About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=27eb2ddfc9adac9ca15254062c38ba7dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Working toward Walking Deads...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oh58mech ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Working toward Walking Deads... Reply with quote

I've always been a Y-wing fan, so I've been trying to settle on Pops

Dutch

OR, maybe X it up with Red Ten

I like how their helmets are unlike many of the others, pretty unique symbols, no rebel birds. Maybe someday I'll get around to all three.

One thing I find curious is Gold Five's chin strap, which is obviously not just an elastic band as all the other appear to be. How hard (if at all?) are the standards on that?

I will find progress pics and post what I've got so far. It's a been a long road so far with semi-troubled build.

Last edited by oh58mech () on Thu May 30, 2013 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
oh58mech ()

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last progress was a while ago, when I was definitely shooting for ol' Pops. Now that the winter months are here, time to plug in the space heater and head out to the workshop.

The mohawk angles and depth as well as the width of the helmet seem a little muted on this kit, but I guesstimated 3" circles roughly centered front.

First, trimming the angles of the edges out a bit-

Using a dremel,

with different bits to finally get to here:

Not exactly helmet progress, but a couple of other things- using 220 grit sand paper, wet sanded the classic Tandy weld marks out of the belt buckle and get the "brushed" look better:

And instead of investing time and money in making a holster, I found a bargain box of old leather holsters at a local gun shop, only 5 BUCKS! Just needed a quick slit to accommodate the scope bracket.

It's no drop leg holster, but it's at a pretty good quick-draw height:
[/b]
oh58mech ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few "detail" questions, as I'm just having a hard time with some of the final touches... though a little more digging in reference to my questions and I just answered a few of them... phew.

So nothing in regards to Gold Five's chin strap? I'll go with what is standard for all the others then.

I ordered two feet of 1" nylon for the mini flares, I'm hoping 12" is enough for each side. I've seen these together-

and slightly spaced-

Thoughts on either approach?

My seamstress friend and I were having a hard to trying to figure out the vest clasps via the given photos in the tutorial, but found these on RPF to be more clear, helpful. Might be worth seeing if they can be shared? (Hopefully they're correct...?!)

... I really thought I had more questions than that. I think I'm going to take advantage of MonCal's holiday sale on his stellar chestboxes, as well as another bucket or two (pretty sure I'm going to settle on Gold Five and Red Ten).

More updates soon, hopefully... happy December everyone Cool
oh58mech ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**double posted, sorry**

Last edited by oh58mech () on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ManHatTan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some good reference pics from this site.....

I don't want to post their pics, but you can always go there and check it out........

HTH
oh58mech ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next little bump in the road, hopefully an easy fix?

I ordered a few feet of this 1 inch flat nylon webbing in "Silver Gray" from strapworks.com. But, as the photos show, there seems to be a bit of a mismatch- more of a blue/green than the warmer tone. 2 inch variety was the also from strapworks, also Silver Gray. It was suggested that it may just be a different dye batch?

Questions are- is this going to be an issue for approval? It's still kind of an eye sore to me regardless... Is there any way to maybe mildly bleach/dye the 1" nylon? Can I ask for a different Silver Grey?

My camera isn't great, but you get the idea. It's more obvious in person.

Flashy

No Flashy

Thoughts? Thanks. Y wing
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be fine. If you have to weather it up with a little shoe polish and that will help cover your color difference. Since the miniflare straps are small, they shouldn't be noticeable enough to dock your approval.
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vest buckles are spot on. Also +1 for keeping the spacing tight on the vest ribs. Looking at hi-res photos of the screen used costumes, the ribs/tubes are spaced just a bit smaller than their diameter:

Archived Member Profile

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like your on track, it will be awesome to add to the ranks of the walking dead.
oh58mech ()

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gone but not forgotten... happy late Memorial Day.

Things have been pretty hectic with the news of flight school and my move to Alabama, but I was able to reorder some nylon (still a little off on color, but much closer than the last batch) and my friend with the tools capable of sewing all my webbing together helped me out before heading south.

Hopefully once I link up with my new Rebel/Legion mates I can get the final touches taken care of and have this finally approved!

HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. One thing you'd like to look into though is shortening your shoulder straps so that your vest rides higher. It should cover your upper chest and start only about a couple inches below the collar.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: