challenge to figure out how to make things. I now make almost all of my costume and props. Some are easy, some are not.

The difficult thing is to look at a movie prop, then figure how how to make it. I've spent HOURS browsing through home improvement centers (Lowe's) and electronic stores.

Good luck with your bid, but if you miss it...give making props a try. It's really fun!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: