About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0bcbfc8442df52accdcfd1f6edcdb128Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebel Jess's ANH Leia - pic heavy - LCJ Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebel Jess ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Rebel Jess's ANH Leia - pic heavy - LCJ Questions Reply with quote

I'm making a ANH Senatorial Leia. Local base member Jedi Kat is doing most of the sewing and designing for me due to my lack of skills in the sewing department. Due to my hight (5'10) we need to make this in 2 pieces with a waist seam and the whole dress being cut cross grain)

this is about the limit of what I can do Smile

Kat was doing the real work (as well as teaching me how to sew Smile )

We made a mock up of the Leia in a Purple stretch which gave us the shape and fit, without collar or hood. (the bodice is too short but could be easily changed in the new pattern before the real fabric is cut)

fit test (no photo of back)

on a different day we made the mock up of the collar and hood but due to Kat forgetting the remaining fabric we used the fabric of the skirt.
First hood

3 collar and 4 hood variations later (with last 2 being cut in one piece) we were happy with the shape and length and made updated pattern pieces and brought the fabric
final hood design

hood up (not hemmed)

hood down (not hemmed)

Fabric is a Poly spandex blend with awesome drape and a matte finish (which I found as the others I was with were discussing shade of white and I offered this as an option)

on roll

washed and drying

Last edited by Rebel Jess () on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rebel Jess ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a question about the belt as we are not sure about the shape.

I currently have the centre metal piece and 4 of the side ones but am trying to work out the correct shaping for the leather.

Kat has made a template from interfacing and has transfered it to vinyl so it can be used to hem the dress.

Does this shaping look ok??
Rebel Jess ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LCJ boot question

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modern-Lady-Girl-Women-Flat-Tall-Pull-Knee-High-Leather-Boots-4-Colors-Eur36-43-/140882292915?pt=US_Women_s_Shoes&var=440089216579&hash=item20cd3d30b3

would these with the tab on the top removed be approved???
jedi_ric (rick chinn)
Hoth Base CO
Hoth Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the lake, rest is good too.....
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mostly the old republic LCJ, but for the boots, they might be a bit too slouchy. I'd need the opinions of the other LCJs before giving a definitive answer. The rest seems to be coming along great! Be sure to check the standards often, just for a "reality" check off and on.

RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice progress on the mock up. Looking forward to seeing more. It always goes so much faster when a friend is helping. I think the belt looks good but as Rachel mentions, check the standards to be sure.
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Jedi Kat (Katherine)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the person doing the sewing I can say I'm happy to have finished the dress (well except I need to resew on the collar and hood as it didn't finish as neatly as the rest).

For the belt we are still needing the other 3 plates but think the shape when on is right. (I drew 9 so i knew overlap)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're making quick progress.
jedi_ric (rick chinn)
Hoth Base CO
Hoth Base CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
I'm mostly the old republic LCJ, but for the boots, they might be a bit too slouchy. I'd need the opinions of the other LCJs before giving a definitive answer. The rest seems to be coming along great! Be sure to check the standards often, just for a "reality" check off and on.

A words on boots?
Rebel Jess ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are resent progress pictures.
Still need to see about boots, a hood adjustment needs to be made and got all belt pieces just need to be put together. Then its the hair and all is done. Smile

Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedi_ric wrote:
Mieal Deneb wrote:

A words on boots?

I agree with Rachel. I think the boots are a bit too slouchy. I'd prefer to see a boot that has no slouching on them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the boots are too slouchy. You can particularly see that if you're not just looking at the first pic in the listing, but scroll down that listing and see the boots being worn - they slouch down the further you scroll down.

That having said, I'm kind of wondering why, if I click on the 'store' (or any of the categories listed to the left of the listing), Ebay tells me that the seller has no items in his store, even if the boots are obviously for sale (which would indicate that the seller would have at least those boots in his store).
Anyone seeing the same when clicking the seller's store or is that because I'm in Germany (which I don't think would be the cause since the seller ships worldwide)?
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see 734 items in the sellers store. I changed my shipping to Germany to try to reproduce what you are/are not seeing but it didn't seem to change my view.
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the reason the boots look too "slouchy" is because of the model wearing them. If I am reading the specs correctly, the boots measure 37 cm circumference, which I think is roughly 14.6 inches. Most of the boots I own are of at least 15 inches at the widest part (calf). The model appears to have smallish legs, which would most likely cause the boots to slouch at the ankles.

Just a thought.
Bespin Escape Leia (all finished except the pix!)
Breha Organa (Planning/acquiring materials; dye testing)
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on that. I have wide calves and in order to find boots without zippers that still fit I need to look for slouchy boots, but they are definitely not slouchy on me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: