About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9b2e5e6084757f6f4a75e4ad668376f4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebels needed for parade - 10/15/05

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base -> Endor Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Rebels needed for parade - 10/15/05 Reply with quote

I got request for rebels from the GGG/501st:

OTIS FALL CARNIVAL/LINCOLN MARCHING BAND STAR WARS PARADE

The Golden Gate Garrison, Star Wars Fan Force and the Rebel Legion have been invited to participate in the Lincoln Middle School Marching Band Star Wars Parade in Alameda on October 15, 2005, from 9 am to 11 am. Changing room will be available at around 8:30 am at the Lincoln Middle School, which is located at 1250 Fernside Blvd.

The Lincoln Band will dress in Star Wars costumes and march from Lincoln School to Otis School while playing a medley of Star Wars music. The organizer of the event plans to film the marching band as they march and play as an audition tape for a future Disneyland performance. In addition, they will invite grade school children from Otis School to march along in the parade, and join in listening to a short concert of music once we arrive at Otis School. The band is made up of 145 members, and appeared at DisneyWorld in Orlando, Florida last June of 2005.

All Star Wars costumes are welcome, however, only members who attend in their 501st approved costumes would receive Golden Gate Garrison Tour of Duty credit.

Detailed Description from the Event Coordinator, Dan Dooha-Chambers:

They will all show up in some form of science-fiction-space related costumes. The music they are playing includes the 20th Century Fox Fanfare, May the Force be with you, Imperial March and the Star Wars Main Theme. The band will have this all memorized so that they can march in step and in 7 across formation. Right now, it looks like somewhere between 135-140 instrumentalists will be marching with the band. I will be a blue alien with white hair and horns.

In answer to your main question--Yes, I am the band and parade coordinator for this event. It is about a 5-6 block march through the neighborhood from our school (Lincoln Middle School) to Otis Elementary School. The parade route is along neighborhood streets so there is no problem with blocking off the parade route or a lot of cross traffic. The neighborhood knows we are coming---they just don't know if we will have any special guest stars or not.

The band is reporting to Lincoln Middle School in Alameda (1250 Fernside Blvd.) at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday October 15th to put last minute touches on their costumes, load up music stands, cases and music for the standing concert at Otis Elementary that will start at 10:00 a.m.(to 10:15 a.m.)

The game plan is to make our way across Fernside Blvd. to Madison Avenue where we will line up and tune up starting at about 9:00 a.m. We plan to step off at 9:15 a.m. and make our way up to Peach Street where we will turn left and march down three blocks to Calhoun Street. Any Otis Elementary students that wish to may join us there where we will stop---turn right and reform the band up on Calhoun. From there it's 2-3 blocks to Otis School.

We should reach the corner of Calhoun at about 9:30 a.m. After we step off at Calhoun---we should reach the Otis Elementary campus at about 9:45 a.m.

Once there, the band will set up and play a short standing concert starting at 10:00 a.m. The concert set will consist of Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Tales from the Crypt, So Long and Thanks for all the Fish (from the Hitchhiker's Guide) and of course---The Star Wars Medley.

Along the way to Otis School (while we are marching), I am going to have one of my parents film the band marching and playing. We may be able to use this as an audition video for a performance at Disneyland in June of 2006----I really don't know how "hot" the band will be at marching by Saturday the 15th. I do know that the band is sounding great on the music---they sound like a good high school group.

If this reaches you in time---we would still like to have some of the Garrison march with us. It would make a lot of kids (both mine and the elementary kids) experience really great!!! I've been doing Star Wars music since 1977 and I think this will be my last time as I'm set to retire in about 2-3 years. What a great way to cap a 28 year love affair with Darth, Han, Leia, Luke, Obi Wan et al.

We have changing space available at our school where mortals can change into their characters. I live 5 minutes from the school and can be there extra early if necessary. There is parking space at our school for private cars and shuttle craft. I have parents that can drive characters back from Otis School so the 6 block march has to be only one way.

Total time involved: Saturday October 15, 2005 8:00 or 8:30 a.m until 10:00 or 10:30 a.m. or whenever you no longer feel The Force.

There will be lots of middle school band members and kindergarden through 6th grade students that would like an up close and personal with your Star Wars characters.

We would love to have anyone that can attend and if not---that's o.k. too!

Thanks for your consideration!

Dan Dooha-Chambers

Please post here ASAP if you can go, and what costume you have. so I can forward to the 501st.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base -> Endor Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: