About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2047ba2b1c5586c813de4b90f19087fdMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A-Wing Box Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkwell (Charlie Vick)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: A-Wing Box Questions Reply with quote

I'm new around here but I want to start working on an A-Wing suit now that there is a good helmet finally being offered. I've already gotten in line for the next A-Wing helmet run so I'm looking at the chest box to tide me over for the next couple of weeks.

I've been playing around with foam/balsa and bondo but I need to get settled on the box decorations before I go much farther.

Got a couple of questions and I'm looking for anyone to weigh in.

First here are the reference photo's I've found looking through threads on this board. Does anyone have anything else that has the A-Wing box in it?

To me it looks like the box not only flares on angle on the left and right side but also on the top and bottom.

There looks to be two knobs on the left side maybe the size of a cap off of a pill bottle/small vitamin bottle. You can kinda see it on the exhibit but they are obvious on the pre-production shot in the book. The bottom has two obvious knobs/caps.

I'm seeing three dark knobs/greebles on the top of the middle section. The lower middle is hard to figure out but the exhibit has the clearest image. Two silver knobs/buttons on the top and bottom with some type of black connector connecting something black in the middle. It kinda looks like two black knobs/buttons that are connected with some type of piece. The book and the exhibit are hard to decipher here.

If I'm counting right there are three full ribs and a half rib which comes down from the top and connects in to the silverplate which holds the lower knobs/greebles.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I'm trying to do a mock up on the chest box and there is little to go on.

Last edited by inkwell (Charlie Vick) on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're correct on all counts. I have a 3D model I made over a year ago, and I can put up some pictures when I'm on my main computer if it helps. It's not entirely accurate, admittedly, because of the program I was working with was rather limited, but it may help give some ideas.

But yeah, you are right that each side of the chestbox flares out. I also agree that there are two larger knobs/caps on the side and two on the bottom. Whether or not the two on the bottom are covered up by the triangular hose attachment I can't quite figure out.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for seeing this so late...

Your description of the box sounds great...

Standing by...
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Delta5Actual ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, do we have a clarification on the chest box? Do the top and bottom come out at an angle like the sides as well? Just getting ready for assembly and need to know how to slap it all together. Razz
Delta5Actual ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I look at all the pics, the more I think that this is the way I want to go. There is a squared off area on the top in all the pics of Jake Ferrell that make me believe this is more accurrate. Plus, the exhibit pics show some angular sides as well as top/bottom. Any comments/suggestions?
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn´t the squared part only be the "edge" of the ribs? Depending on the point of view, at least for the exhibition picture it would be quite possible because the pic was taken from a low position..?

I think any way you will design your box will look good & very similar to the movie box - as long as we can´t get a "real good pic" of an original box no one can say what is accurate and what is not...

THATS why I love being an A-winger - there is some space left for personal interpretation! Cool
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Delta5Actual ()

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the way I look at it. I can make what I want and until they get a clear pic to show me, I'm fine. Very Happy
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I used quite a bit o' "artistic license" on mine, but kept within the bounds of available imagery.

Awing

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
DL (Johan Hanson)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delta5Actual wrote:
The more I look at all the pics, the more I think that this is the way I want to go.

I made that sketch once, but later I revised it to this:

On the right part of the top, I put a thin box.
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's a pic of my costume with the box that DL made.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: