Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c989f061bbb5c4c283467b79e10a757dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My female wooks (WIP of Kallabeccani and Mallatobukk)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: My female wooks (WIP of Kallabeccani and Mallatobukk) Reply with quote

Yep I am making two female wooks and here is the start of the progress lol.

I decided to do both wookiees as Malla is a cannon character and should be done for the sake of Chewie needs his mate! My own generic wook is my main project but as I am going to be doing alot of cutting, sewing and padding I might as well do both at once. I am also going to be making both masks at once and removeable from my skull so I may interchange them when needed. Another good thing is I wont have to change out my feet as Kalla and Malla both have the same shades of brown to them.

So on with the start as this weekend I went down to Nashville Tennessee to have some fun at GMX (geek media expo) and at Matt's house. Hopefully Matt will chime in on the pictures as all I can say is I had a very hard time controlling my giggles and laughter lol. At least eventually they gave me a marker and cardboard to communicate with!

This is NOT the frosting I was thinking about!!!

And so how did it go?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't actually take any photos with my phone, since I left it inside the house so I wouldn't mess it up.

You should snap some photos of the cast.

Overall it went well, this was my first lifecast with lots of hair! Definitely a challenge there.

The ears didn't turn out so well but otherwise the cast was good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got Ya covered!

Here is the inside of the front of the casting you can see a bit of my makeup came off in the process lol. This is what I call a once a year facial lol.

Here is the back of the casting

The finished head from the front. It still needs cleaned up but that shouldn't take too long... I hope lol

And one from the side you will notice the ears are not quite there. I am not too worried and if we need to do this again we will do great.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's so cool!
Roheryn ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great! Still have to make an appointment for my casting Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did today.....

I found an old rasp out in the garage and took to my casting. I took off all the rough edges and smoothed it out a great deal. Will be taking some plaster of paris to fill in the divits and holes next. Will also order my monster clay this week to get started on the face!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys I am still here! I had to take a break due to the holiday season which left me low on funds.

As of this week I have asked my mother (who is a great sewer by the way) to help me with my wookiee. She agreed to help! This has made me extremely thrilled beyond what you can believe and has even mentioned helping latch hooking as well while I am at work!!!

So This week my body mesh will be cut out and sewed together and I will be posting pictures as soon as I can. We also came up with a concept of the female chest area that we think will work out great and I will also be showing the steps on that.

I am currently trying to sell my stilts that I have already so if you know of anyone looking for a cheap pair I am selling them for $75 (I paid $90). They are much to tall for me and I am unconfortable with them. They are 18" stilts and I have pictures of them if you need to see them. I will be investing in a pair of 15" skywalkers and having a neighbor take them down to 13" for me (he does aluminum welding and cutting).

So I wanted to give this update and let everyone know this female wook is back in action!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week has been a major payday for me!

Yesterday (2/7/13) I got home to having my material cut out and pinned together for a first fitting. The top is very very close to what I have seen done by others just a few minor adjustments before I add the chest area on.

Here is the pants... They still need alot of work on them plus those will not be the stilts I will be using but they are good enough to help get sizes down till my smaller Skywalkers can be ordered. As you can tell those stilts I am wearing are just way too tall! That is an 8 foot ceiling and I was already over 7 foot by a couple of inches without the head yet.

Today was more fun! I got my monster clay in and started playing with it. I am not exactly sure what I am doing so basically I just done a thin coat on my life cast for the moment. It is so fun to play with reminds me of warm chocolate! (The color and texture.) I did notice after the first layer I have a fairly oval face.

While working with the clay I was having a little bit of trouble molding it and did not want to use the microwave nor oven to heat up the clay.... which is what it said to do. Instead I went and grabbed my Professional hairdryer and used it to warm the clay and mold it where needed. I then went back using the dryer on the clay that was on my lifecast and smoothed out some places till I start the actual building the wookiee face.

So this is what I got done in the last two days.
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mesh looks like a good fit. Get the pins out and sew that thing together!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pants are not fixed right now they need to be taken up in the waist and then more mesh added to where my knee is downward because we did not make it quite wide enough angle and it dips inward at my ankle.

I also still need to finish up the chest area on the top.

Today was another goodie day as I got 40 bags of hair. I still need to order 40 more bags but had to buy a stinking power supply for my computer and will have to wait a week to order the last of the hair. As soon as my main computer is back up and running I will be able to post more.
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Work .....Dont forget, You may want to extend the arm sleeves to give more of a real look to your arm length when finished. Just extending the hair off of the end of the arms or gloves doesnt give a really natural look. The hair also will get in the way of your hands trying to grip things or shake hands with fans.
Keep up the good work......

Chewy Layers snow to print
_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is really cool !!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marty!

The sleeves are already about 2 inches past my fingertips and hadn't looked at extending them. In the picture I look very leggy! Thats not the case though as those stilts are extremely way too tall! They are 18" stilts putting me over 7 foot in that picture. I am ordering some 15" skywalkers in a few weeks and might have them cut down 13".

That should gve a little more portion to the body. What I might do is find some 15" blocks to stand on to get another picture to help get an idea of how I look. I stll need to do adjustments so haven't sewn anything yet its all pinned right now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some updates....

Tonight I am straightening the chocolate colored hair. Well what I have ordered so far. The good thing about the one I ordered is there is not much krimp to it making it very easy to straighten.

I also ordered my brand new Skywalker stilts!

Ok here goes with some pics....
First off the shirt is nearly complete on the size. Understand that in this pic I was wearing three layers of clothes under the mesh... So its a bit snug. We added a bit of length to the arms and added a small collar to the neck because it felt a bit too big. It is split in the back so can be pinned closed. Still working on the hip area of the shirt it feels very snug may have to take an adjustment there to flare it out a bit. Then it will be on to adding the chest area.

Here is a decent picture of the hair I will be using for the chocolate portion of the body. It has a reddish cast to it in some lights and other lights it is darker but against the creamy white it looks great.

Next we have the skull I am working on. Right now the muzzle is too wide and the nose is still quite human like and I know I need to fix both areas but got frustrated with it a bit and set it to the side will work more on it tomorrow. I am going for a slight mixture in looks between Malla and Chewies head for this mask. Malla has a more rounded face and longer muzzle than I like but I am thinking Chewies head is a bit tall lol.

So this has been this weeks work so far!
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

been studying your head sculpt for a bit tonight and came to a few thoughts.

First you need to add some height to the forehead. I would add a minimum of an inch, but for you I would recomend 2.

You need to add about about 3/4 of an inch to the sides of your face too. The whole face needs to be made thicker.

You have to think about this in a backwards fashion. Once you cast the face, it will need to be pluged to to create a skin that will be about 1/4 inch thick. then you have the under skull. Really you may only have a 1/4 of space on each side of your face when all will be done. But as it stands now you are looking at the mask as a prosthetic.

To get the muzzel area right, you need to position the depth of the mouth at least past the depth of your real nose. In my case. My nose is an inch and a quarter long from base to tip. Yea its big. So the clay is built up an inch and a half away from my mouth. I get that based on that I made the clay a quarter inch off the top of my nose.

once you have this base set up, you can start to put on the face features. This will allow you to put mouth innards too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: