Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1a442610b9476818309d24c4d7d7dd1aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My Snoova WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome!

CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While waiting for my local shop to resupply hair I have turned to the head.

Ryan's mask, by design, wears like a mask - sits on face with a single strap holding it to the face. It wears heavy on the nose before adding hair. The hair would likely balance that weight but I wanted to address that right off the bat. A helmet design was the approach I adopted so I made some mods.

I took a youth sized Bell X Games skate style helmet and trimmed it to fit the mask to make a hard skull. With padding inside it fits great, distributes the weight nicely and keeps the skull close to my face eliminating the 'sunken eyes' I see on some Wooks.

Now to start some hair work.
BobaFuss (Doug Cottrell)
Canadian Base CO
Canadian Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great!

Rebel Legion Canadian Base C.O.
501st Legion Canadian Garrison G.M.L.
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished my suit latch hooking today. Wow, what a great feeling!

Still have to thin it and clump the hair but that should be a day's work.

Left to do:
-head latch hook
-face punching
-disguise wristguards with hair
-work on Snoova accessories

I hope to wear it in mid February at an indoor, low movement troop. Lots to do but feeling good about it.
jweger77 ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's definitely an accomplishment to be proud of! Congrats on completing the most maddening part of the whole build!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was stalled for a bit over concerns with colours on Snoova's head. With some great input from Marty and the past 501st Legion LMO (who approved Marty's Snoova) I feel confident that I am on the right path to the look I want and approval.

After fitting some mesh to the helmet, I put a strip of black down the back centre. I'm a bald dude so wearing hair again was fun for my kids.

I also built up the brown making hair follicles with fewer strands or hair in them but a great frequency of the follicles. The direction of the follicles is something I had to be aware of to ensure the look I was after.

But, being a bald guy, this step was painful reminder of days past...

Snoova has a flat top. To emulate this I am using a 12" length of hair (halved when latched) I also plan on cutting out an oval of the skate helmet and replacing the hard plastic with a rubber foam that I can punch hair straight into so I get that sticky-uppy look. Hair is being latched in every single hole so that I get coverage of the scalp. If he had long Chewie style hair, I'd latch less frequently as the swept back hair style would cover the scalp adequately.

Hope to be done the top/back of the head within the week and get started on the face punching. I have a set of BITY needles en route. I believe that this will not be my last Wookiee so I thought I'd invest in some quality tools.
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started punching and would love any tips on my technique to get faster or better or whatever.

Snoova has short, spiked hair and, in retrospect, that was a poor choice as far as my first build. Lot's of extra work to conceal the scalp.

anyway, 2:21 vid on my punching start.

Where I got to. Hopefully I can wait for input before going further but this is oddly enjoyable.

My skull with hair latched hair attached (temp with screws, low profile rivets for final) White spot was an adhesive test.

Face laid over skull to show transition.

Thanks for any input.
jweger77 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a tougher route on the top of the head with the closely cropped hair for sure! It's looking great! Nice punching video too. I'm almost to that point as well. I keep finding other things to do on the project...I'm avoiding it for some reason. I've done some tests and they look fine...just have to put my big boy pants on. LOL...

Nice job there! Thanks for sharing this part of the process.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean about putting it off. I've been the same. It is going really well and is quite enjoyable.

Get those big boy pants on and join the game. You'll be glad you did.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I found the helped me keep it moving was a list. Create a list of what needs to be done yet... and just keep knocking off that list. One task by itself will feel like an acomplishment and will motivate you for the next steps.

What I find to be the most difficult is re-doing things to make them better. Once its finished it takes great effort to re-visit the costume.

Keep up the great work you guys!
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRODUCT REVIEW: BITY punch needles

Sorry to say, I am disappointed in this product. The kit comes with a number of needles, with only one size (2 needles) being practical for this build. The needles have barbs on them that catch the hair to be punched through. One of the needles had too few barbs to be useful. The 2nd needle broke after a few hours use with no excessive force being used.

I made my own punch using a dowel and sewing needle as described in a number of areas and found it no less useful or efficient.

Save your money.
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your hair on your head. I am going to suggest you talk to Marty about it. The hair you are currently using is great for alot of things, but standing rigid is not going to be one of them. I think you would be better off looking for a more rigid hair. I think Marty used boars hair? It was a huge stroke of brilliance on his part to change the hair in this area.
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torment wrote:
It was a huge stroke of brilliance on his part to change the hair in this area.

Based on his pics that was not his only 'stroke of brilliance.' 'Tis a work of art.

I have done some things and have a few ideas to address the top hair that should do the trick with no change in the media.
-the top knot latches have been locked in place with a conservative application of liquid latex on each knot. The knots no longer lay flat but point upward. This has been quite effective and invisible.
-the hair seen here is too long. Once shortened, it will have a better chance at standing upright
-the hard top of the skull (fg mask and helmet) has been removed and replaced with a rubber foam pad. Said pad has had a couple layers of liquid latex added to each side of it. I'll be able to punch in so additional hair, directly up/down so I get more sticky-uppy hair. If need be, this is where I will employ another hair medium (boar's hair sounds interesting)
-styling product may be used as well.

I'll never get the flat-top look of the action figure, nor do I want to. Really trying to emulate Marty's look. Absolute respect for what he did.
Charothy ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: My Snoova WIP Reply with quote

berzerker wrote:
I can't imagine adding anything to the amazing and detaild tutorials on these forums so I hope to just use this thread to show periodic progress, ask questions and hope the Wookiee judges and experts can stop me before I go too far down a wrong path.

After seeing Marty's Snoova pics in Nov 2011 on
car navigation system the 501st forums I fell for the costume. Being Darth Maul is nearing its twilight for me so I wanted another marquee character and a Wookiee fit the bill (I know I will forever be called Chewbacca. I can deal with that)

Here is where I am after creating:
-added muscular bulk with modified football shoulder pads, hockey shin guards on the upper arms and hockey pants. 3/4" foam added to the chest (2layers) and back (1 layer) for added bulk.
-Aker amp embedded in the chest armour
-mesh pants (started with hair but went to upper body after considering the foot blending might scrap some/all of my work) Chewie-Changa toes are in the post so I can get back to legs once they arrive.
-mesh shirt (single arm done at the time of this post)
-marked the off-colur patches with bright green and pink craft line so that hooking would be easier.
-added periodic 'follicles' of black for detailing and realism
-bare stilts sized for a 7'7" height pre-head 7'10" desired total height.
-gorilla costume gloves that extend fingers by 1.5"

Colours:
and black (I forget the #)

So, here is a short vid of where I'm at. So how does it look so far proportionally and what should I beware of as I proceed?

That arm is thick and heavy. No thinning has yet been done. Using 16" lengths on the majority of the arm with 24" length for the bottom inch of the cuff and the full length of the underside of the arm.

Oh man from where you got this killing dress? Have you designed it?
berzerker (Andy Pegan)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I designed it myself starting with cheap fabric to get the dimensions right then taking it apart at the seams and making the real mesh suit garments. I wish I could help in a more practical way but I don't have any design or sewing education, just a solid understanding on how to use tools and put things together - that and the willingness to fail and keep trying to get it right. That has helped me with all me sewing builds and has worked out so far (I had to make Darth Maul's robes four times before I was happy)

Another thing that worked when I made my Galactic Marine cover-alls was to go to the thrift shop and buy a garment that was close to what I wanted. Get a seam ripper and take it apart then use those pieces as my pattern or template, making extensions for height where needed.

Good luck. The hardest part is convincing yourself that you can do it. Once you pass that barrier you realize that a Wookiee build, while tedious, is not a difficult build.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: