About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5948bbd0721a68fd39da463d4beca334Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

MC fleet trooper, yavin tech and other helmets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: MC fleet trooper, yavin tech and other helmets Reply with quote

Some of you have seen these pics before as my progress on these goes back several years. I decided to have some fun and compile these pics into a new, cleaned up thread sort of looking back at the creation and also give me a place to share the progress I have yet to make Smile

I started with a Navy talker helmet to create the dome that is the base of the following helmets:

* Yavin technician (Rebel technician / Hangar tech)
* Rebel fleet trooper
* Mechanical Crewman (relatively new / old character to costuming world)
* Gunner
* Imperial Navy (Death star trooper / Death squad commander for us old folks)

I think I posted this originally in October of 2007 so almost exactly 5 years..holy cow :

Achieving the same camera angle is not easy but I think this dome we're working with is pretty close. I even scaled it from a part on top of the R2 and it came out right at 12" from front to back which is what ours measures... We just need to modify the trim lines a little:

That's working from this picture of the flight technician:

This entire scene in the movie is flipped so the characters move from right to left. It's easy to tell by looking at R2. He's all backwards Wink So we're actually looking at the right side of the technician's helmet. There is a comm box on the other side, which would be his left side that is the same as the gunner and fleet trooper.

These were my original test pulls and prototyping steps:

This isn't necessary to post again but it's from my original thread and it still cracks me up:

These were my original prototypes. I think I could have built at least 3 more variations but this was good enough:

Rebel Flight Technician Helmet Style #1

White comm box and white chin cup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rebel Flight Technician Helmet Style #2

Black comm box and black chin cup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rebel Fleet Trooper Helmet Style #1
Only has white forehead piece
No black piece on forehead
Gap on top between forehead piece and tail piece

Rebel Fleet Trooper Helmet Style #2
Gap on top between forehead piece and tail piece.

The helmet in this photo happens to have the black ABS plastic on the forehead
The helmet can have either the black ABS plastic or Black Acrylic plastic on the forehead

Rebel Fleet Trooper Helmet Style #3
NO gap on top between forehead piece and tail piece.

The helmet in this photo happens to have the smoked acrylic plastic on the forehead
The helmet can have either the black ABS plastic or Black Acrylic plastic on the forehead

Rebel Fleet Trooper Helmet Style #4
Gap on top between forehead piece and tail piece.
No Black plastic on forehead
Acrylic lens mounted in down position

NOTICE: These photos are of the incomplete helmet. I have since finished the mold for forming an acrylic lens. The piece shown is black ABS plastic taped in position temporarily to show what the design will look like. (I need to take a new photo of the helmet with the lens)

The Rebel fleet helmet with the lens mounted in the down position can only be used as such. The lens will not interchange with the forehead piece as they are a completely different shape and made from different molds. It is not possible to have a lens that can be used both in the down and up position unless you aren't looking for accuracy.

The first photo shows the foam inside the helmet is cut to the same design as the originals. You can also see the buckle and strap adjustment system for the chin cup in the second photo with the foam removed.

I was playing around with the image I posted above and thought I'd see what it looked like dropped into the screen capture. I think the shape is pretty darned close Smile

Luckily every helmet in the movie is trimmed and assembled differently so I don't have to stress too much about getting the trim lines 100% perfect ... although it makes it a bear to find all the variations if people want a certain style.

While looking through the images way back when I noticed this. I thought it was interesting.... one of these rebels got off with an imperial belt Wink

I finished the gunner helmet since finishing the rebel ones:

Notice the LED's:

And the navy helmet:
The quality of these pics bug me but oh well Wink

And the Mechanical Crewman:

My friend Aaron in his Mechanical Crewman costume from ROTJ:

Since the original fleet and tech helmets were actually painted gray (I'm on the fence as to which I prefer) I painted a few tech helmets Gray.

Here is my friend Aaron in our new jumpsuit, wearing his gray tech helmet and holding a white fleet helmet:

Here is a shot of me and my friend Lance (In our Yavin Tech costumes) at the "Hauntings at the Hangar" event in Denver Colorado for their annual Halloween event. (Tidbit: This is where Celebration 1 was held)

Both of our helmets are gray in the pic. It has to be a very subtle gray to "look" white in photos, like the ones on film.

If you are interested, please send us a PM. My wife Kathy will be the one logging in under my account and answering pm's Smile

Now I am on the hunt for the perfect color webbing material for the tech belts. It has to be a mustardy / light green color. I did find some vintage WWII webbing from a gas mask bag (Indiana Jones / Nabrun Leids in the cantina) that is perfect. Now I just have to find a source.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the Imperial Navy Trooper helmets. The quality is outstanding.

MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill! Smile

I'm just glad you didn't give up on me after "pestering" (is that the right word?) me for so many years to finish the molds ... maybe the word is "encouraging" yeah.. that's the one Very Happy

I think you have the "First" one too Smile
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I'm just glad you didn't mind the "encouraging", or pestering. Wink

MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not at all. I need it sometimes. I'm usually overwhelmed with stuff so sometimes I need a break from the norm or sometimes I need a pick-me-up when the overwhelming becomes depressing.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still pulling RFT lids good sir?
TK-9336, ANH EIB Stunt #133
Midwest Garrison, 501st Legion
Kevin "Doughboy" Skiera

RFT Areiks Renegade 13
Nar Shaddaa Base
Renegade Squad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MonCal ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.. could be Wink

If anyone is interested in anything just shoot us a pm .

Thank you
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done! Sent!
TK-9336, ANH EIB Stunt #133
Midwest Garrison, 501st Legion
Kevin "Doughboy" Skiera

RFT Areiks Renegade 13
Nar Shaddaa Base
Renegade Squad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: