About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=706a4de767b2e617e34e63c651a0bedeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Sharad Hett questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boudicca (Jennifer Bagosy)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Sharad Hett questions Reply with quote

Hi all - so I'm thinking about making an A'Sharad Hett (Edit: Sharad Hett) costume for my husband. He already has suitable pants thanks to a brief stint in SCA and I found some great blue linen for the tunic. But I have a couple questions.

First re the tunic - is the front like a standard shirt front or is it split/does it wrap over like a standard OR Jedi tunic? I've studied the references linked here but it's hard to tell what the front of the tunic looks like due to the bandoliers.

Second, re the red lenses in the eyestalks. Are these really supposed to be on the outside/end of each stalk or is this a misprint in the standards? Because it seems to me that it would make sense if you want the eyes to look red, to attach the red lenses on the inside of the mask where the mask meets the eyestalks, rather than on the end.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated!

Last edited by Boudicca (Jennifer Bagosy) on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Yeo Kero (Charles Wright)
Terrapin Base CO
Terrapin Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can try to help as far as the lenses go. Usually in the illustrations, the lenses are on the end of the eyestalks, which helps because the slits on the underside helps with airflow. I can tell you from wearing my tusken bucket that airflow is important, since mine is mostly rubber. I know in the movies the tusken raiders didn't have lenses that you could see, and in issues with A'Sharad, lenses weren't visible. That was probably by the illustrator's interpretation as it would vary from issue to issue, and sometimes page to page. I'd mostly leave that up to the costume judges to determine though.

Terrapin Base Commanding Officer
2013 Annapolis Comic Con 1st place costume winner
Lord Warden of the Royal Privies
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeo Kero wrote:
I think you mean Sharad Hett. A'Sharad is his son.

I can try to help as far as the lenses go. Usually in the illustrations, the lenses are on the end of the eyestalks, which helps because the slits on the underside helps with airflow. I can tell you from wearing my tusken bucket that airflow is important, since mine is mostly rubber. I know in the movies the tusken raiders didn't have lenses that you could see, and in issues with A'Sharad, lenses weren't visible. That was probably by the illustrator's interpretation as it would vary from issue to issue, and sometimes page to page. I'd mostly leave that up to the costume judges to determine though.

Oops, how embarrassing! Embarassed Pardon me; I'm still a noob who's catching up on EU lore Smile Yes, Sharad Hett. Thanks for the thoughts on the lenses & airflow issues. I'm guessing he'll need to get resin pieces (as opposed to aluminum) for the eyestalks so the slits can be dremeled out.
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find the standards for Sharad here:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8975

Rest In Peace Iceobel - Faithful Dog - August 1997 - July 2011

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you - I had been looking at the right standard, just got my names crossed in the post! Smile

The question I have re the tunic is a more specific one. While the Costume Standard specifies the color, sleeve length, hemming, etc., it doesn't say whether it's open or closed in the front, & I can't tell from the reference photos. I had assumed it would be a standard T-tunic with the sleeves, length, and neckline shown in the comic:

But based on these pics in the photobucket album linked to the costume standards, I can't tell if the front is supposed to be open. The first looks like a WIP shot and is open; the second shows the costumer wearing the tunic, but it looks like the front is one single piece & not split in front:

Just want to be sure I make this correctly so that I only have to do it once!
Terrapin Base CO
Terrapin Base CO

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boudicca wrote:

I think it's an open tunic with the opening and trim running along and under the bandolier. If you look by his right hand and look down, you can see where it overlaps. Some of the weathering gives it away just a touch. So I'd say it's just like a Jedi outer tunic, maybe?

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, possibly.... I guess I had thought that was the side seam as opposed to a split in the tunic.

I'd like to be able to make the front as one solid piece if possible & if arguably accurate. Even though a Jedi-style tunic would be easier for me to sew since I just made him a Jedi (albeit with Rog's tutorial that has the seam at the waist) and I still have the pattern I made.. I think a solid front would be easier for him to keep in place while trooping. If he's counting on the bandolier to cover a split in the front, that'll work great until he actually starts moving around.... Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have answered my own question! This pic really looks like a Jedi tunic to me. Also looks like he is wearing a black under-tunic.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, next question - what should I use for the red lenses - where would I go for transparent red round pieces (or pieces that can be cut)?
Terrapin Base CO
Terrapin Base CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the lenses you can probably find some clear plastic sheeting found in home improvement stores, using a power tool like a dremel to cut out your shape (and when working with power tools and plastic, wear as much protective gear as you can. That plastic gets hot, melts and can cause some nasty burns) then file them down until you get your round shape. As for the coloring, you can probably use reflective automotive tint sold in most auto parts stores.

I'm sure there are some places that'll sell lenses made to fit, but it'd probably cost a small fortune to get something custom made for a small run.

Anakin Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some nice boots for Sharad Hett! how did you make those?

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding tunic ... in sources ... there are flashbacks where is visible that Sharad using long blue jedi tunic Wink ... and later is clearly visible that he using same tunic, but he made it "shorter" ... that is reason why sleeves looks nice and bottom of tunic is scruffy Wink

So, I would propose to go with jedi style tunic Wink

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Executive Officer
Arioch Zam'fal (Scott Hartsock)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the figure shows tunic that is open in the front off center and also has two tabbards that start at the waist.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=Ce6c307uxWIfvM&tbnid=GD6LnLNmx2LmpM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jedi-business.com%2Ffiguredetails.aspx%3Fid%3D294&ei=-I90UrKBELKz4AOFwoHwDg&bvm=bv.55819444,d.cWc&psig=AFQjCNGQ7BaetPKAVjkuBPs7G7RZ7t1qvQ&ust=1383457133044739

I am working on a Tusken now, but have been toying with the idea of going with a Hett after I get the normal Tusken done. I think what you already have looks awesome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: