About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=24b1d9629fe87ad7a7924ea121312313Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP Han Solo - Belt Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Raider ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: WIP Han Solo - Belt Question Reply with quote

Hello!

I have a question regarding the belt!

I acquired this Han Solo belt from my friend, I would like to know if I can salvage this belt, modify it and still be able to use it... Ie. Make it acceptable for CRL Standards...

Comments and suggestions welcome... Trying to make use with what I have instead of having to spend more money...

I know I have to cut out the middle part in the holster, and fill in the bottom hole... Just need to know if others have any suggestions on what to fix...

Thanks!!

Corey
theeviltwin ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: WIP Han Solo - Belt Question Reply with quote

Star Raider wrote:
Hello!

I have a question regarding the belt!

I acquired this Han Solo belt from my friend, I would like to know if I can salvage this belt, modify it and still be able to use it... Ie. Make it acceptable for CRL Standards...

Comments and suggestions welcome... Trying to make use with what I have instead of having to spend more money...

I know I have to cut out the middle part in the holster, and fill in the bottom hole... Just need to know if others have any suggestions on what to fix...

Thanks!!

Corey

Hiya,

I can't really answer whether the belt can be salvageable or what it would take to modify it, but the key to it being acceptable is that it looks like it does in the movie and fits like it does in the movie. You aren't trying to represent a CRL / standards list, you are trying to represent the specific character fom the movie.

The standards are a list of the details that must be present, but that list is not the end of the approval story. The details have to be accurate, in the right places, the gunbelt has to fit the distinctive way it does Han in the movie, and it mustn't have obvious extra details not on the original costume.

I see this make of gunbelt a lot - I even used to own one (never used it for an RL costume though). As it stands here is the list of inaccuracies I would point out as issues if you submitted it:

The holster shape (the bit to cut out) and the end cap you already know about.

The covered pouch should be between the front buckle and the caller holder.

The belt disc is totally inaccurate.

The belt parts have holes punched in them (where there shouldn't be any).

The belt keepers / loops should not be there.

There shouldn't be any fasteners on the waist belt by the front buckle.

What you can only see when it is worn is that the whole buckle / attachment / latching / fastening design is flawed. Not only is it very weak, but it is designed like a pants belt to fit straight across the front. The design actually prevents the gunbelt from fitting the wearer like it does Han in the movie, with that distinctive "hang" from both the hips to the lower front buckle. This is caused by the way the waist belt parts attach to the front buckle. It also means that there is probably extra length of waist belt where there shouldn't be any when it is worn.

Couple of things that are passable but not great: the buckles and the other pouches aren't entirely accurate.

So I'm afraid there are a lot of issues with this gunbelt. Perhaps others could suggest methods for dealing with the issues. Several members have posted excellent build tutorials and WIP threads for gunbelts - that is definitely another option worth considering.

Good luck whichever solution you choose.

Greg

PS. I used mine for my "Pool Han" costume at CVI.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say that there might not be much on that belt that can be used in a new belt... but you can use the belt as a template for making a good one!

Not much else can be said of the CB belts... they are meant for Halloween.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: