About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1a89a84c696d4bc13fde455ef5b07580Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My female wooks (WIP of Kallabeccani and Mallatobukk)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See I think that is where my frustration has been. I was trying to figure out where my nose should be under the mask compaired to the features of the outside of the mask. The way you explain it helps a bit and I will look at it once again tonight. I had first figured to create the muzzle first before adding to the forhead so there was my second mistake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kallabeccani wrote:
See I think that is where my frustration has been. I was trying to figure out where my nose should be under the mask compaired to the features of the outside of the mask. The way you explain it helps a bit and I will look at it once again tonight. I had first figured to create the muzzle first before adding to the forhead so there was my second mistake.

I'm currently on my second go around with my sculpt, I hope to post the pics tomorrow.

What helped me is the veteran wookiee builders explained that you have to go off the eyes. Since your eyes and the wookiee mask's eyes are in the same location you can use that as a starting point. Then you can use reference photos to gauge where the rest of the features need to go. I know you are building a specialized wookiee, but going off pictures of Chewie, you can see where everything matches up.

For instance in this pic the top of the nose is level with the bottom of the eyes. You also notice that the mouth is only as wide as the outside edges of the eyes:

For the depth of the muzzle, it's pretty deep! Look at where Peter Mayhew's eyes are, they are pretty far back from the edge of the mouth.

Another way to imagine it, is think of having a complete set of dentures in front of your actual mouth. Because essentially that is what you have, a fake mouth in front of you real mouth.

I also watch a Stan Winston School video on sculpting. The instructor says to take breaks and come at it fresh. He also mentioned bringing in a second person to look at it. I brought in my niece and she was able to see things I couldn't and we got a better sculpt for it.

Just remember it's not a sprint, but more of a marathon. I started my sculpt December 26th, and I'm just finishing now.

I hope some of this helps.

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good way of looking at the sizing of the mouth is like it was in Planet of the Apes. The muzzle is like a cut in half coconut shell. Too many Wookiees are made with really wide mouths. Look at the photos you posted.....Chewies mouth size, left to right is almost the same size as a regular persons.

Chewy Layers snow to print

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I worked on the mask tonight and here is what I came up with and I tried to take everyones advice here.....

I added to the forhead about 2 inches on the top and tapered it to about 1 inch out at the eyebrows. On the sides I took it out about half an inch to an inch and narrowed the muzzle and enlongated it a bit. I am not liking the nose right now so have stopped for the evening till I get some comments. So without further ado.... Here are some pictures.

Oh yea I did get this picture as well! This is the brown colors of my hair outside in the bright sun.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG I just got reminded that I haven't updated this in a very long time lol I plan on posting pictures and doing that as soon as possible. Not to worry This project is still on its way!
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking very nice, Angela. Good blend of colors in the hair.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so here goes some photos,.....

The above picture is the face of the wookiee I am working on. As you can see it is from the old game Star Wars Galaxies. Below is where I am at so far. It only needs some minor touch ups (I think) before it is fully ready to cast.

Here is the starting work on the leg of the costume

Ok so that's a bit up to date so far. I am working quite a bit on this lately.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some update pictures! Yea I know mine is a very slow build compared to most but due to work times and constraints I am going about it slower.

So I got a good start on the brown here, I am going up to the pink ribbon before I start my transition stage again

Here is where I start the transition to my other color

And to my other color now.... Yes it is white.

That is as high as I am currently taking it and going to be starting the other leg to catch up. I have to stop there due to the fact that the pattern after that point gets a bit difficult unless both sides are done at same time. I am also redoing my top as some of it will not work now.
Sarah1968 ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking job so far Angela Smile

Regards
Sez.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: