About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=22e83f6adc09ee5cd073e7418f7388a7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Episode II travel/refugee gown
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaclynGFC (Jaclyn Duhe)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That headdress is amazing! I love making things look like something they are actually not. Great job and I can't wait to see the finished product.
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The headdress is gorgeous and so is your hair! Amadalia

I'm really excited to see the next step in this. Mr. Green

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone! And my hair is usually really just a wild mess of slightly curly, waist-long tangles - which is why I usually wear a variety of braided styles...

Lora Skywalker wrote:
I'm really excited to see the next step in this. Mr. Green

Me too!
And...

...drumroll...

...my printed fabrics for the complete dress will arrive on Tuesday if I can trust FedEx's tracking information Mr. Green

...so lots of updates coming next week; I may even be mostly finished in a week from now on since I've already prepared my patterns and everything else I will need - just waiting for that fabric.
I'm SO glad this is finally happening; and am SO looking forward to finish (and wear!) this costume Mr. Green

Oh, and just before I forget this - someone asked me if I would rescale my printed designs to doll size so she could order them and make a doll dress.
Guess what? She did and sent me a pic, and it's gorgeous even at the very small scale. I MUST ask her if I'm allowed to share that doll costume photo here!
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naergi wrote:

Oh, and just before I forget this - someone asked me if I would rescale my printed designs to doll size so she could order them and make a doll dress.
Guess what? She did and sent me a pic, and it's gorgeous even at the very small scale. I MUST ask her if I'm allowed to share that doll costume photo here!

Oh, yes! Please do. I would really like to see it.
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got permission promptly! Smile

This costume was made with the Spoonflower printed fabrics for base dress and cape, which I scaled down and made available on request of her, by Liz!

Note that this isn't a Tonner sized doll (for which she also plans to make the dress!), it's actually BARBIE SIZED. If you ever made a doll costume for Barbie, you will know what that means (as in... tiny, tiny, tiniest!).

I find it absolutely fabulous; and I think it really shows what the colors of the fabric look like from 'further away' (as in: smaller!)! Mr. Green
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I love this! *flaps arms in excitement*
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fabrics have arrived! Mr. Green

Immediately after they arrived (and after taking these photos!), I watered them - as in, I put them one by one in the bathtub and carefully rinsed them with a-bit-more-than-warm-but-not-too-hot water.
I'm not washing them in the machine, no matter how gentle the cycle and / or the detergent, because Spoonflower printed fabrics have the tendency to develop faded 'folds' in the washing machine but STILL shrink if they're washed.
Since I'm planning to have the finished dress dry cleaned, the 'watered in the bathtub' method works well to preshrink them.
The fabrics now hang to dry; as soon as they're mostly dry I'll iron them with lotsa steam... and after that... I can finally start sewing :-D
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabrics ironed and cut to the pattern I made - here's a first quick picture of the just pinned dress on my dress mannequin to see if it fits (with the sleeves obviously still missing):

The colors look off; the golden is almost orange in this picture; it's probably because I took the picture indoors with a flash under bad artificial light. If you look at the two pics which I posted in the last posting.. that's what the colors actually look like.

Now that I know that it fits I can cut another layer of cotton, to flat line all pattern pieces with - nothing worse than a flimsy dress; and Padmé's dresses are everything but flimsy (with the exception of her nightgowns).
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awazing doll costume! Mr. Green

And Emperor's black bones! You work fast! I'm half expecting you to be done the next time I check this thread. Wink

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how on earth did you do that so fast? Wow! Looks amazing!

Mynocks deliver Babies
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me hopes the term "awazing" will eventually be added to dictionaries Mr. Green

I don't work so fast. It's just that I've been preparing to make this costume for almost six months. The only thing missing were the fabrics; I had my patterns drafted out, had bought stabilizers, lining and thread; so all I needed was the darn fabrics.
Considering that yesterday I just watered, ironed and cut the fabric - that's not really much.

Today I've sewn the base dress up as far as you can see in the previous "just pinned" picture. It's not really looking different from that picture, except that the pins are out and the sewing thread is in; plus, it's flat lined with another fabric.

I've been thinking about two things.

First, the original base dress does have a turtleneck collar. You can see that in the very first picture on this site, which is apparently the only picture in existence which shows the base dress without the cape.
Now, the cape has yet *another* turtleneck collar. The difference between the base dress- and cape collar is that the base dresses' collar is made from the same patterned fabric as the base dress; while the cape collar is "just" plain golden.
As you may know I'm planning to wear this dress at Celebration Europe in July, which usually happens to be a pretty hot month in Germany.
I'm very sure that I DON'T want to wear two collars on top of each other when it's so hot; particularly if one of the collars will never be seen except if someone is watching me while I put the dress on and am not yet wearing the cape.
This is why I've decided to give the base dress just a regular, U-Shaped neckline instead of adding the turtleneck. In case I ever want to wear this costume for trooping while it's not so hot, I can still wear one or two thermal shirts under it.

Second thing is the buttons on the cape. There are two rows of buttons, one on each side of the cape with at least 15 buttons on each side (!).
All of those buttons close with tiny loops.
The loops are attached to the 'front' of the cape; the buttons are sewn to the 'back' of the cape.
At least one of those two sides has indeed to be 'closeable', because otherwise, you wouldn't be able to get the cape over the head.

I'm thinking about attaching the loops to the front side on both left and right, then to sew the *right* side completely closed (front and back piece), then sew the *left* side approximately 2/3 close, and just leave the remaining 1/3 from mid-shoulder to neck open.
That way I can close the actually *closing* buttons on that upper 1/3 on the *left* shoulder with my right hand. I will never need to worry that the loops on pretty much the entire cape will slip over the buttons because all loops / buttons on the cape (save for the left upper 1/3 portion) will be just decoration over closed seams.

Does that sound logical?
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naergi, I love everything about your progress so far. Your head dress is amazing and I love that you went to all the effort of getting the fabric specially made! That is dedication!! Thumbs up bow

JediDWH (Lisa Curtis)
Sunrider Base CO
Sunrider Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am too delirious to know if your button ideas make sense, but the fabric turned out, well, awazing! Laughing Seriously, I cannot wait to see the finished product, because this is just beautiful so far.

In solidarity with the VFX industry, who brought the Star Wars we know and love to life, I'm going green screen.

My Etsy shop: Sew Corellian
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts on fabric................drool.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! All your efforts in drafting patterns and creating that spoonflower fabric design really paid off. That came together spectacularly even in the pin-together stage. You are really making me want to make this dress for myself.

Button idea totally makes sense. The buttons are gorgeous, but there is absolutely no reason why you should have to button them and unbutton them every time put take it on and off. Keeping it sewed together mostly, would also keep buttons from coming undone too while you wear it.

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: